Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my board, I noticed an unused 4-pin molex connector that I haven't used since building this machine. The manual says its "Auxiliary Power for Graphics". I'm now wondering - if I connect the power source to that connector if anything will happen? Also wondering if connecting that will stop the clicking I hear from my PSU.

I already put in a ticket with the manufacturer some time ago with no response.

·
Premium Member
36,139 Posts
That clicking doesn't sould like it's a PSU, it's possibly a HDD

But that Aux Power connector is for GPU's in SLi that don't have external (6pin or 8pin) power connectors on them. They take power from the Mobo, so when you have them in SLi or Crossfire, you need to have a PSU cable plugged in their.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That click noise happened from when I first built the machine. The source is definately the PSU when anything graphics intensive goes on (like moving my mouse over a transparent object. Replaced the PSU and the GFX and still get the same clicking. I thought it might be due to too much power not being used.

At least now I know what that extra connector on the board is - thanks.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope. I bought zip ties and secured cables at least 3cm/2 inches away from all fans and still the same issue. The clicking noise in the PSU does not happen until some type of transparent/3d processing of graphics happens.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts