Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently acquired a 1650 v3 and I would like to use it to replace one of my gaming/workstations at home. So my question to the kind community of OC is this:

What is the max RAM speed (do not care to use ECC) this processor will support?

I have seen only one website stating this chip will only support DDR4-2133, but I have also seen a few build from PCPP in which people use speeds up to 3200+. I would like to ultimately run DDR4-4000+, but I will probably purchase DDR4-3200 (if this chip can support such speeds).

·
Registered
2,365 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Lol. Thanks. I had seen that, but I also know websites aren't always kept up to date...there are have been other times that AMD or Intel has said that it supports X, but it actually supports >X. I was actually looking for maybe a more in depth answer or first hand account of the situation. Someone on OC posted their build with a 1650 v3 with DDR4-2400 it had an image showing their speed at 2400 (I am still unsure of how true it was)...which is one of the reasons I found doubt on Intel's site.

So I would like this thread/question to be considered unanswered for now...

I just want to verify before I go off and spend a load of cash.

Thanks anyways, Spacedinvader!

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
I tested an E5-1680 v3 and overclocked the memory to 3200 C14-14-14-32 1T. You just need to hope the IMC is strong and can support that overclock. As well and proper memory tuning regarding vccio/vccsa/dramv etc.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you guys have any boards you recommend that will allow for this? Preferably in the sub $300 range? I was looking at the evga micro2...would that work? Thanks again!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexpot View Post

I tested an E5-1680 v3 and overclocked the memory to 3200 C14-14-14-32 1T. You just need to hope the IMC is strong and can support that overclock. As well and proper memory tuning regarding vccio/vccsa/dramv etc.
You are correct. I just got off the phone with Intel. They are only supporting 2133 and they just got lucky with 2400mhz.

If you were to build an all inclusive workstation and gaming rig, would you trade it in for an i7 so you could run 4000+ ram or would you stick with the 1650 v3?

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
I had both an E5-1680 v3 and 5960X - both were capable of 3200MHz with proper tuning of voltages and bios settings. Unless you know and will take the time to properly tune the dram settings, it's going to be hard to get anything higher than default from either CPU.

In my case, I kept the 5960X because it overclocks to 4.7GHz and the E5-1680 v3 only went to 4.5GHz.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Quote:
Originally Posted by sexpot View Post

I had both an E5-1680 v3 and 5960X - both were capable of 3200MHz with proper tuning of voltages and bios settings. Unless you know and will take the time to properly tune the dram settings, it's going to be hard to get anything higher than default from either CPU.

In my case, I kept the 5960X because it overclocks to 4.7GHz and the E5-1680 v3 only went to 4.5GHz.
Dang. I hate tuning the dram settings. I have been spoiled by AMP/XMP
rolleyes.gif

I think I am going to try and sell it and purchase a different chip.

Which i7 would you recommend that supports quad channel ram and doesn't have that same restrictions on ram speed?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts