Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all...i was just wondering what everyones take is on XFX secondary company for ATI cards...i have previously only bought 2 sapphire cards before and have had nothing wrong with them...but am contemplating an upgrade to hd5970 probably soon...

is XFX the best company to choose because it has lifetime warrenty on its cards? so as long as i own the card i will have continous warrenty? also has transferable warrenty to someone else if card is sold...is this a good enough reason to buy from them?

·
Registered
2,632 Posts
if u really think youre going to sell it later in the future, then i would say its a good buy, because of the warrantys are pretty good.
but lots of ppl hate xfx also because i heard they were making crappy 4890's a while back.
i doubt they do that anymore though,...maybe

·
Registered
3,965 Posts
XFX has a great warranty and people usually buy their cards just for that, but they have been known to cut corners and have some design flaws in some ATI models such as their 4870 with the egg cooler, their 4890, a 5770, and a 5870. Others too but im not sure which exactly.

·
Old school
14,411 Posts
It may just be personal preference but I'd take a Sapphire, Asus or MSI card over an XFX.

XFX has been cheaping out on a couple of cards so I don't consider them unless they are very well priced.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackHoleSon
View Post

XFX has a great warranty and people usually buy their cards just for that, but they have been known to cut corners and have some design flaws in some ATI models such as their 4870 with the egg cooler, their 4890, a 5770, and a 5870. Others too but im not sure which exactly.

It shouldn't require much research to find out if the 5970 you are interested in from XFX is on par with other brands

Yes i believe the warranty XFX offers is worth the purchase... first it adds resale value to your card and second its common sense your card is much more likely to sell when your selling it with a lifetime warranty...i can't stand buying and running a GPU or other PC component thats not properly warrantied...i feel like i am running a ticking time bomb you know

I haven't had any problems out of my XFX 9800GT or XFX 4870 or XFX 4890 but i have put research into all of these cards to make sure i didn't receive any of there inferior cost cutting GPU's

Based on my experiences thus far i am a loyal XFX ATI & Nvidia customer

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

It may just be personal preference but I'd take a Sapphire, Asus or MSI card over an XFX.

XFX has been cheaping out on a couple of cards so I don't consider them unless they are very well priced.

I would agree with this but its not hard to put a little research into your purchase thus avoiding there cost cut cards and assure you are going to be buying a reference or similar card from XFX

·
Efficiencycionado
5,587 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acoma_Andy
View Post

this. although you may want to research about the reference models. it's just the non-reference ones that have problems coz of cheaping out on the pcb. you may want to consider their top end models though.

·
Premium Member
10,858 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

this. although you may want to research about the reference models. it's just the non-reference ones that have problems coz of cheaping out on the pcb. you may want to consider their top end models though.

The 4890 was a top end model, but XFX still messed it up
Who's to say they won't do it again?

Anyway, XFX is trash. Even if you buy a 5970, the software XFX provided to overclock the card didn't work in 64 bit Windows (I'm not sure if this has changed since launch). I think the majority of users spending $600/$700+ on a GPU are going to be on a 64 bit OS.

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,541 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gerikoh
View Post

squealing caps are on their whole band of cards.... which make them uninteresting for me.

and yeah they had some serious issues with 4890s 4/4 artifacted that i purchased in december 09. since then i had 3 5870s and 1 out of those was pretty much useless as well... its just annoying if you buy a whole rig and the gpu has to be rma'd due to poor quality control / cheap parts used.

i personally have sapphire at the moment, but would suggest to take a look at the msi models, they seem to be some good overclockers

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
i have 2 XFX 5770's in crossfire...have to say i really like them

·
Registered
715 Posts
The lifetime warranty is great...as long as XFX has the card in stock (which is for about the first 6-9 mo after release.) BUT, if you RMA it after that, they will send you back one of the cheaped-out cards. What's worse, if they don't have the card in stock at all, you're forced to either accept a crappier card, pay ridiculous price for an upgrade, or wait 2 months for them to send the card to factory in China and back.

XFX Warranty is just plain old BS. Check out my thread about it here, and there's plenty more threads like that.

Go with Asus of Sapphire. I've heard folks who got upgraded to 5970 when their 4870x2 broke and Asus had no in stock. XFX in such a case would probably stuff you with a 5850, or 5870 if you're lucky.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks for your input guys...i think ill probably stay with sapphire then...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts