Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im buying a new gaming pc that will last 3 years(i hope so
).
In my country Phenom x4 955BE cost 70$ less than phenom x6 1055T. so would it be better to choose x4 or x6. pc will be used for gaming most.
GPU will be 6850 or gtx 460

·
Banned
136 Posts
just get the x4. but i would wait for either sandy bridge or bulldozer. the K10 really is just slow now and AMD needs a new architecture.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i think that sany bridge or bulldozer will be more exspensive.
here i pay phenom x4 about 200$

·
Banned
136 Posts
you could get an i5 2400 for $180 and overclock it to 3.8GHz. That will be plenty for gaming and blow away an x4 processor at 3.8GHz

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD HATER
View Post

you could get an i5 2400 for $180 and overclock it to 3.8GHz. That will be plenty for gaming and blow away an x4 processor at 3.8GHz

yes, but i5 2400 will sure cost more than 300$ in my country+ a god motherboard

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by test tube
View Post

2400 is fixed multiplier, fail

You fail miserably. The Turbo feature allows up to 8x multiplier constant boost for overclocking, which is equivalent of a 800MHz boost at 100MHz BCLK.

Sit boy, sit.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
The 1055T will not bottleneck any modern GPU, with the exception of SLI 580s, and they overclock very well.

A X6 will last 3 years easy.

The k10 arch is fine, the guy with the name "AMDHATER", is obviously going to hate.

I can play any game maxed out without any lag on my 1055T and 6870, and GTA4 can handle high nighttime shadows pretty well too.

·
Why is it smoking?
4,060 Posts
I'm in a similar situation. At first, I stayed away from dual core CPU's because "nothing supported them". Then I stayed away from quads because "games don't use them". This time around, I'm going with a 1055T. No, it isn't the optimum processor for the latest games. Yes, I could wait for a few months and get a Bulldozer. The thing is, I want a good CPU now, and I want one that will last me for a couple of years. I'm on a pretty tight budget, so the BD platform will more than likely be out of my range anyway. For the same reason, I am avoiding the comparable Intel offerings. Sure, there are i5's and i7's that are faster, but a similarly priced Intel chip ($175ish, with a $100 mobo) is slower and only 2-4 cores. I only run a single monitor at 1920x1080, and I'll be buying and unlocking an HD6950 at the same time, so this combination will be more than enough for both my gaming needs and general use.

If nothing else...hey, easy folding bump.

·
Banned
136 Posts
unless you are encoding video there is no sense getting an x6. No game uses 6 threads, let alone 8 with an i7 so I recommend an i5 build, which is significantly faster clock for clock than K10. 3.8GHz will be enough for any game.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by test tube;11940806
no one on this website is going to pay $20 less to lose 300-600MHz from their OC
this guy is on a budget lol. not everyone can have the best.

he asked for an ample gaming configuration and i stand behind the 2400.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by amd hater;11940561
just get the x4. But i would wait for either sandy bridge or bulldozer. the k10 really is just slow now and amd needs a new architecture.
lolololololololol!!!

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
its definitely better to invest in 955be for gaming coz even with 6 cores the x6 is useless for gaming.....and for even overall purposes it loses most of the benchmarks when compared to an i5 760......if u want something better for gaming from amd u might consider the x4 970 assuming it does not cost as much as the x6......
smile.gif

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Building something now that will be relevant in the next 2-3 years is going to be a very hard task. If you can hold out, I would wait a until the SB stuff hits the market and prices settle in.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AMD HATER
View Post

unless you are encoding video there is no sense getting an x6. No game uses 6 threads, let alone 8 with an i7 so I recommend an i5 build, which is significantly faster clock for clock than K10. 3.8GHz will be enough for any game.

I'm sorry, but you seem to be a troll. your sig rig has SLI 5970 Woot? it's crossfire. the name AMDHATER, says it all. Unless you are going to bring in proper opinions, please stop posting.

The 1055T is a 2.8ghz clocked X4, if you overclock it a tiny bit to 3.2GHZ, which doesnt need more voltage, it's a X4 955 with 6 cores.

And also, the old core i5s (750,760), are around the same as a X4, and a X6 performs the same as a X4, at slightly lower clocks.

If you had more cash,i whould just wait it out for ivy bridge, but a X6 will serve your means for a while!

Again, why get a core i5 750 which competes with the X4 965 clock for clock, when you get get a X6. a X6 performs when slightly Overclocked as a Core i5 750 with 2 extra cores!

Now, you dont need 6 cores now, but when the new XBOXes come out they will likely have a grappy GPU and a 8-12 core CPU

·
Banned
136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT
View Post

And also, the old core i5s (750,760), are around the same as a X4, and a X6 performs the same as a X4, at slightly lower clocks.

The current i5 is significantly faster than K10. The new i5 2xxx line I suggested is even faster clock for clock. You may have seen even results when comparing a 2.8GHz i5 to a 3.4GHz Phenom. Bump the clocks so they are equal and you will see the difference.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpeedNuggeT
View Post

Now, you dont need 6 cores now, but when the new XBOXes come out they will likely have a grappy GPU and a 8-12 core CPU

lol xbox?

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFrank
View Post

Building something now that will be relevant in the next 2-3 years is going to be a very hard task. If you can hold out, I would wait a until the SB stuff hits the market and prices settle in.

this

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMD HATER;11940876
The current i5 is significantly faster than K10. The new i5 2xxx line I suggested is even faster clock for clock. You may have seen even results when comparing a 2.8GHz i5 to a 3.4GHz Phenom. Bump the clocks so they are equal and you will see the difference.
Mate, it's a not really a big deal. it's not like going from a pentium 4 to a core 2 duo. it's a very subtle difference, and the 2 extras core bring futureproofing. if you wish to argue, please PM me.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I would suggest waiting for Sandy Bridge unless you're stone-set on AMD, in which case, you should probably get the x4. In three years time it's doubtful whether games will support six cores and you could just put the extra $60 into a good cooler, like the Thermaltake Frio or Noctua NH-D14.

It turns out the Noctua NH-D14 costs a lot in America.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts