Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quote:
Advanced Micro Devices on Thursday said that the company had reset plans for the launch if its new micro-architecture code-named Bulldozer and the first truly next-generation processors will only emerge in 2011. This slightly contradicts the optimism caused by comments of the company's chief executive officer, who promised to "ramp up" the first chips produced at 32nm node in mid-2010.
"Our guidance for the Bulldozer CPU core was reset to expect test silicon in late 2010 and product in 2011," said Damon Muzny, a spokesperson for AMD, in a brief conversation with X-bit labs.
Dirk Meyer, chief executive officer and president of AMD, said in a recent interview that the company expected to ramp up the manufacturing of central processing units (CPUs) using 32nm process technology sometime in mid-2010. Since Mr. Meyer said back in early 2008 that the first samples of processors featuring code-named Bulldozer micro-architecture will be made using 45nm fabrication process would be out in 2009, the claim regarding the ramp up of chips at 32nm node caused expectations that Bulldozer processors will be out earlier than expected. However, this is not correct.

The first processor in the Bulldozer family is code-named Orochi and it has more than four cores, more than 8MB of cache and supports DDR3 memory. The Orochi chip will be made using 32nm process technology and is currently due in 2011. Another interesting chip due in 2011 is code-named Ontario, which has two general-purpose x86 cores, built-in graphics processing engine, 1MB of cache and DDR3 memory support. The chip will be based on the code-named Bobcat micro-architecture, which is projected to be very power efficient, and will also be among the first "Fusion" processors that combine x86 and graphics processing on the same chip.
Bulldozer is the next-generation micro-architecture and processor design developed from the ground up by AMD. It is expected that the next-generation micro-processors will offer considerably higher performance than current-generation chips. AMD Bulldozer CPUs will also feature SSE5 instruction set.
The Sunnyvale, California-based microprocessor developer badly needs principally new CPU micro-architecture to recapture performance crown from Intel Corp. and win back market share. It remains to be seen whether AMD manages to be competitive on the market with existing Phenom II/Deneb microprocessors for nearly two years from now. Considering that the end-user demands are rising rapidly, it may be logical for AMD to refresh existing offerings with faster chips sometimes in 2010. However, the company naturally remains tight-lipped regarding such granularity of its plans.
http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/dis...s_to_2011.html

Oh Noes
not what AMD needs

·
Premium Member
5,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
I'm not liking how long they want to use Deneb. A great core yes, a two year straight competitor? No.
I agree, I mean, I'm an AMD supporter and all but they are absolutely bonkers if they expect Deneb to sail them all the way through to the end of this year and another year after that.

·
Registered
2,530 Posts
This is just what AMD does not need.

At this point, i7 is going to be my next upgrade.

Sorry AMD, but I just can't keep on waiting and waiting.

·
Premium Member
15,202 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh View Post
I agree, I mean, I'm an AMD supporter and all but they are absolutely bonkers if they expect Deneb to sail them all the way through to the end of this year and another year after that.

I think the only workable plan is simple. They are releasing 3.5GHZ Denebs with the same TDP (refined 45nm process.) At this, if, they included a man's heatsink (joke intended) they could get a 4GHZ Phenom FX out with ease. That on the AM3 socket could definitely do some damage.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
that's too bad, was really pulling for amd to get out of this slump.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
they can't release a 4.0ghz deneb, even with improved manufacturing. I think they can go 3.3 tops, seriously the so called easy 4.0 oc never held true so how are they going release that stock.

maybe 3.4 idk

·
Premium Member
5,227 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iandh View Post

Sail? More like dog paddle

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Licht View Post
I'm not liking how long they want to use Deneb. A great core yes, a two year straight competitor? No.
Economy really slowed down everywhere, I guess Amd could if they wanted to but the current and future economic situation does not justify it.

·
4GHz
1,767 Posts
When was Intel planning on going 32nm, again?

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.derp
View Post

they can't release a 4.0ghz deneb, even with improved manufacturing. I think they can go 3.3 tops, seriously the so called easy 4.0 oc never held true so how are they going release that stock.

maybe 3.4 idk

at 3.4 on stock volts, and after a single failed attempt at 3.6, I just put it back to 3.4, and this is on the stick cooler.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by DEC_42
View Post

When was Intel planning on going 32nm, again?

I think late this year, early next.
Once that P6T (non deluxe) drops below $200 I think I'll grab a i920 for my backup system just to play around with.
I guess that chart I saw of AMD only releasing higher clocked Denebs for the rest of this year and next isn't too far off. Though I wouldn't doubt that AMD might shrink Deneb down to 32nm just to try and stay current and squeeze a little more out of this core until Bulldozer is ready. A 32nm Deneb could definitely keep AMD in the game for a while. It will really depend on how software developers take advantage of these new Intel and AMD architectures.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
A 32nm Deneb will likely not be released, because simply shrinking down to a 32nm process will require architectural changes similar to what they plan to implement in Bull Dozer. As of right now, with intel moving as fast as it is, it won't be long until AMD cannot compete at the high end at all. Unless AMD does something like release a stock 4.0ghz quad to gain some cash revenues for future R&D, it could be possible that in the future AMD won't be able to compete at all. Intel is already a great deal ahead of AMD, and at this rate they are only picking up speed. Bull Dozer is going to need to own the market like the athlon if AMD ever wants to be competitive again.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
2011? Yea... I agree that 45nm K10.5 is a great improvement over K10, but really, nothing new for two whole years? Intel is going to release 32nm i7 late this year, then Sandy Bridge in 2010 and then 22nm in 2011. How is Deneb going to be competitive to Sandy Bridge when it is barely competitive with i7? The only thing AMD can do would be to market them cheap, but their margins are already low enough. This can't be a winning strategy. Plus, since they no longer own their fabs, as Paul Otellini said, they will be operating on cost plus contract to fab the chips, eating further into their margins.

Of course it's easy for us to sit back and criticize as I'm sure it took a lot of hard decision making to come to this conclusion for AMD, but it is disheartening to find out that the performance competition won't be exciting for at least another two years...

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Well I would think the roadmap is more than likely to be changed, especially considering AMD can now focus solely on CPU's in the same manner that intel can.

·
Premium Member
6,045 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by joemaniaci
View Post

Well I would think the roadmap is more than likely to be changed, especially considering AMD can now focus solely on CPU's in the same manner that intel can.

What has changed to allow AMD to focus more on CPU production and R&D? Other then a less in negative assets.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mr.derp
View Post

maybe 3.4 idk

They've already slated a 3.5GHz "995" by the end of this year which should be easy to do. Basically everyone on here with a 940 can do 3.4-3.5 on stock voltages and this is all with the first revision.

Also AMD said over 4 on water which a few are doing, most are around 3.8 on air which is close enough to what AMD hinted at. They didn't guarantee 4GHz on air.

Another note, we are only seeing SB750 and below overclocks. SB800 is coming out later this year also which COULD clock better.

Either way I think AMD is winning with the the mainstream Quads. Unlocked 3GHz stock clocked Quad for $220(or less with combos) That's a steal IMO.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
Yes, but also keep in mind that a lot of the revenue AMD has from CPUs come from the server market where they enjoy higher margins. However, if they are basically keeping the same architecture for the next two years while the server version of Nehalem is already going to make Intel very competitive with AMD's current offerings, Intel's Sandy Bridge will probably take over a huge portion of the server market too.

·
Banned
8,805 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mothergoose729
View Post

What has changed to allow AMD to focus more on CPU production and R&D? Other then a less in negative assets.

Separating from all of their factories, so they can just design CPU's and have someone else make them, just like intel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cheetos316
View Post

Yes, but also keep in mind that a lot of the revenue AMD has from CPUs come from the server market where they enjoy higher margins. However, if they are basically keeping the same architecture for the next two years while the server version of Nehalem is already going to make Intel very competitive with AMD's current offerings, Intel's Sandy Bridge will probably take over a huge portion of the server market too.

I cant remember where I read it, but I think when it comes to the server market, deneb can just be dropped in, if you want to use the nehalem server parts, you have to upgrade everything. So that will help AMD out at least for a little bit.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts