Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive seen xeon cpus being offered for desktop, from what ive know xeon is for servers, right? which is more faster the 45nm quads or the 45nm xeon?

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
You're all over the map on this one dude. I believe there were a few Xeons for socket 775 that used 45nm process, but keep in mind that Xeons are designed for servers.

Faster is also subjective. 2 identical 45nm CPU's will OC differently.

·
Premium Member
2,485 Posts
If you buy them in the same package, they are effectively identical. That is, a LGA 775 Xeon is the same as a LGA 775 Quad. See my rig.

·
Premium Member
17,407 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
beside OC xeon, can it be used as a desktop computer? compared to quad which is better for home used?

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Xeons are used for servers and high-end workstations. They're intended to have much higher I/O and memory throughput, and handle 24x7 loads. A few lower-end Xeons in Socket 775 were only slightly more than rebranded Core2 Quads or Duals. For the increase in price they don't offer much value, but it might be good to buy one if you intend to run a 24x7 loaded system like a SMP folding rig.

Your Socket 771 Xeon will pretty much own a Core2 Quad at the same frequency and multiplier primarily because it's coupled with a server-class northbridge talking to registered FBDIMMs (these use a multiple channel serial interface which more resenbles PCIe lanes, while regular DIMMS are parallel, like PCI). Of course, since you're going to have TWO of these Xeons on a motherboard...

Another key difference is that many Xeons can take higher temperatures yet use less power. This is quite important when you've got a blade rack full of them and you're paying for electricity.

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I have an X3330, it's IDENTICAL to my old Q9400. There is ZERO difference, even the OC was identical, down to the temps and voltage settings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts