Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a chance to snag a Xeon 2670v3 for an obscenely low price (under $250) and was wondering if the FPS hit I'll take while gaming would be that severe, as that CPU is @2.3-3.1gHZ. I know that games favor faster cores but the appeal of having 12/24 cores is just too much for me to pass on. I do run a few virtual machines and I do light video editing but I'm primarily going to game on this machine.

So I can go with the 5820K, or grab the Xeon and hope to squeeze a bit more performance out of it via OC, which I'm not too familiar with as I've never OC'd a non-K SKU on the X99 platform, I'm sure it's possible though.

Any advise/input is appreciated, thanks.

·
OC Enthusiast
1,054 Posts
a small impact in certain games

what do you play and which graphic card do you have?

its always preferable to go with the faster chip thn more cores for gaming but if you do video edit you will get a good boost with a xeon

·
RIP OCN 2018
3,119 Posts
I would get the Xeon, see how it runs and if it limits.

If it does, find some with a 5960X who wants to trade
biggrin.gif

• Rep+
Reactions: OmegaCypher

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
I'd grab the Xeon if I were you, even if it doesn't perform as well in certain games.

BTW, wherever you're getting it from, are there any other Xeon SKUs available? The E5-1xxx series is overclockable.

Also, once you get it, you should post another thread. I really want you to run SVP mark on that monster, just to see how it stacks up against an overclocked 5960X.
biggrin.gif

https://www.svp-team.com/w/index.php?title=SVPmark

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcosta View Post

its always preferable to go with the faster chip thn more cores for gaming but if you do video edit you will get a good boost with a xeon
I run a Titan X on a Z97 board currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

biggrin.gif
Lol, good idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

I'd grab the Xeon if I were you, even if it doesn't perform as well in certain games.

BTW, wherever you're getting it from, are there any other Xeon SKUs available? The E5-1xxx series is overclockable.

Also, once you get it, you should post another thread. I really want you to run SVP mark on that monster, just to see how it stacks up against an overclocked 5960X.
biggrin.gif

They only have the one Xeon, and a Gigabyte X99-UD4 board. I can get both for $325. And I'll definitely run SVP when I finish the machine and come back to post the results!

·
Premium Member
6,456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmegaCypher View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcosta View Post

I run a Titan X on a Z97 board currently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xioros View Post

biggrin.gif
Lol, good idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

biggrin.gif

They only have the one Xeon, and a Gigabyte X99-UD4 board. I can get both for $325. And I'll definitely run SVP when I finish the machine and come back to post the results!
Thanks!

On a more practical note, with a Titan X and that Xeon, you're one of the few people who can actually run SVP at 1440p/96hz+ or at 4K with good settings. If you have a good screen, videos are gonna look really, really good if you set it up right.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts