1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rectangle Font Urban design Space Darkness

First AMD Apex motherboard.

26-phase VRM

"We could see this new Apex board featuring support well into the 7000MT/s range, if not 8000MT/s."

A possible PCB layout diagram of the ASUS ROG Crosshair X670E APEX motherboard was leaked to the web. We could tell it's the APEX, looking at its 1DPC (one DIMM per channel) memory layout. The ROG APEX line of motherboards are geared toward extreme overclocking, with 1DPC being the best possible memory topology. We could make out several features from this diagram. The board draws power from a combination of 24-pin ATX, two 8-pin EPS, and a 6-pin PCIe. A mammoth 26-phase VRM powers the CPU. The board appears to have its power connectors and onboard buttons angled sideways, making it most suitable for bench rigs.

The AMD Socket AM5 is wired to two DDR5 DIMM slots (one DIMM per channel, with two sub-channels, each); and a PCI-Express 5.0 x16 slot. This splits to a second slot in x8 mode. The third slot is electrical x8, and wired to the X670E chipset. While there are three M.2 slots onboard, this is likely Gen 4 x4. The board's main Gen 5 M.2 slots are located on an included DIMM.2 daughterboard that inserts into a proprietary slot next to the DIMM slots. It's likely that the board offers USB4 connectivity, besides SupremeFX HD audio, Wi-Fi 6E, 2.5 GbE, and an abundance of USB 3.x connectivity in various forms.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Yes, this will be the board setting the records, looking forward for reading more about this :)

edit. the Crosshair E apparently has a "oscilloscope" daughter card in the box called "The Voltician" or "ASUS ROG Voltician" for better measurement of voltages, I suppose Apex will have it as well

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wish it had 10 GbE LAN though. 3 Gb/sec up and down is going to be available in my area soon, but it'll be pretty easy to drop in a 10 Gb/sec card though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Did they fix the memory trace issue. My 2021 Apex is complete garbage but have to live with it till next replacement in 2-3 years

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Did they fix the memory trace issue. My 2021 Apex is complete garbage but have to live with it till next replacement in 2-3 years
Remains to be seen. I think you can RMA your 2021 Apex for a fixed newer revision though.

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
Remains to be seen. I think you can RMA your 2021 Apex for a fixed newer revision though.
My understanding is they won’t service it. Thats what i hear from my friend who tried.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My understanding is they won’t service it. Thats what i hear from my friend who tried.
I think on the DDR5 thread someone RMA'd theirs.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
May try in future. Thanks

·
Newb to Overclock.net
5,152 Posts
It's not over 9000 yet.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
just give me a stable agesa, no usb issues, no performance degradation

·
Registered
8 Posts
the apex is cool looking loved it since z170

• Rep+
Reactions: Nizzen

·
Registered
5,224 Posts
the apex is cool looking loved it since z170
Always loved the apex models - top model without the bloody gimmicks of the extreme. Glad AMD got it though i will wait out for Meteorlake or Lunarlake before i consider rebuying.

·
Registered
830 Posts
DDR5-6000 Memory To Be The Sweet Spot For AMD Ryzen 7000 “Zen 4” CPUs, Will Offer 1:1 Infinity Fabric Ratio With EXPO

If i were to guess, it sound like the Asus APEX will be on the B650E chipset instead of X670E..

But what point there is to buy a memory overclocking motherboard if we are limited to 6000MT/s is a other story :unsure:

Furthermore, it also looks like X670E/X670, while designed for overclocking, won't actually get the best memory overclocking motherboards as those are reserved for the B650E chipsets. Gigabyte confirmed that they will be offering the Tachyon with two DDR5 DIMM slots on a B650(E) chipset but we will have to wait sometime to see that motherboard in action. The X670E and X670 boards will support both overclocking and undervolting for Ryzen 7000 "Zen 4" CPUs but to what extent that is allowed purely depends on AMD.

·
Registered
19 Posts
It sounds interesting that 6000(3000) will run at 1:1.

But I also remember AMD marketing Zen3 launch with 4000MT/s as the new sweet spot (as opposed to 3800 on Zen2).
Turned out that rarely any CPU besides 5600X could run at those speeds reliably. Which makes me wonder if 6000 is the new 4000 or the more common 3800.

I guess we're back in the same situation where the advancement in DDR5 speeds will be much faster than what the Ryzen CPUs will be able to handle.
Like later on we see 8000+ kits and Zen5 still stuck in the 6000 range, just like what happened with DDR4 and Zen2/3.

·
Premium Member
435 Posts
I guess we're back in the same situation where the advancement in DDR5 speeds will be much faster than what the Ryzen CPUs will be able to handle.
This is true for Intel's Alder Lake CPUs today as well. The boards and the CPU IMCs are limiting factors.

It sounds interesting that 6000(3000) will run at 1:1.
If that's the case, there may be a latency advantage - but there may not necessarily be a performance advantage. It'll likely come down to what 'tunes' better.

·
Premium Member
7,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 26 Posts