Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

The Xeon E5 2600 series CPU's such as E5 2696 V3 18C|36T don't support fast memory speeds - maybe 2133 Mhz and 2400 Mhz on the broadwell V4's !

With XMP it may be a little different - On X99 platform several users have reported 3200 Mhz working under XMP with 6900 K / 6950 X i7's etc...........

Does anyone know if a Xeon E5 2696 V3 / E5 2697 V3 would be able to work under the same XMP supported on the motherboard? - At some point I'll try this out and know for myself but what about it?

Maybe it could vary from board to board? - Maybe Gigabyte maybe more flexible than Asus in this way ? - Anybody know ? - Drop a line - Thanks -

The screen shots below came form an AsRock X99 Extreme 4 with Xeon E5 2698 V3 (cheaper on Ebay now) with 128 GB 2133 @ 2240 Mhz DDR4 - The only niggle is one of the cores takes a dip from 3700 Mhz to 1200 Mhz briefly - :) - Maybe the 14 core E5 2697 V3 can sustain all core load without dropping down or possibly the 12 core E5 2690 V3 !.

The temps screen shot is after P95 for 21 hours - :) - That is easy to manage compared to volcano like Kaby Lake ! that had to be de-lidded !

Attachments

·
Old to Overclock.net
3,229 Posts
Not in my experience, best thing to do is just tighten timings as low as you can go at 2133 with a slight BCLK OC. XMP won't apply anything over 2133 on Haswell-E Xeons.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Hi gtz,

OK - I'm looking at some Corsair LPX DDR4 memory @ 3200 Mhz - So this would work under XMP with the usual i7's such as 5960 X etc...... but with the Xeon E5's this is a total no go? - Is this the case that Haswell Xeon E5 wouldn't budge from 2133 Mhz? - Even with memory that would support it?

I can understand an OC of memory not working - But what about if the memory is rated @ 3200 Mhz from Corsair?

EDIT - Worst case scenario is that the timing would be brought down from CL13 to CL12 - It won't be a disaster either way -

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello again gtz,

Have you ever tried it out? - With some XMP rated @ 3200 Mhz for example on - Xeon E5 26XX series CPU? - So far my only attempt is with E5 2698 V3 & 2133 Mhz rated early DDR4 kit.

The newer kits support higher XMP frequencies - but the Xeon E5 Haswells remain the same.

At some point I'll build another machine with another Haswell E5 Xeon E5 26xx series CPU - If you have already tried off the shelf XMP 3000 Mhz+ and it has not worked then I'd be wasting my time thinking about it and may as well use standard off the shelf 2133 Mhz.

But if you or others haven't tried this then it may be worth a go.

The 2133 Mhz prices are more than the 3200 Mhz prices for the Corsair LPX on a site I've checked!

·
Expert pin bender
2,948 Posts
I usually run ecc ram with my e5 2670 of course that on older ones and ddr3. I would think anything higher speed would run a lower speed by default.(depends on main board of course)

I think the question would be more for the main board side as to if the ram would be compatible.
As for ram speeds and xmp on xeons I have a e5 2683v3 that I have ran with multiple ram sets. While it didn't do xmp it did always work just at lower speeds.

Not sure that helps at all hah.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello - dagget3450 !

You mention E5 2683 V3 - And using multiple RAM sets and it did not do XMP but did work @ 2133 Mhz - So you have tried this! - And this is helpful info.

Like most people I'd be using main stream boards from Asus, Gigabyte and AsRock for the X99 chipset - I think I'll stick with 2133 Mhz for the Haswell Xeons - The X99 chipset is very good and with thunderbolt support would make some good builds with currently existing technology - The Haswell Xeons temps are really good - It's a joy to use these under load without worrying too much about over heating parts - Of course a spot fan would be handy here and there!

You also mention E5 2670 - That I now call E5 2670_0 because there was a version 2 - :) - Now these are pretty good processors as well - I've got some X79-T motherboards (don't even know who made them) and there is no website for downloading drivers or BIOS files - Which run a 7-Series chipset (think Intel socket 1150 & 3770K) but with LGA 2011 socket for Sandy and Ivy Bridge processors. Only downside is no thunderbolt on X79 and only 2 x Sata 6 G ports - But RAID cards can be used - And still quite potent CPU's.

I won't pursue faster XMP speeds for Xeon E5's on X99 - I'll take it how it comes - Thanks

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,507 Posts
99% of xeons on x99 do not support memory overclocking. Only the 1620/1650/1660/1680 chips are unlocked and allow overclocking.

V3 is capped at 2133, V4's are capped at 2400.

I do believe there are a few custom chips that support 2666. Those will end in non-zeros, andif intel's ark website does not have them listed, you will have to research them.

Grab a 1680 V3, and enjoy 4ghz all cores at 1.1v or even lower depending on the silicone lottery.

FSB overclocking can work, but it is purely chip to chip how they work. Some of my Xeons can do 110mhz, some fail at only 102mhz. Ive had one go up to 127mhz bus speed, but that was a custom quadcore sitting around 1.4ghz.

TLDR:,, buy an unlocked xeon in 4, 6, or 8 core flavor and tweak away.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello Mattliston,

This is great information - helpful, even if it isn't what I want to hear - :) - Having looked through a CPU-Z validator section for these processors it can be seen that absolutely nobody is using RAM faster than 2133 Mhz - I'm OK with this - And I do have a good number of Xeons and X99 motherboards - Also have a good amount of 6900K / 6950 X / 6850 K - Now they are lots cheaper.

It's great to have these options on X99 - along with unlocked processors and the performance is pretty damn good - with good temps on the Haswell's - All in all I'm glad to have looked into this even if there is a tinge of disappointment of being limited to 2133 & 2400 Mhz.

On the Asrock X99 boards thunderbolt 2 cards work as well - :)

·
AMD OC'ing Enthusiast
3,507 Posts
Just keep something in mind. With quad channel ram and utilizing 4 or 8 sticks, you have a TON of memory bandwidth. Faster rated memory does not always mean faster overall.

I have some samsung based ECC ram that is rated for 2666 CL19, and it craps all over 4400 CL18 dual channel ram in raw bandwidth. The lower latency of faster ram does not always translate into faster overall performance.

Even when stuck at 2133 or 2400, you can still play with secondary timings and tweak for fun.

I have achieved over 60 gigs per second bandwidth in read and write. Latency was slow, but bandwidth can indeed make up for it, especially when you have 32-64 gb of total ram that the oeprating system and programs you run take advantage of it.

When doing database work, for example, having raw performance helps far more than low bandwidth with super snappy latency numbers.

·
Twin Turbski
1,607 Posts
Just keep something in mind. With quad channel ram and utilizing 4 or 8 sticks, you have a TON of memory bandwidth. Faster rated memory does not always mean faster overall.

I have some samsung based ECC ram that is rated for 2666 CL19, and it craps all over 4400 CL18 dual channel ram in raw bandwidth. The lower latency of faster ram does not always translate into faster overall performance.

Even when stuck at 2133 or 2400, you can still play with secondary timings and tweak for fun.

I have achieved over 60 gigs per second bandwidth in read and write. Latency was slow, but bandwidth can indeed make up for it, especially when you have 32-64 gb of total ram that the oeprating system and programs you run take advantage of it.

When doing database work, for example, having raw performance helps far more than low bandwidth with super snappy latency numbers.
That's right, you can populate all slots and still do pretty good in the bandwidth department.

Here is my z840 with all sixteen memory slots populated (dual processor, 8 channels)
For reference you will need over 7000MHz DDR5 in quad channel to beat this. So speed is not the "be all" (but personally, I like low latency setups as well, this was just purpose built)

Light Umbrella Screenshot Font Software

·
Twin Turbski
1,607 Posts
Wow thanks for the screenshot - 16 DIMMS is a lot, yes I can see how adding more DIMMS increases the bandwidth.
And of course this level of performance is contingent on having a dual processor CPU configuration, since each CPU only supports up to 4 channels. I think there are only a handful of motherboards with 16 DIMM slots. Namely the HP z820 or z840 workstations and their dell equivalent.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Storm Chaser,

Asus Z10PE-D16-WS - (no thunderbolt sadly) - :) - Asus also have the C621-E-Sage but it only has 12 dimms -:unsure: - But still lots of bandwidth.

I built an Asus Z9PE-D8 WS - With two cheaper E5 2690 V2's - But I'm more than happy to be able to use E5 2698 V3 or better in a single socket board - :)

I can see myself sticking with these slightly older boards now - Brand new at the time but now gone away now - The fact that DDR5 is here and new Intel CPU architecture (with compatibility issues) with current software means too many early adopters problems I'm avoiding.

Several years ago I remember looking at the Passmark "High End" CPU's and seeing a top score of 30,000 points for multi-threaded, now it sits @ 55,000 and the likes of my E5 2698 V3 gets 25,500 approximately means it pointless trying to keep up - You can see the score at the top - and that is 16 cores ! - A 6950 X 10C|20T wouldn't be far behind !

1 - 13 of 13 Posts