Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just set up my new system and I have two XFX HD7970 Black Edition cards setup in crossfire. I have horrendous artifacting in BF3 (no other games installed yet) and when I try it with one card, I still get artifacts and weird texture problems. I ran afterburner and GPU-Z in the background while I played BF3 in 2560x1440 and 1920x1080 and the results are rather odd. It says I used all 3072 MB of memory in 1920x1080 in ultra, but when I go to 2560x1440 it says I used over 3700 MB of memory. Anyone else have odd problems like this? Is this texture/artifacting issue a driver problem, or do I have two bad cards on my hands? It's rather frustrating that this system is less than 48 hours old and I already have a major problem.

I attached the GPU-Z sensor log if anyone is curious what i'm talking about.

GPU-Z Sensor Log.txt 181k .txt file

Attachments

·
What should be here ?
6,042 Posts
Have you overclocked the cards ? If so, have you stressed it for stability ? The XFX Double D cards are known for having such problems so this might be tricky to troubleshoot. Can you return the cards if possible

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, no overclock at all. Just pulled them out of the box last night. I'm using the newest non-beta drivers, but given the dozens of other issues I have just read about, it seems like the 7970 just has......problems.

·
OC...D
28,198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rattlerskin View Post

No, no overclock at all. Just pulled them out of the box last night. I'm using the newest non-beta drivers, but given the dozens of other issues I have just read about, it seems like the 7970 just has......problems.
Nah - I have two in crossfire and they work great at stock or OCd. It's a new rig right? Z77? Try uninstalling 13.1, or the 13.2beta you are using. Disable the on-board graphics (you can always enable it later once you figure this out) Clean up with ATIman or driversweeper. Try to find a copy of 12.11beta11 and load that.

Two things - 13.1 seems to have an HD audio driver issue that may F things up, and double check that you have the cards fully seated.

Don't give up yet.

·
OC...D
28,198 Posts
Quote:

Ok, going to try a re-install of the 13.1 first. iGPU is disabled already, so that's not the culprit.
So, what happened?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Please benchmark both cards individually. You said you had artifact problems problems on a single card - there's your problem. Its not X-fire thats an issue, its that card.
Try to run OCCT/Furmark and Unigine on it. If you see any artifacting while running the tests then please take it back to the store.
Also try with a different (preferably - higher wattage) PSU just to isolate the issue.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I worked through some of the issues this weekend and found that the solution posted by jpmboy worked for me. The 12.11 drivers no longer give the issue, at least for the time being, and it looks like the memory issue was resolved. I'm going to try a few more tests, but it looks like 13.1 just doesn't work well.

·
OC...D
28,198 Posts
Quote:

I worked through some of the issues this weekend and found that the solution posted by jpmboy worked for me. The 12.11 drivers no longer give the issue, at least for the time being, and it looks like the memory issue was resolved. I'm going to try a few more tests, but it looks like 13.1 just doesn't work well.
Cool. Can you verify that they are crossfiring. Download a copy of Unigene valley bench (or heaven 4) and post results.

·
Optics Fiend
4,856 Posts
Quote:

Had to RMA my 7970 from XFX it was running at the wrong clock speeds from the get go. I agree it seems overall the 7970 just has problems, despite XFX not having the most stellar reputation other than their customer service which in all honesty is pretty good. Customer reviews for the 7970 seem all over the place with every manufacturer, i know this doesn't constitute the majority of 7970s as not everyone writes reviews but i do find it strange.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So far, I am running the proper 1,000 MHz on both cards, so all is well. I had a bad experience with my sapphire 6950s but I just liked the performance and VRAM of these 7970s, so I got suckered into ATI again. I hope this was just a glitch, but I still have about 25 days to return/exchange at newegg is all else fails.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Seems to me like XFX has some bucking up to do. I haven't seen these many problems with Sapphire, Gigabyte and Asus.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Alright, had a lockup again last night in BF3. These cards are going back and I'm buying two MSI 680 Lightnings. I'll sacrifice some VRAM for stability. Shouldn't be any issues running 1440p in those cards.

Ain't nobody got no time fo' dat.

·
What should be here ?
6,042 Posts
Well if you sure want to return them go ahead, but going for the 680, you won't only sacrifice the VRAM but also, bandwidth. Do appraise the one's from Sapphire, as they are really good with least to no complaints this gen.

·
OC...D
28,198 Posts
Quote:

Alright, had a lockup again last night in BF3. These cards are going back and I'm buying two MSI 680 Lightnings. I'll sacrifice some VRAM for stability. Shouldn't be any issues running 1440p in those cards.

That suks. Enjoy the 680's.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But is the 384 bit bus on the 7970 more effective than the controller efficiency on the 680 despite the smaller 256 bit bus?

·
Banned
1,262 Posts
Quote:

had a single 680.. now a gigabyte 7970; great move btw, the 7970 is faster overall in practically everything i run..

oh btw: xfx = crap

and i returned a evga 680 wich gave me A LOT of troubles (driver related).. so both brands are the same crap in the end, when they want to fck with you they will.. hard plain and simple

·
Banned
21,557 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Cerberus View Post

Seems to me like XFX has some bucking up to do. I haven't seen these problems with Sapphire, Gigabyte and Asus. I will recommend people to stay away from XFX after seeing so many issues in this forum
doh.gif

They all have problems.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts