Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:

Standalone Graphics Cards Set to Become Cheaper

ATI, graphics product group of Advanced Micro Devices, and Nvidia Corp., the world’s largest supplier of discrete graphics processing units (GPUs), reportedly plan to cut prices on discrete graphics cards for desktop personal computers in attempt to either boost or stabilize market shares.

A news-story from DigiTimes web-site claims that not only ATI plans to drop prices on its discrete desktop GPUs in a bid to boost its appropriate market share to 50%, but also Nvidia plans to decrease pricing of its graphics chips in order not to allow AMD/ATI to take away market share.

According to the web-site, Nvidia plans to reduce prices on its GeForce GTX 200-series graphics cards as well as on 9800 and 9600 families. It is unclear on which graphics cards ATI plans to drop the pricing.

The decrease of graphics boards pricing may negatively affect profit margins of GPU developers, however it will be positive for consumers. Increasing popularity of high-performance standalone graphics cards will also positive affect sales of video games developed for PCs.

ATI and Nvidia did not comment on the news-story.

Source

·
Registered
4,552 Posts
AMD/ATI wouldnt have cut their prices unless they had to, now they have a reason.

$119.99 4850's???
$449.99 4870x2's???

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Wow, and I just bought a 9800GT.
Fudgenuts.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Horray!

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Maybe a 4870 is coming my way sooner then I thought, though I'm probably still just gonna wait for the 5870.

·
Registered
227 Posts
sweet, its hard to believe the 4850 will get any cheaper

·
HEC Club
13,593 Posts
I love it when the consumers win!

·
QA Engineer
3,016 Posts
This means that 9800GT I'm looking that is gonna drop.

Epic winz!

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by loop0001
View Post

oh it would be so awesome to get a crossfire board and then a second 4850...sooo much cheaper now its beautiful

it is indeed beautiful... i am going to get a crossfire board and another 4850 when it drops

·
Registered
3,055 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SyncMaster753
View Post

AMD/ATI wouldnt have cut their prices unless they had to, now they have a reason.

$119.99 4850's???
$449.99 4870x2's???

that... would be so awesome

·
Banned
3,579 Posts
*contemplates another 4850*

you can bet that the u.s dollar will surge as soon as they happen though, making them totally pointless for us poor aussies

·
PC Evangelist
47,377 Posts
I dont really need more then one 4850 unless i want to keep it for 2 years but since i am going to get a 5870 i may just wait but time will tell. If it 100$ they i will get one.

·
Registered
499 Posts
this is gonna make waiting for the 5k's alot tougher. Ive been riding this x1800 for a loooong time now and i keep telling myself, ill just wait for the next line to drop so i can save money. I bought this card right after it came out so thats along time holding out. I just need to dive in and experiance what decent lighting and texture looks like....

·
Registered
284 Posts
Ugh when are they exactly cutting prices???

I hope they do it before Christmas, cuz I need to buy a new GPU (4870 1GB anyone?) and I want it early so I can waste my Christmas with Far Cry 2, Warhead, L4D, etc...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Wow, imagine the prices on 9600 GSO's, holy hell.

·
!
17,294 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Comp112
View Post

Wow, imagine the prices on 9600 GSO's, holy hell.

Speaking of which, I've been having trouble finding decently priced GSO's here in Canada

Newegg only has 3 kinds for sale (2 are out of stock) and most of the canadian stores are selling them around 9800GT prices, except for the Asus 8800GS which is unusually cheap (Like $50 CAD cheap) but I didn't get it since it's loud

1 - 20 of 35 Posts