Overclock.net banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the shroud on my xfx 6970 fell almost completely off. The card still works just fine other than the fan side of the shroud is no longer attached completely. Think XFX would RMA? or send back for physical damage? t was through no fault of my own, I was literally sitting here playing some games and II hear a horrible noise coming from the PC. I shut down and take the side panel off to find my card laying in two pieces. Hoping the shroud is covered under the warranty.

·
Watercooler
3,649 Posts
Jesus XFX needs to start making quality hardware. Pictures? I would love to see the mess they made.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They emailed me back today they did not sound very happy about the condition of the card. First they said "the only way it could have come apart like this is if you improperly disassembled it." Then he went on to complain about the amount of dust in the card saying it was "disgusting" which is complete non-sense. clean out my case and components on a weekly basis! However this is where XFX made there mistake. I asked the rep how could there be a "disgusting" amount of dust inside the shroud of the card if I had improperly taken it off? The amount of dust in the card implies the shroud has never been taken off. He then replied saying it would take a few more days to "service" whatever that means. I will ask xfx to email me the pics they took when they received the card. If they do I will post them I however did not take any of my own before sending in.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
sounds like Asus RMA.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well guys its been quite a while since IK posted in this thread but guess what!? My new shroud XFX sent me has already fallen off the card! go ******* figure. So I took the shroud completl off ajust to see what sort of temps I'd get. Way to high. 60C on the desktop 85C in furmark in under 30 seconds. so...unsure what to do here I mean the temps without the shroud directing airflow are not acceptable however the shroud will not stay on. What should I do!?

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
explain to them just what happened, but it will take more time cause you might have to send the card back again.
Can you post photos for us? im very curious as to how that happened

You could also look for an aftermarket gpu cooler if you wanna avoid the hassle of rma again.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,221 Posts
XFX where a good compnay note as in past sense they aren't anymore

·
Registered
2,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by timaishu View Post

Why not just super glue it back on?
It'd void the warranty if he'd mess with it most likely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts