Overclock.net banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,005 Posts
If the chip is a socket 775 chip, then it cannot work (or fit even, I think) in the 1366 socket. But if it's a socket 1366 chip, and if the motherboard claims to support the chip in question, then it should work perfectly.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I know there are some folks who have dropped a a W3520 into a Gigabyte X58 UD3R and it works. A lot will depend on which Xeon you want to use and which board. You want dual xeons and OC ability then get the SR-2 board from EVGA. Best to ask again when you have a specific chip and board in mind. Also keep in mind there are uni and dual proc Xeons. The above W3520 is designed to be used in single CPU config only.

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Keyreaper View Post
As title says, can you drop a Xeon chip into 1366 Socket and have it overclocked? Like in an X58 Chipset Motherboard? I don't know much about Intel chips and wanted to know.

Yep you sure can, if it's for 1366. Just like the Xeon W3520 for example will pop right in an X58 board as it's just a higher binned i7 920.

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I have a w3520 in my Classified. Runs a like a champ. I have it OC'd to 4.9Ghz 24/7 on SS.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Evtron View Post
Yep you sure can, if it's for 1366. Just like the Xeon W3520 for example will pop right in an X58 board as it's just a higher binned i7 920.
This is a misconception. There is no proof that Xeons are "higher binned" silicon.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I don't know what you require as "proof" but i'll always buy the Xeon versions for equal money. I'm running a w3520 in my EVGA Classafied and awaiting the retail release of the w3680.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gillbot View Post
This is a misconception. There is no proof that Xeons are "higher binned" silicon.
*Edit: I wasn't even going to waste my time with this but i'm laid-over in an airport so my time is already wasted....

Here you go....
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?id...32,39718,37147, (straight from Intel)
Check the VID range on the Xeons vs their equal I7 counterparts and tell me thats not better binning. Even the W Xeon's are binned higher than the i7 Extreme Edition, and the VID range between the 920 and w3520 is ridiculous. And they are the exact same $.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by trn View Post
I don't know what you require as "proof" but i'll always buy the Xeon versions for equal money. I'm running a w3520 in my EVGA Classafied and awaiting the retail release of the w3680.

*Edit: I wasn't even going to waste my time with this but i'm laid-over in an airport so my time is already wasted....

Here you go....
http://ark.intel.com/Compare.aspx?id...32,39718,37147, (straight from Intel)
Check the VID range on the Xeons vs their equal I7 counterparts and tell me thats not better binning. Even the W Xeon's are binned higher than the i7 Extreme Edition, and the VID range between the 920 and w3520 is ridiculous. And they are the exact same $.
Lower VID does NOT automatically equal a "better binned" chip. I can assure you, after messing with many a CPU from intel to test, many clock EXACTLY the same given a set of voltages.

·
Registered
401 Posts
Its proven that Batch # is more important than much anything else. But if i'm buying a random batch 920 of the net or a random batch w3520... Well I bought 3 920's and the 1 Xeon I bought was a much better overclocker. Not the most scientific results; but between Intel's higher spec for the Xeon's at the same price as the i7's i'm always going to buy the Xeon (if dealing with random or unknown batches.) As always... ymmv.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts