Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently was updating my computer with Windows updates and the fan started making this noise. While I have had little rattling and loose fan sounds in the past it was nothing loud enough to annoy me. This card is only a couple months old and the motor seems like its dieing. I uploaded a vid to show what the sound actually sounds like. It doesn't sound normal at all and it only starts after the fan speed is increased past 25%.

To add on to that, I have done no modifications or overclocking to the card whatsoever. The card is running stock and after reading some posts about other 5870`s 54 idle temp is quite high compared to what others are getting (30-40). My drivers are up to date and so is everything else in my computer.

The computer runs fine with the card installed and I can still play games and browse the net. However the fan noise and the high gpu heat is the problem. This loose fan noise is loud if not louder than when the gpu fan speed is at 100%

Just to add on, this is a reference XXX model of the 5870. I opened a RMA support ticket but I'm second guessing on whether I should RMA it or not. I'm afraid XFX will send me back a non-reference version.

Anyone have any advice on what I should do?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
0%?

Edit: Perhaps I should just invest in a aftermarket cooler like a ZALMAN VF3000A, Accelero XTREME 5870, or T-Rad2 GTX

·
Registered
49 Posts
After some cleaning I did to my XFX 5870 (Reference design, yadda yadda yadda) I got the same annoying -fudging- noise. What I did to solve this was something simple:

- Put the fan to 100% speed for some minutes
- Stop

Annoying noise: GONE!

I'm assuming the fan's bearing self-adjusted or something after that stress load to it.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nishi-kun
View Post

After some cleaning I did to my XFX 5870 (Reference design, yadda yadda yadda) I got the same annoying -fudging- noise. What I did to solve this was something simple:

- Put the fan to 100% speed for some minutes
- Stop

Annoying noise: GONE!

I'm assuming the fan's bearing self-adjusted or something after that stress load to it.

I've tried this as well. Doesn't seem to help except decrease the fan's lifespan.

·
Man with Fans
7,746 Posts
Sounds like it's rubbing up.

These fans usually have a Ball Bearing, so I don't believe they wear that fast.

Rattling though, is a word that is usually used to describe the sound that worn-out sleeve bearing fans make.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Volvo
View Post

Sounds like it's rubbing up.

These fans usually have a Ball Bearing, so I don't believe they wear that fast.

Rattling though, is a word that is usually used to describe the sound that worn-out sleeve bearing fans make.

Well I just pulled the trigger on a Accelero Xtreme 5870. The fan isn't making that noise anymore however who knows when it's going to come back.

I'm just going to use the aftermarket one and keep the stock as a spare.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
You could always RMA it?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

Originally Posted by pangeltveit View Post
You could always RMA it?
That's true but I don't want to get a non-reference card back, I want to keep my Volterra chip for overclocking purposes.

·
No.2 in Gaming
1,936 Posts
hello,
i have the same problem.i crashed out on the sofa left my pc running,the pc went to sleep, which i dont know how to wake ,i just restart and my xfx 5870 is sounding excatly the same as that,odd.
i think rma s not going to solve this problem just postpone the same problem.what can we do?
thx for making me fell not alone here.
i was thinking it might be my cheap power supply failing,but your psu is a good brand so thats not it.thing is also this week i have lost 4gb of ram ,the ram corupted and needs rma-ing too.
what is going on with my pc?

·
Registered
298 Posts
open the 5870 cover and see if its hitting up against anything. That sounds like its scratching upon something. Really ugly sound, you can rma and ensure them to send you back a ref version. That is what u paid for after all. =P

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ended up opting to just buying an aftermarket cooler. I got the Acclero extreme 5870.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So far its:

Idle: 40C
Load: 56C (Furmark 2 mins)

Anyone have any suggestions to truly test the cooler out?

·
Registered
737 Posts
I have 3 of the XFX 5870's and one of them started making the same type noise. I couldnt figure it out for alittle while. Then I just manually with my hand stopped each fan in my tower. It came down to the three cards.
I finally narrowed it down to one card. To me it seems as if the bearings are going bad. I contacted XFX and now have mine in the process for RMA.
I personally think yours is doing the same. The fan bearings are going out.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
True I took apart the old fan and checked it out. It seemed fine when I blew it with a can of air but it's w/e. Anyways My VRM temps are a little on the high side as some members have already posted. I'm guessing this is normal? Or should I invest in some good VRM R4 coolers.

Idle

Load:

·
Premium Member
5,986 Posts
That's pretty much normal for the stock cooler.

·
PC Enthusiast
3,510 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMOEDADDY
View Post

I have 3 of the XFX 5870's and one of them started making the same type noise. I couldnt figure it out for alittle while. Then I just manually with my hand stopped each fan in my tower. It came down to the three cards.
I finally narrowed it down to one card. To me it seems as if the bearings are going bad. I contacted XFX and now have mine in the process for RMA.
I personally think yours is doing the same. The fan bearings are going out.

May god have mercy on your soul, because you are in for a wild ride!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts