Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
Paul Otellini, chief executive of Intel Corp. said that the company had begun to work on 7nm a 5am process technologies. The company's plans now are to equip its Oregon, Arizona and Irelands fabs to make chips using 14nm fabrication processes.

"Our research and development is quite deep, I talk about ten years," said Paul Otellini, chief executive of Intel.
Source

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
They're going to find the end of the road pretty soon at this rate! Those aren't much bigger than the atoms they're made of!

·
Registered
213 Posts
Yay i think hope they fix thermal issues with haswell other wise dam 7 ad 5nm will be hot

·
Registered
914 Posts
Intel is either holding information or being stupid, I'm betting on holding information, they know quite well they are at the end of the road, they know they need to find a suitable replacement for silicon, theres already a couple of promising materials that can do well at those sizes, so I'm curious to see until when is Intel gonna keep using silicone.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon View Post

Intel is either holding information or being stupid, I'm betting on holding information, they know quite well they are at the end of the road, they know they need to find a suitable replacement for silicon, theres already a couple of promising materials that can do well at those sizes, so I'm curious to see until when is Intel gonna keep using silicone.
Woah, now I'm all hot and bothered.

I'm not really worried about them being able to come out with new processes... worst case they'll start taking 3 years per instead of 2... but they'd better find a way to stomp leakage. HKMG was great while it lasted. Now we need something else... 3D transistors don't seem to have been enough to last for long.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homeles View Post

Woah, now I'm all hot and bothered.
I'm not really worried about them being able to come out with new processes... worst case they'll start taking 3 years per instead of 2... but they'd better find a way to stomp leakage. HKMG was great while it lasted. Now we need something else... 3D transistors don't seem to have been enough to last for long.
It's barely been wekks since Ivy launched, apparently no reputable source properly tested direct die cooling and mentionned compensating lost mounting pressure due to the removal of the IHS. I'll wait and see how Ivy Bridge settles into the market before criticizing FinFets.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinny1 View Post

OMG just switch to graphene already
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by linkdiablo View Post

It's barely been wekks since Ivy launched, apparently no reputable source properly tested direct die cooling and mentionned compensating lost mounting pressure due to the removal of the IHS. I'll wait and see how Ivy Bridge settles into the market before criticizing FinFets.
I'm mostly talking about the desktop sector. FinFETs will be great for lower power devices (it's nearly double the effectiveness at .7 V than at 1.0 V), but leakage is monster of exponents. I'm sure Intel currently is simply having issues with the 22nm process and the new transistors, but even if those issues are fixed, it doesn't seem like it'll have a long run.

·
Banned
4,313 Posts
Quote:

According to IBM, graphene won't be available for production even by 2017. Graphene cannot be completely shut off and on like traditional logic transistors.

Stacking(3D) and optical interconnects are the likely candidates.
ibm-holey-optochip-600-275x171.jpg

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
They'll need a different material than silicon, I'm sure. Silicon is reaching its limits at current rates. I would not be suprised if these are going to be graphene.

·
Banned
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post

They'll need a different material than silicon, I'm sure. Silicon is reaching its limits at current rates. I would not be suprised if these are going to be graphene.
I don't think it's remotely possible.

·
Premium Member
16,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We should still be able to push silicon for a while. A complete guess, but I'm going to give it at least a decade before we see alternatives come to the market as actual products.

·
Premium Member
65,162 Posts
Quote:

Graphene would cost a few magnitudes more than silicon..... Want the next top-end Intel CPU? It's only $300K each.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CULLEN View Post

Quantum computing the next step?
That is a different type of computing..... this has to do with limitations of manufacturing.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts