Overclock.net banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi guys,

probably going to be overclocking my 7800gt and was looking at 2 coolers for it:

Zalman VF700 and Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Revision 3

ive seen some great reviews for both and am torn between the two. any recommendations? ive already decided to go with the Thermaltake Big Typhoon for my CPU and was hoping i could find a place that had both to save on shipping. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

hi guys,

probably going to be overclocking my 7800gt and was looking at 2 coolers for it:

Zalman VF700 and Arctic Cooling NV Silencer 5 Revision 3

ive seen some great reviews for both and am torn between the two. any recommendations? ive already decided to go with the Thermaltake Big Typhoon for my CPU and was hoping i could find a place that had both to save on shipping. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

My vote is for the Zalman as i've used this before watercooling and got great temps with it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks. unfortunately, i cant afford water cooling so im stuck with air cooling for now. interested to know what your temps are on that opteron u got


1 vote for zalman so far.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,485 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

thanks. unfortunately, i cant afford water cooling so im stuck with air cooling for now. interested to know what your temps are on that opteron u got


1 vote for zalman so far.

zalman all the way - I dropped 10C off my x850xt
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, what is the difference between rev 2 and 3 for the Arctic Cooling AVC-NV3R2 NV Silencer 3 besides a price difference?

oooh....2 for zalman. i see a zalman Cu and AlCu. which is cooler? im guessin the all copper one?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,072 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

thanks. unfortunately, i cant afford water cooling so im stuck with air cooling for now. interested to know what your temps are on that opteron u got


1 vote for zalman so far.

On my 146 the temps were only about 5°C lower than on an XP-90c ~35°C.
On the 165 I can run 1.6 vcore and still keep it under 40°C. Definitely get better results from hotter CPUs.

Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

i see a zalman Cu and AlCu. which is cooler? im guessin the all copper one?

I'd go with the copper Zalman as well, although there's very little between the two.
 

·
Old Timer
Joined
·
4,895 Posts
I also vote Zalman. I have one on mine and it works great on low-speed. MUCH quieter then the stock cooler!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
356 Posts
I have the arctic cooler and it is literally silent, but it wasnt all that i had hoped for, so i will have to say zalman (i have the gtx though, i dunno how it will work on gt)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
490 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by blazin-asian

ok, what is the difference between rev 2 and 3 for the Arctic Cooling AVC-NV3R2 NV Silencer 3 besides a price difference?

oooh....2 for zalman. i see a zalman Cu and AlCu. which is cooler? im guessin the all copper one?

Rev. 3 is designed to fit 7series cards. Although I haven't had an experience with VGA zalman's, I love my Arctic Cooler. Mainly for the fact it blows the hot air out of your system instead of just away from the GPU.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ok, i think im gonna get the Zalman 700Cu. i like how it mounts over the GPU and there are the little heatsinks for the memory. thanks for the input everyone!
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top