Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I will be upgrading my computer near Christmas and am wondering what is better for the money, I game at 1680x1050 and don't plan to upgrade my monitor for a few years.

I will be putting my 8800GTS in my folding rig and this card will be used for my main rig. I will also be getting a P45 crossfire motherboard and a new powersupply.

Would 2 3870's in crossfire be better than a single 4850 since they are around the same price after rebates.

Also, what kind of PSU would I need for this rig, I will be putting my current psu in my folding rig, I am thinking like an Antec 650W psu should be enough.

Thanks again and any useful posts will get rep+
 

·
Beyond
Joined
·
4,493 Posts
I vote for 1 HD4850.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
Get the 4850, less hassle, better upgrade.

Here is a nice comprehensive comparioson:

=on&prod[2120]=on]Long List Of Games

The sums of 1680x1050 are roughly 1% apart, meaning it would make more sense to get a 4850, have a free slot, and not worry about CrossFire driver issues.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, I have pretty much decided to do a new build and sell my sig rig. I am thinking a 4850, P5Q Pro Motherboard, Xig Cooler, E7300 Processor along with the rest of the goodies like case, hdd, and the Antec PSU,
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The E7400 is only a half multi and is like $15 more, I will consider everything though, I might go with an E8500 instead
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,332 Posts
I vote for 4850
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I go for the 4850 would it make more sense to stay with my current motherboard until I need xfire and save $120?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,485 Posts
I would, it will only save you money.

EDIT: TBH, I wish I had purchased a single PCIe mobo.
 

·
Beyond
Joined
·
4,493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014 View Post
Thanks guys, I have pretty much decided to do a new build and sell my sig rig. I am thinking a 4850, P5Q Pro Motherboard, Xig Cooler, E7300 Processor along with the rest of the goodies like case, hdd, and the Antec PSU,
Sounds like a plan. I can vouch for the P5Q Pro. That board is one of the best I've ever had. The open box version is a super bargain at around $88 shipped.

Edit:

Quote:

Originally Posted by huntman21014 View Post
If I go for the 4850 would it make more sense to stay with my current motherboard until I need xfire and save $120?
I was actually thinking the same thing. If that will work for you go for it!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,150 Posts
I say 4850 hands down,you will love that card it has AMAZING perfomance for the price and besides you won't have any possible crossfire issues.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,260 Posts
A 4850 i do not think will MATCH 2x3870's but i vote for a 4850 because it is simply less hassel to set up, if you want to look cool by all means go for CF but 4850 will just be more worthwhile in the long run
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Quote:


Originally Posted by jtypin
View Post

A 4850 i do not think will MATCH 2x3870's but i vote for a 4850 because it is simply less hassel to set up, if you want to look cool by all means go for CF but 4850 will just be more worthwhile in the long run

I am pretty sold on the 4850 but if I keep my current motherboard I have an extra $120, would I be better off going with a 4870 even at my resolution?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,249 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by huntman21014
View Post

If I go for the 4850 would it make more sense to stay with my current motherboard until I need xfire and save $120?

Totally keep the current mobo. Until you'll actually use Xfire and want to purchase another one the prices will be much lower.

Quote:


Originally Posted by huntman21014
View Post

I am pretty sold on the 4850 but if I keep my current motherboard I have an extra $120, would I be better off going with a 4870 even at my resolution?

At 1680* there will be like a 5% benefit, but the added value of the 4870 becomes obvious from 1920* and up.

Frankly, I don't see the point of the 4870 for 1680*, but if you plan going higher, or using AA (for each 4x count a one step resolution in performance drop 4xAA1680~=1920) a 1GB 4850 is better vs a 512MB 4870. Up until 1920* the 4870 may be 5% faster, but both are playable. In the advent you'll ever go to 2500* (or 8xAA 1680*) an 1GB card is mandatory.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,862 Posts
I love my x-fire 3870s they are dirt cheap. the 'only' problem I have had with them is the sapphire would run at 80+ (in an antec 900) before going in rivatuner and cranking the fan to 100%. just my
 
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Top