Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just received the AMD Phenom II X6 1090T CPU and have it installed. I cleaned out my computer of dust before installing it and am shocked to notice that at stock clock speeds, my new CPU runs at 18°C idle and 28°C full load..!
That's a reduction of 16°C idle and 19°C full load from my previous CPU, AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3 at 3.8GHz with 1.4750V. That's also with Cool 'n' Quiet and Turbo Core disabled!

Anyway, I'm obviously interested in overclocking this CPU as much as I can. I believe I've now got it stable at 4.0GHz with 1.5000V. Just below this voltage gave some errors and an occasional blue screen. Considering my temperatures and the CPU itself, what would you say is the maximum voltage it can take?
Would you say it's 1.5500V as it was on the AMD Phenom II X4 965 C3?
That said, my temperatures are damn good!!
At 4.0GHz with 1.5000V, I get 21°C idle and 37°C full load (with 3ds Max 2010 and Prime95).

·

13,001 Posts
Yeah 1.55v is the safe limit for the chip. But I have to point out that there is a temperature bug with Thuban where the sensors are off by 10'C or so on the cores.

You have to read the socket temperature as it's the one that is accurate.

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post
Yeah 1.55v is the safe limit for the chip. But I have to point out that there is a temperature bug with Thuban where the sensors are off by 10'C or so on the cores.

+1

1.55 water
1.5 air

youw ant 55C on either options.

·
Banned
461 Posts
i wouldn't put any more than 1.5 into her for 24/7 use to be honest. Ive heard that the thuban cores don't tolerate/ don't like or need as high of volts as the denebs vcore wise. For example El Gappo ( benchmark editor here at OCN) stated that 1.475 volts is a good reference point for 3.8+ ish ghz for 24/7 use anything above that is more of a benchmarking only voltage = ].

Sorry if my grammar etc is crap this morning, just woke up so im a bit sluggish = ]

hope that helps!

sugarmankie

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by MrTOOSHORT View Post

Ahh, I see, I see. That would make more sense. I'm guessing the program Core Temp reads the core temperature, hence the name, so how do I access the socket temperature?
How precise would one expect the socket temperature to be, though?
I wouldn't think the cores are the same temperature as the socket.

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarmankie View Post
i wouldn't put any more than 1.5 into her for 24/7 use to be honest. Ive heard that the thuban cores don't tolerate/ don't like or need as high of volts as the denebs vcore wise. For example El Gappo ( benchmark editor here at OCN) stated that 1.475 volts is a good reference point for 3.8+ ish ghz for 24/7 use anything above that is more of a benchmarking only voltage = ].

Sorry if my grammar etc is crap this morning, just woke up so im a bit sluggish = ]

hope that helps!

sugarmankie
Thanks, yeah, I used to use 1.4750V on my X4 965 C3 CPU for 3.8GHz and 24/7 use. When I overclock, I'm in it for 24/7 as I don't much care about benchmarks. Therefore if 1.5000V is indeed stable for 4.0GHz for me, then 4.0GHz is what it stays at!

·

13,001 Posts
Socket and core temperatures of a cpu can vary up to about 5'C difference between them.

If you'd like, just add 10'C to your cpu cores temps while loading prime95 or another cpu stresser program.

PCProbeII software works also since you have an asus board. That program reads the socket temps of your cpu.

• Rep+
Reactions: Gib007

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've noticed Everest seems to give the precise CPU temperature, which is indeed about 10°C higher than the Core temperatures listed below it. Thanks for that information!

·
Premium Member
5,940 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gib007 View Post
I've noticed Everest seems to give the precise CPU temperature, which is indeed about 10°C higher than the Core temperatures listed below it. Thanks for that information!
NP and good that you figured it out
!

·
Registered
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So now that that dilemma is out of the way, my idle CPU temperature is 33°C and my full load CPU temperature is 46°C. These are about the same as my previous CPU's idle and full load temperatures, but with two extra cores and 200MHz more with a tad higher CPU voltage. Not bad at all!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts