Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
I897UCJI6 - FROYO - for real

Hey guys, Thanks to a wonderful source for hooking me up with this, they wanted to remain anonymous for obvious reasons, If you are reading...

THANK YOU FROM ALL OF US HERE AT XDA!! We have been waiting for this since the day we got our phones!
Not much too quote.

The leaked Froyo update is now available for the brave. Requires using odin and rooting requires temporally flashing kernels.

(Source)

(Root Instruction)

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Not sure if want ......... mines stock with the JH7 update. This is the third captivate i got from warranty and it has been perfect. Don't wanna mess it up

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ihatethedukes View Post
Ugh I wish I could figure this out and not be a total meathead.
Step by step.

I TAKE NO RESPONSIBLY FOR POSSIBLE DAMAGE CAUSED TO YOUR DEVICE.

1. Be sure you have the proper drivers installed and the phone is reconized by your computer. If you are running Windows 7 this means you need to have Kies installed (mini was the only one that worked for me).

(Drivers) after you go to the link click on "software" at the bottom of the page.

2. Download the exe from the source.

3. Turn off your phone.

4. Remove battery, SIM, and SD card.

5. Insert battery.

6. Run the exe from the source link.

7. Hold down both volume buttons and while holding them plug in the USB cable. (You should have a com port listed in yellow on odin now.)

8. Click on start in odin.

9. Wait for it to finish and enjoy.

Edit:

Step by step rooting.

AGAIN I TAKE NO RESPONSIBLY FOR ANY POSSIBLE DAMAGE.

1. Download Odin, JF6 kernel, JI6 kernel, and the update.zip from the provided link.

2. Copy update.zip to you phones internal SD card.

3. Turn off your phone.

4. Remove Battery, Sim, and SD card.

5. Replace battery.

6. Start odin.

7. Click on PDA and select the file "kernel-captivate-stock.tar.md5"

8. Uncheck the "Auto reboot" option.

9. While holding down both volume buttons plug in the USB cable. (Again it should register a com port in Odin)

10. Click Start in Odin.

11. When it is finished unplug the USB cable and remove the battery.

12. Hold down both volume buttons and the power button until the phone starts then release the power button while still holding the volume buttons down. (some instructions say to continue to hold the power button but this does not work for me.) It will enter stock recovery.

13. Scroll down using the volume buttons to "Reinstall Packages". Then press the power button to select.

14. After it's done it will try to reboot. Pull the battery.

15. Close and restart Odin. (sometimes it won't redetect until you do this).

16. Click on "PDA" and select "JI6kernel.tar"

17. While holding down both volume buttons plug in the USB cable. (Again it should register a com port in Odin)

18. Click on Start in Odin.

19. You phone will automatically reboot and you will be rooted.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Been running 2.2 rooted and delagged since last night. Cognition 2.2 finally came out

·
Banned
8,014 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by E_man View Post
Been running 2.2 rooted and delagged since last night. Cognition 2.2 finally came out

Anything significantly different from Eclair? I only use my phone to text and listen to music. Doubt I really MUST have this and I was just thinking of waiting for Att or Samsung to distribute it.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
There are a few things. Flash, an improved market app, apps auto update (FINALLY!!), samsung made a few cosmetic things, the swype keyboard now has a voice button, holding the power button has a new item, turn off data, but keep cell service. Then you get access to the 2.2 only apps. Nothing terribly ground breaking, but adds up to a very nice update. Very fast as well.

Haven't tested the gps much. Last night, it wasn't working, but this morning, it was. This is stock gps.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 88EVGAFTW View Post
Anything significantly different from Eclair? I only use my phone to text and listen to music. Doubt I really MUST have this and I was just thinking of waiting for Att or Samsung to distribute it.
My Hero has been running 2.2 for over a month now and I can say that yes, you want this. The battery life is significantly improved on all Android devices from 2.1 to 2.2.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by realcyberbob View Post
What differences does the Captivate have over the Vibrant that wouldn't make this work directly with the Vibrant?
There's not a huge difference. I think someone in the vibrant area of xda got it working, with a few quirks. Volume up/down was backwards and home/menu were backwards I think?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSubtleKnife View Post
wtb vibrant update.
What's funny, this is JI6, the last vibrant update was JI5, so missed it by one

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Quote:

There's not a huge difference. I think someone in the vibrant area of xda got it working, with a few quirks. Volume up/down was backwards and home/menu were backwards I think?

What's funny, this is JI6, the last vibrant update was JI5, so missed it by one

eugene373 of xda apparently flashed the captivate ji6 to the vibrant, and i think there were a few modem issues and the home.back buttons reversed and the volume up/down reversed. Also, apparently a few kernel related issues to (from his twitter).

But there hasn't been any news about the captivate on the vibrant yet.

Also, vibrant ji6 != captivate ji6.
it's only a naming coincidence.

I also just checked eugene373's twitter, and the captivate froyo and frankin-twiz is coming this week.

Also, the vibrant has a ji6, but it's still eclair, not froyo.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Also, vibrant ji6 != captivate ji6.
it's only a naming coincidence.
That part was a joke

·
Premium Member
3,013 Posts
Quote:

That part was a joke

to you it might have been, half of the vibrant community still believes that the vibrant's ji6 is the captivate's ji6 just not decrypted. And i have a feeling that the message about vibrant ji6 != captivate ji6 won't make it out of xda and into OCN unless someone posts it now.

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stumped View Post
to you it might have been, half of the vibrant community still believes that the vibrant's ji6 is the captivate's ji6 just not decrypted. And i have a feeling that the message about vibrant ji6 != captivate ji6 won't make it out of xda and into OCN unless someone posts it now.
Ah, didn't realize there was anything like that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts