Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got the RRoD on my xbox, and now I am in the process of learning how to fix it, been watching some videos, got an idea what to do.

But my question is can I have my xbox naked, case off dvd drive off to the side, I play live so I don't want to get flagged for xbox modding or something stupid like that.

·
Registered
3,594 Posts
Yh, when testing you run it like this anyway

Also, you will not get banned, only your warranty is void...

·
Registered
2,626 Posts
make sure you keep one of the sides on to act as a heatsink for the backside of the mem... or put some other metal thing on the thermal pads

·
Music Producer
4,860 Posts
option 1: leave it on overnight with the rrod then turn it off and turn it back on.
option 2: try unplugging the power supply and plugging it back into the xbox.
option 3: take a canister of compressed air and spray out all the dust from the xbox while it's off, after you finish turn it on and see if the rrod is gone.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am already in the process of opening it, but I don't have the tools to unscrew it, going to wait for morning so places who sell them will open.

But I have in mind, re thermal pasting the heatsinks and leaving it open and maybe add some fans to it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
1: Make sure to keep the DVD drive flat, it will scratch your discs if it is at an angle
2: You will need a T8 and a T6 screw driver
3: Use Arctic Clean or Acetone, because the thermal compound MS uses is better off called THERMAL CONCRETE (with the caps)
4: Make sure to only keep the CPU cool and let the GPU overheat because it most likely the solider in the GPU
5: Cut out the metal vents and plastic bents in the back of the Xbox 360, keeps it WAY COOLER!!!
6: There is an unused area on the motherboard where you can solider a 3 pin fan conector, Link to Tutorial

·
Registered
443 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by twich12 View Post
make sure you keep one of the sides on to act as a heatsink for the backside of the mem... or put some other metal thing on the thermal pads

Can anyone share more insight about this? I am building a case for my xbox and used a wood motherboard tray with standard 1/4" PC mobo standoffs. Is heatsinking the memory that critical? Dumb question but exaclty what is the memory on this thing and are these chips the only ones that need extra heatsinks?? Its a little different than my PCs.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Just replace the X-Clamps with some MX-5 screws and with washers and nuts. Also don't take the DVD sata or power cable out and turn on the xbox cause they will ban you for doing that, and it can be detected.

·
Null
6,332 Posts
You can only get banned if you modify the motherboard of the 360 since IIRC, they check through a NAND flash chip on the mobo.

And if your 360 is stuck in RROD you might want to look up 360 motherboard baking and the RROD Towel trick/fix.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by geoxile
View Post

You can only get banned if you modify the motherboard of the 360 since IIRC, they check through a NAND flash chip on the mobo.

And if your 360 is stuck in RROD you might want to look up 360 motherboard baking and the RROD Towel trick/fix.

The towel trick sucks, it will only last about 2 weeks, and then it won't work anymore. As for the baking method I don't believe that would work out too well. First time I fixed my RROD I used the replacement X-clamp method and it worked first time.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
every xbox i have fixed i have ran it without the top for at least a hour and with the top for at least 2. none of them unless modified for yarrr by customer request have ever been banned from live. you will be fine

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Yes you can play it with the case off.

The problem with having the dvd drive at the side is it removes the air channel from above the GPU heatsink (which would pass on the underside of the drive). This could potentially overheat. The solution (if you wanted to have the dvd drive at the side) would be to add a shroud to the GPU heatsink >>>

·
Registered
299 Posts
Don't listen to anyone here about letting your GPU overheat to resolder it. The towel trick attempts to do this but all it really does is help relieve some of the board warping from it overheating during normal use.

The solder used on the chips requires 230 degrees Celsius or 447~ Fahrenheit to liquify. Overheating your GPU will -never- get it hot enough to fix a solder break, only potentially cause more damage.

I fixed my xbox the other day. It's the original Xenon motherboard from the xbox360 pro package. You can play on live without being banned as long as the DVD drive is -ALWAYS- connected when you turn on the system. Just make sure everything is plugged in and connected and you'll be ok leaving it open.

check out http://xbox-experts.com/tutorials.php or http://www.llamma.com/xbox360/index.html for forums and tutorials from people who have repaired tons of 360s and know what works and what doesn't. I personally did the following to fix my xbox360, with the tutorials from xbox-experts:

-removed Xclamps and re-mounted heatsinks with my own screws/washers. They aren't kidding when they say regular 90%+ proof alcohol won't remove the original thermal compound. I used it but it took me 30 minutes with over 20 q-tips, multiple paper towels and a hobby knife which I regret due to a few tiny, shallow scratches on my cpu heatsink

-When i fired it up after replacing the clamps, it'd work for 10-30 seconds then shut off. Secondary error code: 0002. Means cold solder break on one of the CPU pins.

-I did the re-flow process in the oven. yes, I baked my xbox motherboard, with proper insulation in the oven. 10 minutes total time, with a pre-heat to 180 Celsius before cranking it up to 230ish. (in the US this is like 300~350 preheat then crank up to 450)
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...00001406864165

In most cases replacing the x-clamps with the standard set of screws and washers will fix a RRoD problem. Take ur time on the two site links and make sure you're ready to do it right! ;D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts