Overclock.net banner

Xeb's Wonderous Adventures as a Mac Tech

65922 Views 862 Replies 143 Participants Last post by  Lord Xeb
Hey guys, this is going to be my on going thread to help out the community and to explain my....annoyance of my every day job as a mac tech. This thread will be periodically updated with stories, situations, and what I had to do to solve them. Some may be the same, others may be different, but bare in mind on one thing: This is to help you guys... and to vent my rage before I pop a vain.

People who I will refer to (Not real names):

Lee - Service Supervisor - Chill dude
Jim - GM - <3 this guy. BEST MANAGER EVER!
Francis - New guy and fresh meat.
Pete - PC tech
Serg - Another PC Tech
Ali - My fellow mac tech.
Larry - God among gods. Old service manager and he knows something about something about something. Guy is a problem fixer and a damn good one at that. Works upstairs as well.
James - The owner, boss.
Gilbert - Another sales guy

SC - Sister Company - Upstairs and where men are men.
TL - Tech Land. Where I work and the otherside of the business.

Betsy - The ever so loving trash can.
Adventures with a wonderful machine.... and file vault...

Double trouble?

SHE RETURNS!

OH DEAR GOD! MAIL! NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Broken LCD...

The Fans...THEY HUNGER! FOR MORE!

WOAH! WOAH! WOAH! Hold on a second! You did what?!

So... Why is your machine shipped wtih a single tissue in the box and no packing?

So... Why won't you install?

IPHOTO!!!! DAMN YOU!!! AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHY IN THE HELL CAN'T THINGS JUST GO AS PLANNED?

Herka Derk, mah be no boot

Xeb is working on a PC job? wut?

ITS GONE! ITS FINALLY GONE! OMG I AM GOING TO CRY, BUT IT IS FINALLY GONE!

I thought this upgrade was suppose to be easy...

Dust? Wait what? Dust? WHY THE HELL WON'T IT GO AWAY?! FAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Another monstrous iPhoto Libra- Wait, what the hell is this?

So... What kind of mess is this crap? And why the hell am I always getting mixed up in this?

An ANNOYING continuation to somethingPrevious...
Ah poop...

Someone... Please, for the love of god, kill this lady!!!! I think she broken....

WHHHHHHYYYYY????!!!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

Who the... what? WHY! JUST FREAKING WORK GOD DAMMIT!! mad.gif

Hold on... wait.. what the hell? THERE IS SOMETHING GROWING INSIDE THIS THING!

So you cannot delete these files, huh?

Wait, whao. Um... can I say it? Holy-! THIS THING IS FAST BRAH! Wait... hold on... what? WHY IS IT DOING THAT?

Wait... Um... is that 2.. What? These are new? WHY!??!?

A Month... of Hell

LET THE TANKING COMMENCE!!!!!

What in sam's hell is this mess?

FUUUUUU MOUNTAIN LION!!!! GAHAHAuhasdiufhasiudnhfuiabewghnSFRiuyaWSE$FRYIUbgnhazsweÏ˝ˇ¨ˆnhbaejswuiFgr

O-o Uh...gaiz, we gotz a problemz!

And the importance of Permissions IIISSS!!!!

Oh the doom! THE DOOM! THE DOOOOOOOMMMM!!!! AHHHH SPOTLIGHT Y U NO SHINE?

FUUUUUUUUUUUU Y U NO RUN FAST?

Oh boy... Mac Pro with now power, a time limit, and.... a Challenge?

Oh, why hello thar. I see wha- OH FOR THE LOVE GOD AND MOTHER OF ALL THAT IS HOLY!

Well... herb-derb Apple does it again.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't, but it sure in the hell seems to be something it is not.

OUTLOOK!!!!!!!!!

OH HAI GAIZ! I HAZ UPDATE!

Oh Outlook. How I hate you so. Please, take this bottle of cyanide and DISAPPEAR!

Keychains and Mail. Oh boy!

An Act of Vengeance...

Oh the joys of Entourage. Oh such crappy software, why do you make me want to dangle from a tree?
^^^^ I did all that without messing up once.
wheee.gif
821 - 840 of 863 Posts

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #821 ·
Boy it really has been a long time hasn't it? Well, you know what time it is! UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE! w00t

*cough*

Oh the joys of Entourage. Oh such crappy software, why do you make me want to dangle from a tree?
Well, this one was a hell of a beauty of a problem. What sucks even more is that I was the one that had to fix it. Reason? The previous tech who worked on it didn't know entourage and didn't know the troubles that follow. Lets begin this suicidal tale shall we?

So, this wonderful woman (I mean it, she is great and very nice) is using Entourage for her OptOnline email. However, it runs VERY poorly. I mean, it is painful just to use the damn thing. Worse yet, it wasn't even configured properly!

With POP based emails, all email clients I know of have a setting to "leave a copy of message on the server" and also "remove from server after x number days/weeks/months. Well, that there is the problem. It was setup to leave a copy on the server, but only for a week! That means if this kind soul had suffered a hard drive failure or something, it would have caused her to loose even her emails!

We cannot have that! Well, just so happens she HATES entourage. Of which, I suggested we move her to Apple Mail (something that really does work quite well honestl). The nice thing here is that OptOnline finally decided to get with the 21st century and FINALLY support IMAP. You have ANY idea how long I have wanted this to happen? IT IS ABOUT DAMN TIME!

Now, I don't know if she hates Entourage as much as I do but you are about to find out why!

Lets begin shall we?

First off, we have to get all of the email out of Entourage and convert it into something Apple Mail actually understands. You would think this is an easy process, but you would be sadly mistaken. VERY sadly mistaken. This is where I begin my sorry tale of sorrow and not longing for this world anymore.

Lets try and see if we can take the easy path first. What we need here is a system running Snow Leopard. The version of Apple Mail there supports importing from Entourage. This is a very handy feature because once it is in Apple Mail, the upgrade path to Yosemite (which she is running) is rather painless.

I first take her Entourage Identity and copy it over to an external . This is located inside of Documents > Microsoft User Data > Entourage Identities.
Next, I pull it onto one of our systems already running Snow Leopard and Office 2008 (which uses the version of entourage she has. Once this is done, I can then open Entourage and make sure it sees it. Afterward, you open Apple Mail, click File > Import and select to import from Entourage.

Some time later...

Okay, lets see if it di-

Uh... what? None of her emails came over.... oh holy hell. Looks like we got a damaged Entourage identity on our hands!

Lets try repairing it then importing?

Well... that is not good. Great, now we have to do things to hard way.

WOO! My job just gets better and better... NOT!

So, how are we going to do this? Well, we have to get Entourage into Office 2011 first, then I can use a program that converts an OLM (Office 2011 Archive) into an mbox format (something that is universal and Apple Mail understands).

Now, lets pray really hard that this works. When Entourage gets messed up like this, you never know if you are going to get lemons or lemonade... or just a mouth full of cactus spins, acid and nice sized helping of cyanide to go wash it all down as you cry yourself to oblivion.

In Office 2011, go File > Import. Select Entourage and tell it to do its thing. Then we wait again.

The Next Day...
Did that do someth-

That did not work.. what... the hell!

Okay, lets try this a different way.
In Entourage > File > Export > Select only mail

Now that is done, lets try this again?
Outlook 2011 > Import > Import Entourage Archive GO!

Oh, look, that actually worked! Since this has been imported into Outlook 2011, any kind of funny business in the database is gone. Export into OLM GO!

Look here. We got this cute little OLM! Now I just use this nifty program I have and convert it into an mbox, then import into mail.

On the third day he creat- wait this isn't that

Since this has all been imported into Apple Mail, it is time to FINALLY get all this wonderful woman's email back onto the server AND have it use IMAP.

In Apple Mail, I just create an email account, use the following settings:
Incoming Server - mail.optonline.net - Port 993 w/ SSL
Outgoing Server - mail.optonline.net - Port 465 w/ SSL
Use customer's login and done.

That is working. It is time to transfer everything.
Normally, this would be as easy as dragging and dropping everything from "On My Mac" into the inbox, sent items, etc. but NO. OptOnline still manage to screw this one up. They don't let you create a folder inside of the Inbox! Really?

*logs into server, creates folder called Inbox Folders*
Alrighty then. Everything is transferred. Her email is now setup as IMAP. I also do this on her phone and iPad.

Did things really have to be that hard? Where's my drink?

• Rep+
Reactions: TheSocialHermit

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
Did everyone forget about this thread?
frown.gif
I r sads.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #824 ·
Boy it has been a while. I iwll have to see if I have some more to put up. Now that the jerk that i worked with for so long is gone (trust me, I really hated this guy. I never felt so much angst toward another individual). I can finally focus on things and be able to do what I love most. Fixing stuffs.

· Registered
2,275 Posts
I wish I could work in real IT in a break/fix environment like that lol. Even with the frustration, I love the challenge. Doing remote call center stuff like I do now is ok, but i miss the trenches like that. You're stories let us live vicariously through you! Keep them coming man!
thumb.gif

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #826 ·
Thanks dude.

· Registered
310 Posts
Subscribed for learning the knowledge
thumb.gif

· Premium Member
4,547 Posts
Ah. Now I can die. a new update arrived to fill the void in my life.

· Probably sleep deprived
7,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

I wish I could work in real IT in a break/fix environment like that lol. Even with the frustration, I love the challenge. Doing remote call center stuff like I do now is ok, but i miss the trenches like that. You're stories let us live vicariously through you! Keep them coming man!
thumb.gif
Its really not all its cracked up to be
tongue.gif

Source: 5+ years experience

· Music Producer
7,076 Posts
This thread is soo good.

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
biggrin.gif
I try >.>I got one coming up here soon that is... well lets say a freaking nightmare.

7,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Xeb View Post

biggrin.gif
I try >.>I got one coming up here soon that is... well lets say a freaking nightmare.
None of it makes any sense to me, but I still read it

· Registered
310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

None of it makes any sense to me, but I still read it
Sounds like calculus.

7,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr squishy View Post

Sounds like calculus.
Things that dont make sense for $500 please Alex

· Registered
2,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilWrir View Post

Its really not all its cracked up to be
tongue.gif

Source: 5+ years experience
I'll take it over call center faux-tech support. :/ half my day is helping the elderly program a remote or figure out why the tv says no signal. And this, in whats supposed to be "escalated tech support"... le sigh.

7,681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valor958 View Post

I'll take it over call center faux-tech support. :/ half my day is helping the elderly program a remote or figure out why the tv says no signal. And this, in whats supposed to be "escalated tech support"... le sigh.
Working as a bench tech or a supervisor of a dept (like I am currently) isnt really any different in that regard
tongue.gif

· Missing friends
15,981 Posts
Another sub

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #838 ·
biggrin.gif

· Linux Gamer
963 Posts
So subbed
thumb.gif

· Data Recovery Engineer
24,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #840 ·
Xeb does data recovery!

Oh boy. This one was fun. My data recovery tech doesn't have the best of soldering skills. However, somehow, I do. And well. I will let the picture speak for itself.

This flash drive was bent downward causing the 2 pins for data to be ripped off the board pads and all! The traces were also broken. So... Yeah. Fun times. I grabbed an IDE cable, took a bit of wire, soldered it to the the broken leads... well... then I followed the traces to the controller. Those suckers are damns small! Since the IDE cable has many fine wires inside it. I snipped everything down till I only had one. After putting some flux down on the controller leads, I tinned the wire and quickly soldered them into place on the controller's legs. Plugged it in and prayed. Guess what? It worked! w00t! Dragged and dropped everything off the drive. Only took about 45 minutes or so (because I was looking closely and double checking before plugging things in.

Let it be know of my godly skills with the soldering iron!

FYI, I did this without a magnifying glass.
smile.gif

821 - 840 of 863 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.