Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I have currently experienced a lot of problems with my XFX 4870x2 that I have owned for at least 2 years now.
First of all could I just say that I stopped playing games a few months ago, not generally just now because I was busy most of the time so the GPU shouldnt have been stressed.

Ok let me start off with the problems that I experienced:

I had all type of crashes for no reason, whether I was looking through the internet, watching a movie etc. So I tried to deinstall 11.12 drivers and i installed 11.11 drivers because thats what I read on some forums. Also what I have done is I run 40% fan at all times to get the temps down, even though they were at 55 degress max.

And these are crashes I had:

A black background with grey vertical stripes across.
A picture frozen with white dots all over the screen.
And generally blue screens all the time.

One time I wrote the file of the blue screen that I think was causing the problem, it was Atigmap.sys (that was before I rolled back my drivers)

And yesterday when I was watching a movie, after about 1:30 minutes the computer froze, I got the white dots on screen and now when Im trying to turn it on I get 3 red lights at start then the fan turns on and thats about it. Sometimes it shows up the boot screen and sometimes it doesnt do anything... Now I took it out and Im running on a GPU from my motherboard and it runs fine.

My PC Spec is:
Cyberesport 1000watt PSU
AMD phenom ii 945 3.0ghz
8GB DDR2 ram 800mhz
Asrock motherboard (cant remember model, its in my sig)
Samsung 1TB HDD

Also could I just say that my pc doesnt have any case fans
frown.gif
And also it sits under my desk in this position. Could this mean that my GPU overheated in this position?

99999999.png

It sits face down, and the heat of the GPU is probably smashed against the table. And the reason why I did that is because I switch my keyboard and ethernet cables all the time from my pc to ps3.
So please help me in this situation and sorry if something I wrote didnt make sense, english is not my first language.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That card runs very hot anyway, and due to not having any case fans (relly should invest in some) and the front of your pc facing the floor...
I'd guess this is heat related. Your PC must be so hot inside, horrible airflow too. You should turn your computer up properly and get some fans to create some airflow. If you are going to replace your card with something else, you don't want to cook that either.

The sysmtoms you are saying does seem like a faulty GPU.

Do you also leave your computer on 24/7 or is the on/off button visible?

·
PC Gamer
3,909 Posts
Yeah your 4870X2 probably gets too hot (or it did once) and it's no good anymore.

I sold my 4850 On ebay and It had a custom cooler on it, I have 2 case fans and it ran at 55c while playing Dirt 3.
Then I got bad rep from the guy who bought it because he said that it was overheating and couldn't boot up with it installed.

Just goes to show you how much Case ventilation matters.

• Rep+
Reactions: iNs3CuRe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My side panel is took off at all times and now I put it on my table to allow some air, and I dont leave my computer on 24/7. I have a button coming out from the side. And for now Im not planning on new gpu because Im only in college and I would have to save up for a long time to get one, I would really love to fix this one
frown.gif
I will try to get some 120mm case fans, I will deinstall AMD drivers and try that. Also do you think that the card could be undervolted? Thats what I read from other threads, My PSU is 1000watt but the make is not really known and from what I read from benchmarks it only produces about 800watt I think.

EDIT: what i thought is that if it stays under right temps at all times, its ok. But now I see that the ventilation actually plays a big part
frown.gif

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
First, try the official drivers http://sites.amd.com/us/game/downloads/Pages/radeon_win7-64.aspx

Second, did you change anything in the system, software or configurations that you can remember?

While watching movies and browsing should not create a lot of heat so I doubt temperature is the issue.

Try to disable hardware acceleration in movie player or whatever you are using to watch movie such as Youtube, FlashPlayer, Cgrome, IE, FireFox. Look for the settings to disable hardware acceleration.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey ken, I have always used the official drivers off the official website. I was using the latest drivers and it was crashing and I went back to 11.11 and it did pretty much the same. Also have I mentioned that at the start of my computer the card always from the beginning was spinning its fan about 70% of speed for a few seconds. And now at boot it shows 3 Red solid lights. I checked google now and they say that it could be something with the PSU and some guy had a low spec PSU and he bought a silverstone 850W and the problem was gone apparently. I dont know
frown.gif
Im lost now.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNs3CuRe View Post

Hey ken, I have always used the official drivers off the official website. I was using the latest drivers and it was crashing and I went back to 11.11 and it did pretty much the same. Also have I mentioned that at the start of my computer the card always from the beginning was spinning its fan about 70% of speed for a few seconds. And now at boot it shows 3 Red solid lights. I checked google now and they say that it could be something with the PSU and some guy had a low spec PSU and he bought a silverstone 850W and the problem was gone apparently. I dont know
frown.gif
Im lost now.
The only way to know if it is the PSU giving out is to try the card i another computer. But considering all the other factors you have given that could have contributed....she is dead. The heat just killed that card

Why no case fans ?

Can you RMA or wrranty the card ?

Is this a bakeable situation guys ?

• Rep+
Reactions: iNs3CuRe

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys I think its the PSU, what I did just now is. I put the card back in the slot, I connected it all up and I started it. And what it did is it tried starting 3 times. When I started my computer the card went on about 60% fan then about 20% and it did that 3 times until it started and my boot screen showed up and its fully functioning, Im actually using it right now. Although the first time I turned it on now it booted but it had horizontal white transparent stripes in different sizes and places and different coloured pixels under them. I reboted it and it did what I said earlier. It tried starting 3 times until it did. I really dont know if thats the PSU or some corrupted files etc And I have one mate with a high end pc, I think he has a 650watt corsair if I remember right. I have actually built it for him, I will ask him if he will let me try out my card for a day to see. But now I will download latest drivers again and put my fan on about 55% to make sure it doesnt overheat more than it probably is. ;/

·
Premium Member
7,127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hednik View Post

Quote:

frown.gif
Im lost now.
The only way to know if it is the PSU giving out is to try the card i another computer. But considering all the other factors you have given that could have contributed....she is dead. The heat just killed that card

Why no case fans ?

Can you RMA or wrranty the card ?

Is this a bakeable situation guys ?
I am not convinced yet if it's related to PSU or temperature but the possilities are there. Let him try few things to rule it out as suggested above.

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
I suggest you get some fans, proper ventilation and a new PSU. Nothing extravagant but something will enough power and a good rating. A TX650 should more than handle a 4870x2.

I doubt it is completely of of the woods though because with all that heat and no ventilation some incrimental damage has been done.....and maybe type reapply the TIM.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken1649 View Post

I am not convinced yet if it's related to PSU or temperature but the possilities are there. Let him try few things to rule it out as suggested above.
Possibly jumping the gun on my part. It just seems like some irreversible damage has been done. Not ruined but unstable

·
Registered
309 Posts
I agree with hednik. He has gamed in the past, so the damage has already been done. A card in an enviroment like that for 2 years - not surprising really.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
no no no sorry my explanation has not been good enough... I have owned the card for 2 years but in this place it has been for about 2 weeks. I downloaded latest official drivers released today. (12.1) and I disabled hardware acceleration as Ken said and Im running 39 degress at 65% fan. I know its pretty loud but i really have no money for upgrades/replacements right now. I want to get 2x 120mm fans, one as an exhaust fan and one to blow on the GPU while its running and also a CM 212+ for my cpu (I am running a stock cooler right now.) I will see how that goes and I will report back, and also could I just say thank you to everyone who is trying to help me solve this problem
thumb.gif
Oh and im going to my mate on saturday for a day of testing the card on his system. I already asked him, his allright with that
biggrin.gif

His running:
i7 920 I think
6GB DDR3
ATI 6970
and a 850watt corsair psu I think
wink.gif

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey everyone, first of all sorry for the double post. Ok now the update:
Since I have done these things:
  • Computer on the desk with window open most of the time.
  • GPU Fan at 60% most of the time but if I want a bit of silence I turn it down to 40%
  • Hardware Acceleration turned OFF
  • Newest official drivers installed yesterday. (12.1)
Since I have done all that I didnt experience any problems yet
biggrin.gif
Thanks you everyone who helped!
thumb.gif

Also I didnt mention it from the beginning but a few days ago I took my GPU and the whole computer to the garage
and I cleaned it with compressed air, I usually do it regularly. To try keep it clean
biggrin.gif

Things I still got to do:
  • Buy 2-3x 120mm Good quality fans
  • Buy CM 212+ for better cooling of my processor
  • Get my PC case to look like a case again
    laugher.gif
Some pictures:

SANY6110.jpg

SANY6108.jpg

SANY6106.jpg

And how it looked few months ago:
With window:
DSC01711.jpg

And without it:
DSC01724.jpg

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
Quote:

Hey everyone, first of all sorry for the double post. Ok now the update:
Since I have done these things:
  • Computer on the desk with window open most of the time.
  • GPU Fan at 60% most of the time but if I want a bit of silence I turn it down to 40%
  • Hardware Acceleration turned OFF
  • Newest official drivers installed yesterday. (12.1)
Since I have done all that I didnt experience any problems yet
biggrin.gif
Thanks you everyone who helped!
thumb.gif

Also I didnt mention it from the beginning but a few days ago I took my GPU and the whole computer to the garage
and I cleaned it with compressed air, I usually do it regularly. To try keep it clean
biggrin.gif

Things I still got to do:
  • Buy 2-3x 120mm Good quality fans
  • Buy CM 212+ for better cooling of my processor
  • Get my PC case to look like a case again
    laugher.gif
Some pictures:
SANY6110.jpg

SANY6108.jpg

SANY6106.jpg

And how it looked few months ago:
With window:
DSC01711.jpg

And without it:
DSC01724.jpg
Glad you figured it out. How are the temps lately ?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Hey everyone! Its now nearly a 3rd day without any problems !
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
biggrin.gif

I have been doing some more tests and I did the GTA IV benchmark:
Temps were:
60% fan speed
GPU 1: 52°C
GPU 2: 42°C

And the results from the benchmark are:
Statistics
Average FPS: 47.99
Duration: 37.40 sec
CPU Usage: 67%
System memory usage: 43%
Video memory usage: 38%

Graphics Settings
Video Mode: 1600 x 900 (60 Hz)
Texture Quality: High
Shadow Quality: High
Reflection Resolution: High
Water Quality: Very High
Texture Filter Quality: Tri-Linear
Night Shadows: Off
View Distance: 25
Detail Distance: 31

Hardware
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Video Adapter: ATI Radeon HD 4870 X2
Video Driver version: 8.17.10.1114
Audio Adapter: Speakers (Creative SB Audigy 2 (WDM))
AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 945 Processor

thumb.gif

1 - 20 of 32 Posts