Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
source

Quote:
Nvidia Drops GeForce GTX 260 Pricing. Nvidia’s GeForce GTX 260 Drops to Below $200
[03/09/2009 09:08 PM]
by Anton Shilov
In a bid to not let ATI, graphics products group of Advanced Micro Devices, to gain market share in performance-mainstream market segment, Nvidia Corp. has reduced the recommended pricing of its GeForce GTX 260 core 216 to $199 in order to compete against ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB at the same price-point.
Last week ATI reduced the recommended price of its Radeon HD 4870 512MB and 4870 1GB graphics cards to $149 and $199, respectively, in order to respond to the formal launch of Nvidia GeForce GTS 250, which is a re-branded GeForce 9800 GTX+. Nvidia is not standing still and lowers the price-tag of its GeForce GTX 260 core 216 to $199 level.
At press time several online stores in the U.S., including Newegg.com, offered a number of GeForce GTX 260-branded graphics cards for about $200. Some graphics cards came with 192 activated stream processors and the more expensive models sported 216 functional stream processors.
It is hardly easy for Nvidia to sell the GeForce GTX 260 core 216 at $199 price-point since ATI’s Radeon HD 4870 features smaller graphics core, which means it should be cheaper to make, and utilizes less complex print circuit board, which should also be more affordable. Therefore, Nvidia must ensure that it still makes money on its product at relatively low price-point.
Nvidia did not comment on the news-story.

·
Premium Member
8,388 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartmasta
View Post

Is 4870 > 260 GTX?

Nice prices though... I wish they are like this when I'm upgrading

In some cases, yes. They're very close. If I was rebuying my video cards for simply gaming I'd go with the 4870. But as it stands I like to fold, so nVidia it is.

·
Premium Member
7,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Still, the 4870 with 512MB is good enough up to 1920*1200... and it's (in Europe) 150€ vs the 200€ of the GTX260. I have no idea how nvidia will keep selling these cards with AMD's price cuts.

·
Old Fartero
777 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bartmasta
View Post

Is 4870 > 260 GTX?

Nice prices though... I wish they are like this when I'm upgrading

Most cases yes, although the Core 216 is at roughly at parity, they trade some blows.

·
Premium Member
7,017 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dragosmp
View Post

I have no idea how nvidia will keep selling these cards with AMD's price cuts.

Fanboys and uninformed consumers. There are plenty of people that will see the higher price tag and instantly think it must be better.

·
Registered
4,497 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by grunion
View Post

Too bad they don't drop the 295 price.

I'll tell you right now, the 50-$170 difference over the 4870X2 is not worth it.
Of course with the limited availability, NV could set any price they wanted.

I remember the days when the 8800 Ultra cost $ 800+.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 45nm
View Post

I remember the days when the 8800 Ultra cost $ 800+.

Yea...ouch!
I'm glad those days are gone. ATI and NV are making these cards that perform so well at 1920 for so cheap, I hope we never see those days again.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.