1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
I could be completely wrong, but I've heard that the current sata6/3.0 boards have weird PCI issues. Supposedly if you're using USB 3.0 or SATA6, it lowers the width of your PCI-E slots. I know I'm not just making this up.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
maybe someone will chime in that has had personal experiences with these.

·
Knows the Song of Time
3,662 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BADFASTBUSA
View Post

maybe someone will chime in that has had personal experiences with these.

Aside from it being a hideous color, that Gigabyte looks like the winner of the two.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have never cared what a mobo looks like, I care how they perform and how they are laid out. Looks is the last thing in my consideration of a motherboard... Really, who is going to look at it, my 2yr old or my wife? LMAO

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Already been posted by me, but thats aight

There is a PCI problem w/ P55 when USB 3.0 is enabled, it makes your first slot run at x8 rather than x16. I believe ASUS made there boards to where they don't do this, and I also believe this isn't a problem w/ X58 since it has a lot of lanes. I like Gigabyte better, but I don't like there board layout, so I plan to grab that ASUS board if Foxconn or EVGA don't release any USB 3.0 boards around Christmas time.

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I might wait to see what everyone else comes out with

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by lj516
View Post

i would love to see what the gigabyte board gets for reviews! If it does well then that will be my future i7/i9 motherboard for sure! And i think it looks sexy!

you and me both!

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Maybe it's just me but I don't like the way USB 3 and SATA 6 Gbps are being implemented to new motherboards. It seems like a tacky way of implementing very new technology to more or less old chipsets.
I'm buying a new system some time soon and I'm steering clear of those new motherboards no matter what. When support for USB 3.0 and SATA 6 Gbps start being relevant, I'll just buy an addon controller, or maybe by then I'll want/need to change the motherboard to one that has native chipset support for those two.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
oh are you talking about my board?

as of now there are no hd(not even my intel ssd) benefits from the sata 6 nor there are any usb 3.0 devices.

as for overclocking. i finally got my ******ed window 7 installed(blame the 30 dollar student discount package) and so far everything flies lol. the cooling on this is very well put. there are two additional cooling plate on the back, and it came with a 40mm(?) fan for the north bridge cooling, which fits perfectly right on top of my megahalem. this board is very nice laid out with 6 sata 3.0 and 2 sata 6.0 using marvell controllers. i'm planning on doing a full review by this weekend when i get the chance to really push this 2000mhz ddr3 ram+everything else

p.s i do have some issues with the bios, for some reason everytime i try to save changes the DRIM LED would light up like 4th of july and the thing just restarts, another issue is when installing win 7 detecting my ssd was like trying to win the lottery.

this board does have 16+2 phase like the p6t deluxe v2 and same oc utility.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently decided to build my 1st computer. While I am not into heavy gaming, I am into serious photography & the build would mimik a lot of the needs of a gaming computer.
I was lookig at these 2 boards & the Gigabit board just under the one listed here, the GA-EX58A-UD5.
It is Feb. now & I really expedted to see more manufactures jumping in the ring to build these USB Sata 6 boards. There are several USB 3 items out there & a lot more to follow. For me the huge am,ount of back up of image files is the reason I want the usb 3 option.

I wonder if anyone else has used any of these boards since Nov 09. I was leaning toward the Gigabyte EX58A UD5 but saw a few complaints about the board when someone tried to use a SSD to boot from the Marvel controller. The complaint was addressed by Gigabyte so maybe that problem is fixed.

I also heard several preferred the ASUS setup a little better. I was about ready to buy th ASUS & the price jumped $20 today. Guess I will hold off a little longer while I pick all my other stuff in hopes it comes back down.

I really thought there would be more options than these 2 boards or a over $400 board.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Traz
View Post

I recently decided to build my 1st computer. While I am not into heavy gaming, I am into serious photography & the build would mimik a lot of the needs of a gaming computer.
I was lookig at these 2 boards & the Gigabit board just under the one listed here, the GA-EX58A-UD5.
It is Feb. now & I really expedted to see more manufactures jumping in the ring to build these USB Sata 6 boards. There are several USB 3 items out there & a lot more to follow. For me the huge am,ount of back up of image files is the reason I want the usb 3 option.

I wonder if anyone else has used any of these boards since Nov 09. I was leaning toward the Gigabyte EX58A UD5 but saw a few complaints about the board when someone tried to use a SSD to boot from the Marvel controller. The complaint was addressed by Gigabyte so maybe that problem is fixed.

I also heard several preferred the ASUS setup a little better. I was about ready to buy th ASUS & the price jumped $20 today. Guess I will hold off a little longer while I pick all my other stuff in hopes it comes back down.

I really thought there would be more options than these 2 boards or a over $400 board.

here ya go
http://www.overclock.net/intel-mothe...thread-19.html
ask away

1 - 13 of 13 Posts