Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 145 Posts

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ziggystardust View Post

How you know that MSI's SFCs are 45A rated? As far as I know they are 60A according to previous MSI datasheets.

Even z87 series msi boards seem to have 60 amp chokes. http://media.msi.com/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=105157
MSI has 2 types of "Super Ferrite Chokes".

A square type that seems to be rated for more and a smaller, rectangle type rated for 45A.

Quote:
Originally Posted by savumi View Post

i see more mofet on backside. X99S SLI PLus have 16x OnSemi 4C08N and 16x OnSemi 4C05N

Not sure if its 8 or 16x.

Personally I'm not a big fan of having Mosfets on the backside though. No easy way to cool them. The only time I find it ok is for overkill boards (Gigabyte Z77X-UP7 and MSI Z87 XPower are examples) where well, the Mosfets are so overkill that you could run them without heatsinks.

@Ziggy, the above image would be the smaller rectangular chokes. I think those are 45A. You might want to PM MSI Geno here on the OCN forums if you are unsure.

Below is a GPU with two of the larger square chokes. I think these are at least 60A, possibly higher. Note the VRAM nearby for a size comparison:

Does that answer your question?

Edit 2:
This is a picture from Anandtech of the motherboard model that I am using right now, the Z87 XPower. Look right below the RAM DIMM, between the DIMM and the northbridge heatsink:

You can see the two chokes right beside each other.

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
can someone tell me here whats the best mobo for benching ( pushing high/mild clocks for physics score in 3d benches) from the following -

MSI X99 SLI
Asrock Extreme 4/6
MSI X99S Gaming 7
Asrock X99- WS
Asus X99A
GB X99 Ud3/UD4
GB X99 Gaming 5

reasons i have listed these mobos is because these are between $300-$400 in Australia

·
Meeeeeeeow!
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectre- View Post

can someone tell me here whats the best mobo for benching ( pushing high/mild clocks for physics score in 3d benches) from the following -

MSI X99 SLI
Asrock Extreme 4/6
MSI X99S Gaming 7
Asrock X99- WS
Asus X99A
GB X99 Ud3/UD4
GB X99 Gaming 5

reasons i have listed these mobos is because these are between $300-$400 in Australia
To be honest, choice of motherboard is not likely to make a big difference in overclocking and benching, although I would recommend the one with the best VRM and the most stable BIOS.

Another consideration might be motherboard layout. You want a motherboard that can support at least 2 GPUs, ideally with 4 slot spacing between them (allowing the cards to breathe).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astr627 View Post

I thought the MSI boards are full digital.... What about the long term reliability of those OnSemi 4C08N , 4c05N MOFSETs?
They are hybrid analog:digital this generation. In practice though, it will probably not make a huge difference.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of the midrange Mosfets; I would expect though that when it comes to reliability that the higher end boards will in general be more reliable in this regard though.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyElf View Post

To be honest, choice of motherboard is not likely to make a big difference in overclocking and benching, although I would recommend the one with the best VRM and the most stable BIOS.

Another consideration might be motherboard layout. You want a motherboard that can support at least 2 GPUs, ideally with 4 slot spacing between them (allowing the cards to breathe).
They are hybrid analog:digital this generation. In practice though, it will probably not make a huge difference.

I cannot vouch for the reliability of the midrange Mosfets; I would expect though that when it comes to reliability that the higher end boards will in general be more reliable in this regard though.
Who wants to see these different VRMs under a thermal camera? ;D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

Who wants to see these different VRMs under a thermal camera? ;D
What a question
wink.gif
We all wanna do so.

And btw. Sin do you plan to make a VRM List for 2011-3 Boards?

·
Owner of 20 SSDs
4,716 Posts
so, is there something about the 8 phase setup in the Asus RVE that makes it better than the 12 phases of Asrock?

sorry, total noob on VRM, enlighten me.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluBabe View Post

What a question
wink.gif
We all wanna do so.

And btw. Sin do you plan to make a VRM List for 2011-3 Boards?
you know what, if I have time this weekend ill do it. I was waiting for a package to come today, but UPS truck showed up 3 hours late to the facility over 12 hours ago, and so its delayed 4 days, oh and because of bad weather that doesn't exist.

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChronoBodi View Post

so, is there something about the 8 phase setup in the Asus RVE that makes it better than the 12 phases of Asrock?

sorry, total noob on VRM, enlighten me.
+1 to this

i am gonna upgrade soon and had my mind set on getting the Astock X99 WS since in aus the only thing thats at the same price is the X99-A

·
Registered
39 Posts
As the name tells the Asrock X99 WS is a Workstation Board like the ASUS X99-E WS. They are meant for stable 24/7 usage without care for oc much. In the end when you chase for high clocks get a oc Board. Potentialy you can get more wattage through the 12 phases but you don't have all the little setttings you have on a oc board to squeez the cpu out.

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IluBabe View Post

As the name tells the Asrock X99 WS is a Workstation Board like the ASUS X99-E WS. They are meant for stable 24/7 usage without care for oc much. In the end when you chase for high clocks get a oc Board. Potentialy you can get more wattage through the 12 phases but you don't have all the little setttings you have on a oc board to squeez the cpu out.
no i want to know what makes the asus 8 phases better/ equal to the asrock 12 phases

·
Iconoclast
30,666 Posts
Quote:

no i want to know what makes the asus 8 phases better/ equal to the asrock 12 phases
Eight true phases (vs. six with doublers on the ASRock) and potentially a controller with less overshoot/less need for vdroop. However, the ASRock setup does look like it should be able to handle more current.

I would be pretty surprised if the VRM was anywhere near the limiting factor for on either the ASUS or ASRock (or most other X99 boards) unless you shooting for some pretty insane clocks with exotic cooling.

• Rep+
Reactions: Spectre-

·
Retired?
2,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

Eight true phases (vs. six with doublers on the ASRock) and potentially a controller with less overshoot/less need for vdroop. However, the ASRock setup does look like it should be able to handle more current.

I would be pretty surprised if the VRM was anywhere near the limiting factor for on either the ASUS or ASRock (or most other X99 boards) unless you shooting for some pretty insane clocks with exotic cooling.
oh ok cool

thanks for that

is there anything different between X99-A and pro mobo in terms of power phases

cuz it seems like the pro just gives me bluetoothh and wifi ( things i dont need)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

oh ok cool

thanks for that

is there anything different between X99-A and pro mobo in terms of power phases

cuz it seems like the pro just gives me bluetoothh and wifi ( things i dont need)
by given information in this therad the "A" ("S" since it is between) and "PRO" use 8x ON Semiconductor NTMFD4C85N - and when the pwm is the same they should behave the same. You only get for your > $50 bucks the white color frame, and WLAN 802.11a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth 4.0, inkl. M.2-PCIe-Adapter (ASUS Hyper M.2 X4). So in the end nothing to be excited about.

·
Premium Member
13,266 Posts
and BIOS settings, so if you aren't setting the LLC or VIN the boar dis probably auto regulating them with their own auto rules, which differ for each brand.

21 - 40 of 145 Posts