Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
no dont get that thing 8pipelines(if thats what u meant by 8pp) sucks, ive got the 6800 gs oc to ultra with 16pl 6vshaders and it still cant play newer games to descently, so a lower grade with only 8 would totaly suck

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prestontrogden
View Post

no dont get that thing 8pipelines(if thats what u meant by 8pp) sucks, ive got the 6800 gs oc to ultra with 16pl 6vshaders and it still cant play newer games to descently, so a lower grade with only 8 would totaly suck

8PP doesnt always suck...Depends how many Raster pipes your card has got.

The X1600XT technically only has 4 Pipelines but more raster pipes tan most...Therefor performs just as wel.

Sorry about that..Check this out :http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814103004

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i wanna stay with Nvidia cuz they have done good 4 me & never fail on me "YET" so ill stick with em & newegg also.ill keep searching for a betta card on newegg,thx 4 the help.

Edit:i jus saw your edit Enterprise but its ATI,it seems like it has no good card in my budget thats Nvidia,Jeez ill gotta go up higher i guess jus to get a GS maybe,am so damn poor.

·
Premium Member
3,697 Posts
Here is a more detailed overview of graphics card performance and the technologies and terminologies explained very well.

In particular:

Quote:

Important information
Today it’s in my opinion a bit obsolete to talk about “pixel pipelines†when talking about the latest generation of video cards (R5XX and G7X). This is why I have decided to include: pixel shader units, TMUs, ROPs (z compare units are a part of a ROP) and vertex shader units.

â€A Pixel shader unit calculates different effects for a displayed pixel to create realistic materials and surfaces. In general one could say that the more pixel shader units exists the better the performance would be. Not all games uses the same amount of shaders, therefore the performance will fluctuate between themâ€

â€The most basic explanation of the fuction of a Texture Mapping Unit (TMU) is that it uses a 2D-image to “clothe†a 3D figure.

â€A Render Output Unit or Raster Operations Pipeline (ROP) is one of the final steps in producing the final result. The ROP takes care of the transformation of information stored in the GPUs memory into pixels which are displayed on a monitor. The basic task for a ROP is: AA, blending (just explained) and z-buffer de-/compression.â€

â€The basic task for a vertex shader unit is to control the behaviour and appearance of the corners to the triangles which 3D-objects are build uponâ€

â€Unified shader unit (called â€stream processor†by nVidia) can do pixel, vertex and with time geometry (a DX10 feature) shading.â€

Source: http://www.futuremark.com/forum/showthread.php?t=164

With regards to performance I would go for a 6800GT as a minimum if you wish to play games on at least medium settings @ 1280x1024

The 7600GT would be a good choice as the others have suggested.

Hope that helps

·
Banned
1,210 Posts
contrarary to what i have posted before my card does extremely well in fear, 1024x768 evertthing maxed except AAx2 trilinear no softshadows med. texture res. i can turn up text res and off AA and get nice frames so 6800 isnt a bad card runs most games well. ran oblivion quite well too

·
Administrator
64,361 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaRaDoX
View Post

6600GT > 6800 and 6800XT

6800XT wont run fear on med settings at a playable framerate

If you ask me they are $70 overpriced

here man just get a 7600GS 12pp and 5vp's

it has 12 TMU's 8 ROP's and 16 Z Compare Units

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150190

I Agree with the above statement.

·
Premium Member
3,947 Posts
My friend has a 6800XT AGP. Its garbage. A 7600GS, or an older 6800GS would be a much better choice.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
7600GS runs @ 400/533mhz & reads @ 400/266mhz yes i kno its double but thats not worth it to me & its 128-bit.the best card i see i can get thats AGP is the X850 Pro i think it is & its radeon,ahhh man i get nervous when it comes to radeon cards & am nervous free with Nvidia cards.
Am realy lookin for a card thats 256-bit 256mb,DDR2-3,& atleast 375-800 or 400-1000,y did they had to create PCIe damnit lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts