Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may sound like a dumb question but

at stock clocks, does the BIOS/CCC Fan control do an OK job at regulating fan speeds/keeping the unit cool or should I be using Afterburner?

Also, for whatever reason my memory clock isn't decreasing in 2dmode :l

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
The stock profile is fine unless you have a heavy OC, in which case, you might wanna make a new one in afterburner, and IIRC, memclock stays the same in 2D. Just core decreases.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by foothead
View Post

The stock profile is fine unless you have a heavy OC, in which case, you might wanna make a new one in afterburner, and IIRC, memclock stays the same in 2D. Just core decreases.

If I even OC a few MHz in Afterburner in 2d the memory downclocks to 300mhz. I'm not sure if CCC was doing this before I enabled OverDrive. I'd like to get the default CCC doing this behavior.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Then I'm not sure. Have you edited your BIOS by chance?

You could do that if you needed to. Radeon BIOS editor is the easiest way.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nope, I haven't. I've been trying to avoid it.

Here's my dilemma:

I run 2 monitors. With a multi-monitor setup if you have OverDrive/OC enabled my first screen flickers constantly in 3dmode. Disabling OverDrive/OC fixes this, but doing so makes my memory not downclock in 2dmode which means higher idle temps.

My desire is to get memory downclocking working in 2mode until ATI fixes the drivers, and then I'll OC. I can wait until then because this card destroys everything I throw at it.

So again, if OverDrive/OC is enabled my 2d downclocking works fine, but when it's disabled it stays at full speed and only the gpu core downclocks. What a weird error.

Can anyone else chime in?

·
Registered
3,487 Posts
In MSI Afterburner you can set 2D clocks, try that maybe?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ugh, I wish XFX would release a BIOS update or ATI would fix this in their drivers. I'd like to OC my card to at least the ATI Specs.

If I had brass ones I'd flash it with the 5870 bios but I was already a nervous wreck flashing my mobo's BIOS so there's no way I could do it with this card I just bought :/

(In regard to my main monitor flickering in-game menus)

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Well, I own the exact same card and I know it doesn't seem that way but whether OverDrive is enabled or disabled, the downclocking works properly. You see there are more then one profiles when it comes to the 5850's clock speeds.

1: 157 - 300
2: 400 - 900
3: 400 - 1125 (Never seen this one on the internet but I did see it myself, maybe something XFX did (?))
4: 765 - 1125

The last one is of course, overclockable.

The fan controller is fine if you don't overclock. I did and it didn't cooldown the card well enough, so I made my own.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xenthos View Post
Well, I own the exact same card and I know it doesn't seem that way but whether OverDrive is enabled or disabled, the downclocking works properly. You see there are more then one profiles when it comes to the 5850's clock speeds.

1: 157 - 300
2: 400 - 900
3: 400 - 1125 (Never seen this one on the internet but I did see it myself, maybe something XFX did (?))
4: 765 - 1125

The last one is of course, overclockable.

The fan controller is fine if you don't overclock. I did and it didn't cooldown the card well enough, so I made my own.
The memory idle clock of 1125 is a bug. If I unplug my second monitor it goes all the way back down to 300.

Since I refuse to not use my second monitor I'm running at the stock clocks on this card (765) and running MSI Afterburner to set my Fan speeds to a constant 35%

Gonna do this I guess until it's fixed via drivers/a bios update from xfx

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
AFAIK the 157/300 only comes into play when you overclock the card whether it be in Overdrive or Afterburner. My cards isn't the Black Edition so it might be different but it still downclocks to 400/900 if Overdrive is enabled.

157/300 (2d clocks when overclocking)
400/900 (2d clock when not overclocking)
550/1000 (low power 3d)
725/1000 (high power 3d clocks)

I just made a profile in CCC so my card wouldn't clock down to 157/300 if I overclocked it, of course this results in higher idle temps and power draw but I'd idle at 42c than having tearing on monitor #2.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by xira
View Post

Gonna do this I guess until it's fixed via drivers/a bios update from xfx

I read some threads about this problem, seems to me that it's an ATi driver problem. Some people claimed that it would be fixed with 10.4. Of course that's what they suspect.

·
Stock *ahem*
6,382 Posts
I have a 5850, though it is a Powercolor at 725/1000; it clocks itself right down to 157/300 with Cat 10.2s and the GPU temp is a nice balmy 35 C, with no manual fan control.

Edit to add: XFX seems to constantly have teething problems with ATI cards. I would advise anyone contemplating XFX to wait a few months till BIOS updates come out before snagging a card.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Quantum Reality
View Post

I have a 5850, though it is a Powercolor at 725/1000; it clocks itself right down to 157/300 with Cat 10.2s and the GPU temp is a nice balmy 35 C, with no manual fan control.

Edit to add: XFX seems to constantly have teething problems with ATI cards. I would advise anyone contemplating XFX to wait a few months till BIOS updates come out before snagging a card.

This is a driver issue with multiple displays and/or 120hz monitors and not specific to XFX AFAIK

I am completely happy with my purchase

1 - 16 of 16 Posts