Overclock.net banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there.
First thread on this forum, and I'm sorry to have started with such a minute question that may've already been answered;
But how do I get my GPU to run cooler?
I used to run Battlefield 3 on ULTRA settings w/ FXAA injector, and it ran fine providing me with frame rates of +/- 80FPS.
After the latest patch this has become impossible, and the game will not play for more than 15 minutes without either losing
graphics processing signal, or crashing my rig all together.

Specs:

HP 510-E Case ( I know that pre-built is never good for gaming, but the processor/memory was an attractive deal for just $800. )
HP Mobo
AMD Phenom II X6 2.8 gHz
AMD XFX HD6870 1 GB DDR5.
8GB DDR3 Ram (4 sticks.)
Old LG Flatron 17" LCD Monitor. (75Hz Refresh FTW)

Any and all help provided will be considered at length.
Thank you.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Well, May I suggest checking the fan / heatsink for dust blockage? I've had computers do that to me. If not, Try running the PC with a side panel off and an external fan blowing in it. I don't recommend this, But if there is no dust blockage... I'm at a loss. That's generally what I check for first... Also, Try updating any drivers for your hardware.

What OS are you running? How does the system run under normal conditions?

·
Registered
320 Posts
revert to the previous patch you were ok gaming with.
sometimes the latest patches dont always live up to the build they were designed for...thats just how it is. Waterver patch you got im sure the developer will produce more point o's for it because they messed something up or maybe it just conflicts on how you have your rig setup but watever the prob. something will be included when another update becomes available.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@ M. Dan -
Yeah, I tried the 'Box Fan Thing' and it didn't help all that much.
Installed 2 higher speed fans this morning, one replacing my system fan, and one that I screwed to the case.
And an exhaust fan that I installed last night.

I'm running Win 7 x64, and at Idle, the card stays below 60' C.

@ Blueborsh -
I rolled it back to the driver that XFX shipped w/ the card, and it's too far back to run BF3.
(Because **** corporate marketing deals.)
I'm presently running AMD's Catalyst 11.7 because that's the earliest BF3 seems to run on.

At this point, I've totally given up software tinkering, and bought a tube of Arctic Silver 5.
The card's past warranty, so I'm just gonna take the thing apart, and replace the thermal paste.

Your feedback is appreciated guys. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts