Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
my first post here.

A short story, during the X58 years I was living in a cheap apartment and was very bored. For something to do I built 3 X58 (I7) gaming rigs all retail parts from places like Microcenter, and best gaming components for the time. They all have I7 - 920 CPU's. Shortly after this I purchased a home and all three of these rigs have been put in a closet with basically no use from time they were built.

Every one is basically new with no time on them. And I just bought new Xeon 5650 CPU's for each from Fleabay but have not even tried to install them yet b/c no time and they were so affordable.

So, are they worth selling as I will never use them. I would not take a measly 100 bux for one but are they worth more than that? Or am I going to have these forever taking up closet space?

Last thing I did with them is upgrade retail W7 to 10, and added SSD hard drives, Bios have never been flashed on any of them. Everything would be included for each.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Are you trying to sell the whole setup or just the i7? 920s aren't worth much these days, sub $10 on ebay.

Depending on the motherboard, the whole thing could be worth a bit. Personally, selling the board and using the 920 as a way to protect the socket would probably be the best way to do it, anyone who wants an X58 board these days probably already has a 920 or better OR wants to throw in a cheap Xeon and muck around with it.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Depends on how much effort you want to put into it or how quickly you want it gone.
Parting the system for components is almost always more profitable, but you're selling a handful of things instead of 1. Cases are tough to move due to shipping costs.
If you have boxes for everything, which I doubt, that helps.
Otherwise, selling the system as a whole is not terrible these days. With all the shortages for new stuff, there's plenty of demand for lower end systems for home schooled kids and whatnot.
The whole "this is almost brand new" stuff will yield some premium, but really not much. X58 is too old to be new and too new to be old, if that makes sense. If these were Socket 939 Athlon XP rigs, that would be hot stuff right now.

·
Premium Member
9,993 Posts
@OP

Assuming just board + cpu + ram (which seems to sell fastest) I think depending on your boards you should expect something like 75~200.

Example; Crosshair Rampage Formula + 960 + 16gb RAM should gross about $150~200 on ebay. Higher boards maybe bit more and lesser boards, less (obviously).

If I were you and intending to offload I would sell the board+cpu+ram and get whatever you can get.

HOWEVER - one thing you may look into is whether or not those specific chips are worthwhile as IIRC 920's were special for overclockers (special in the sense that some one or two steppings nearly gauranteed 4ghz+ or something) and stepping dependent may hold somewhat higher value somehow. Can't be sure, you'd have to look into that. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks,

All rigs are name brand, such as the Intel mobo, Mushkin ram to the max on each board, and the new Xeon 6 core not installed yet along with the stock installed 920. Really it's crazy I never used them. Thought they may be more appealing than buying Chinese knock-off's and literally like brand new. Not to mention the power supply's , SSD's and retail windows included.
Looking at prices these days I thought a few hundred dollars or so would be lucrative for a turn key system that is still viable for gaming or CAD.

·
Registered
2,147 Posts
@OP

Assuming just board + cpu + ram (which seems to sell fastest) I think depending on your boards you should expect something like 75~200.

Example; Crosshair Rampage Formula + 960 + 16gb RAM should gross about $150~200 on ebay. Higher boards maybe bit more and lesser boards, less (obviously).

If I were you and intending to offload I would sell the board+cpu+ram and get whatever you can get.

HOWEVER - one thing you may look into is whether or not those specific chips are worthwhile as IIRC 920's were special for overclockers (special in the sense that some one or two steppings nearly gauranteed 4ghz+ or something) and stepping dependent may hold somewhat higher value somehow. Can't be sure, you'd have to look into that. Just a thought.
D0 stepping. Could get those guys up to 4.2ghz. great chips.

As for the parts, basically what everyone else said. If it's a high end Asus, or an actively cooled EVGA x58 board, they go for a decent amount of money. The chip is nothing but fodder unless it's a D0 that can do 4.3-4.5ghz on decent voltage. People are still interested in those in some circles.

• Rep+
Reactions: GanjaSMK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Hot Dog .....
yes one of the boards is the EVGA and I am 99% sure I remember the chips being the SLBEQ versions ....
will have to pull fans to be sure tho ..

I am not into overclocking and have never done it. Prolly never will either.

So I have the Intel DMX58SO rig
the EVGA X58 FTW3 rig
the ECS Black X58 rig

these even have PC power and cooling power supply's .. wow

1 - 8 of 8 Posts