Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I have a Radeon X850 Pro AGP card. I can overclock it safely to 530MHz core and 573MHz memory with no artifacts. I would like to be able to unlock my 4 extra pixel pipelines so that I have 16. However, I am completely inexperienced with this so I have a few questions:

- Will unlocking the 4 pixel pipelines increase my card performance?
- Should I flash my BIOS to the XT or XT PE?
- Most importantly, how the heck do I flash my BIOS?

I am hoping someone has a simple .exe file that will do it all for me, but either way I would like to know how to back the BIOS up, etc. I have read the other threads about this but I'm confused as to the process, so I am hoping someone can give me an exact answer for my specific overclocking capabilities. Consider me incredibly stupid in this matter, and give me directions accordingly.

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Is your x850 Pro a VIVO card? (If you don't know just look for the yellow CD-Audio plug on it, if it has it, it's a VIVO card).

If you have a VIVO you can unlock the 4 pixel piples, if not, your card is laser cut and you can't unlock those pipes.

If you have the VIVO, I can help you further.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is this viewable without opening up my case? On the exterior, there are 3 ports, 1 for a monitor, 1 for s-video (I think), and another I'm not sure about (it's white and looks similar to the monitor port but is a bit bigger).

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next to the power supply plug there is an unused yellow plug. Is this what you are talking about?

The box has specifications listed, and under "Display Support" it lists the following:
- DVI-I connector for digital CRTs or flat panels
- VGA connector for analog displays
- S-Video/Composite Video In/Video Out (=VIVO?) adapter cable
- Drive two displays simultaneously with independent resolutions and refresh rates

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
It depends though...
ATI stopped making unlockable x850 Pro VIVO cards a while back, so there is just a small chance that the card will unlock if it is less than 6-7 months old.
Oh, and you are going to need an aftermarket heatsink and RAMsinks to get it to run at XTPE speeds without artifacts.

·
Banned
3,515 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645

I won't worry about XTPE speeds then for now. Can I use an XT BIOS still, though?

You may be able too... I'm not really sure though...
You can always underclock it if it starts to artifact though.

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ugh, this is so confusing for me! I wish there was a simple .exe file that will flash my current BIOS to that of an X850XT, and unlock my 4 extra pixel pipelines. If there is such a thing, I beg of you to give me a link. If you know how to make it, I beg of you do bless me with your technical prowess and create such an executable.

P.S. I tried to increase your reputation again, but it said "You must spread reputation before you can give reputation points to Some_Idiot2", lol!

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have the proper 850XT Bios that I want to flash to, and an 850Pro BIOS as a backup (though I would like to know how to backup my original). I just am not sure where to begin in the process and I don't want to screw it up... Is it even worth it to unlock the 4 pixel pipelines?

·
Excel Guru
12,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
mrblink, I take it your method simply unlocks the 4 extra pipes, leaving the 500/500 settings intact? If so, I think I understand the procedure! Also, if I don't actually run any games at 540/590, will the card show artifacts and/or go insane on me in the short period of time that it is set to that before I set the BIOS back to 500/500 (I can only overclock up to 530/573)?

·
Registered
389 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stargate125645

mrblink, I take it your method simply unlocks the 4 extra pipes, leaving the 500/500 settings intact? If so, I think I understand the procedure! Also, if I don't actually run any games at 540/590, will the card show artifacts and/or go insane on me in the short period of time that it is set to that before I set the BIOS back to 500/500 (I can only overclock up to 530/573)?

It's possible that it could go crazy, but I doubt it. You are only hitting 530/573 under load, which will not be the case here.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts