Overclock.net banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I setup a xfire account years ago but haven't been using it. I don't know, it always struck me as spyware.. but thats probably just me.

So with steam out, what exactly is xfire good for? What does it do that might make me want to go back.

·
Registered
566 Posts
well for games not on steam most ppl use it. for example on cod4 every1 uses xfire. i like it better then steam anyway haha

·
Premium Member
9,806 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunrex View Post
I setup a xfire account years ago but haven't been using it. I don't know, it always struck me as spyware.. but thats probably just me.

So with steam out, what exactly is xfire good for? What does it do that might make me want to go back.
Same here. I made it years and years ago, and haven't really used it. Before steam came out I used to use gamespy. That actually worked very well.

·
Registered
956 Posts
i like xfire, it's good for those games which don't work on steam or you got them differently

i like it though, it seems to be faster than steam on my computer

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Nearly every gamer I've ever met has an xfire account. Good way to stay in touch and play a game together.

It's great for chatting and screenshots.

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
There are some old but fun games that you can play on it.
SWAT 4 and JediKnight III academy are best played on xfire

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Ever since Steam has come into its own XFire has been relegated to the irrelevant bin, IMO. AKA the last 5 years

·
Registered
259 Posts
Xfire i find is faster than Steam. Xfire is a simple chat inerface to connect you with your other Xfire friends so if you have friends that play popular steam games you usually only need steam and vice versa.

·
Registered
785 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miitch View Post
Xfire i find is faster than Steam. Xfire is a simple chat inerface to connect you with your other Xfire friends so if you have friends that play popular steam games you usually only need steam and vice versa.
You shift+tab to access chat in steam while in game.

Isn't XFire much the same?

·
Premium Member
7,204 Posts
I installed xfire, and uninstalled it almost immediately. Caused a bug on my computer, forget what. Audio I think.

Anyway, still prefer steam, and if the game is not steam based, I'll add it anyway.

·
Premium Member
8,423 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Miitch View Post
Perhaps you're held back by your system, as Steam operates instantaneously for me

·
Premium Member
16,447 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by staryoshi
View Post

Perhaps you're held back by your system, as Steam operates instantaneously for me

Xfire is indeed faster, Steam has many more features not just chat/usage tracker.

I like the old simple UI of Steam but thats just me...

·
Registered
4,136 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by LiLChris
View Post

Xfire is indeed faster, Steam has many more features not just chat/usage tracker.

I like the old simple UI of Steam but thats just me...

I think Xfire has more features that just work better then steam does.

Only thing that i think steam has more of / is better is the amount of people on it (Forced to be on it) and the deals in the store. Thats it xfire runs smoother in game to i believe.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have tried using xfire several times over the years so I could chat with my non-gamer msn friends while having some fun. Each time it has left a sour taste in my mouth. No matter what I do to it or how long i look for a reasonable skin, I find myself wanting to claw my eyes out. The other features were pretty useless to me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts