Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at some gfx cards in the 150-ish range. I plan on buying a 850xt or a 7600GT while waiting for the DX10 cards to come out. Which should I choose? Does SM3 offer a substantial difference? I'd like to know! Thanks

EDIT:: Please also consider the fact I will be playing BF2142 and Unreal Tournament 2007 in the near time future with high settings
::

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
well I'm quite happy with my 7600gt and I'm sure that x850 owners will say that theres is great to and the going argument that the x850 has more raw power but lacks in newer games *because of the sm2 thing) but I find that somewhat debunked, my gfx card and opteron beat and overclocked x850 and pentium d at 4ghz....

·
Premium Member
8,427 Posts
X850XT = faster, more heat, SM2.0
7600GT = Slower, less heat, SM3.0 (which you can't really use with playable FPS anyway)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so... say i was to play Battlefield 2 or Unreal Tourny 2007...would a 850XT or 7600GT be better for it at highest possible settings for these gfx cards?

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
heres a bench I'll get a more updated one in a bit, I'm pretty sure I can get about 7500 with this card which is pretty damn good for a budget card (the XfX XXX was the cheapest card for me to buy being only 189$Cad without a rebate and stock clocks of 590mhz/1.6ghz)

·
Premium Member
7,862 Posts
I've only heard good from the owners of the x850xt. I'd probably take the 7600gt though...I'm...I'm a bit of a fanboy to Nvidia. Just make sure that you get the 256mb/256mb version of the 7600 if you want the best performance. I dont know if they have one, but I think they do

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex100

heres a bench I'll get a more updated one in a bit, I'm pretty sure I can get about 7500 with this card which is pretty damn good for a budget card (the XfX XXX was the cheapest card for me to buy being only 189$Cad without a rebate and stock clocks of 590mhz/1.6ghz)

Did you volt mod it?

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Quote:

well I'm quite happy with my 7600gt and I'm sure that x850 owners will say that theres is great to and the going argument that the x850 has more raw power but lacks in newer games *because of the sm2 thing) but I find that somewhat debunked, my gfx card and opteron beat and overclocked x850 and pentium d at 4ghz....

lol, could you post your mark05 score?
and my 805 wasn't at 4ghz
and you should stop bashing my rig

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by sandiegoskyline

lol, could you post your mark05 score?
and my 805 wasn't at 4ghz
and you should stop bashing my rig

haha that's what I was thinking

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
sorry i only just remembered that you'd posted that score at 3.78ghz no offense meant and if you'd read my posts you'd realize that i was giving your system praize I said "and the only part of my system is nicer is hard drive" so if you get what I'm saying its that your system is better which is why I don't get your statement that x850 is faster because everything in your computer is better than mine. And no in reply to the volt mod this card overclocks like mad, stock clocks of 590/1.6 and its easily oc'ed to 690/1.84ghz
and i posted a pic back on the first page my score was 7120

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:

sorry i only just remembered that you'd posted that score at 3.78ghz no offense meant and if you'd read my posts you'd realize that i was giving your system praize I said "and the only part of my system is nicer is hard drive" so if you get what I'm saying its that your system is better which is why I don't get your statement that x850 is faster because everything in your computer is better than mine. And no in reply to the volt mod this card overclocks like mad, stock clocks of 590/1.6 and its easily oc'ed to 690/1.84ghz
and i posted a pic back on the first page my score was 7120

Is that the max?

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
My computer runs pi and prime at up to 2.8ghz stable but heat with a stock cooler is just too high. I can likely push to around 7500 points with a little more tweaking and when I upgraded my drivers the score dropped alittle so now back with the originals I might get even higher than that

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
Quote:

My computer runs pi and prime at up to 2.8ghz stable but heat with a stock cooler is just too high. I can likely push to around 7500 points with a little more tweaking and when I upgraded my drivers the score dropped alittle so now back with the originals I might get even higher than that

So this is ur current max... 7120?

1 - 20 of 38 Posts