Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am looking at upgrading my AGP system to the new 7800GS card. From what I understand these cards beat ATI's X850XT PE? Is that true?

I have read many reviews and it looks as if XFX and BFG are the two companies to get them from. Which is the better one and why?

I had read that the BFG comes OC at 400/1250 and the XFX comes OC at 440/1300. Is this true. One review said the XFX fan was loud.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Price is not a factor. Just want the best one. Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Those r two great grapic card companies, XFX cards OC quite well as do the BFG, BFG cards are usually more expensive b/c they come with lifetime warranties

·
Registered
3,792 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by KANJIBANKERS

Hi, I am looking at upgrading my AGP system to the new 7800GS card. From what I understand these cards beat ATI's X850XT PE? Is that true?

I have read many reviews and it looks as if XFX and BFG are the two companies to get them from. Which is the better one and why?

I had read that the BFG comes OC at 400/1250 and the XFX comes OC at 440/1300. Is this true. One review said the XFX fan was loud.

Advice would be greatly appreciated.

Price is not a factor. Just want the best one. Thanks!!!

Actually it is almost the same to the x850xt PE but it maybe be better in benchmarks.....just look up the benchmarks from sites

and as for company, XFX is good...because they have a long warrenty, BFG is declining in their reputation because their warrenty isnt as lopng as XFX or eVGA

i would say go for Evga because they have a double lifetime warrenty, like say you sell it to someone then theyll still have the warrenty and they have a step-up program

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by el7145

Those r two great grapic card companies, XFX cards OC quite well as do the BFG, BFG cards are usually more expensive b/c they come with lifetime warranties

BFGs are more expensive because they come factory OCed.

And as far as which card, I'd say save your cash and switch to PCIe... but if you really need to stay AGP, I'd say go with the XFX. The BFG's not worth the extra cash.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I do know that the 7800GS Overclocks extremely well, I didnt know that about eVGA, thats great

·
Premium Member
4,460 Posts
I would not recommend BFG these days, they have had some very bad Q/C the last few weeks. We have had several un opened box's where the hsf and hs have fallen off. Id suggest eVga, they are about the best nVidia based cards out atm.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Orange

Actually it is almost the same to the x850xt PE but it maybe be better in benchmarks.....just look up the benchmarks from sites

and as for company, XFX is good...because they have a long warrenty, BFG is declining in their reputation because their warrenty isnt as lopng as XFX or eVGA

i would say go for Evga because they have a double lifetime warrenty, like say you sell it to someone then theyll still have the warrenty and they have a step-up program

actually better over all, the x8x0 serires dont have hardware support for ps.3.0 or vs3.0, so either way the 7800gs is better

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

BFGs are more expensive because they come factory OCed.

And as far as which card, I'd say save your cash and switch to PCIe... but if you really need to stay AGP, I'd say go with the XFX. The BFG's not worth the extra cash.

Im a layman when it comes to some of this stuff, but how would it be cheaper to switch to Pcie? I would need a new MOB, Video card and processor right?

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pjlietz

I would not recommend BFG these days, they have had some very bad Q/C the last few weeks. We have had several un opened box's where the hsf and hs have fallen off. Id suggest eVga, they are about the best nVidia based cards out atm.

Agreed. The eVga cards looks the best out of the rest.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
evga or xfx... and dont waste your money on getting an OCed version, because it just costs more money and you can do it yourself...for free..

·
Premium Member
10,811 Posts
What is your set-up? If you have a newer Athlon 64 or P4, all you'd need was a new mobo and video card. And if you don't, your money would be better spent upgrading your CPU, as it would bottleneck your GPU anyway.
The final decsion is up to you, but if you want future upgrade-ability, going PCIe would be the way to go.

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
ok everyone says get a PCI-e card... but he only has an agp slot on his mobo, so that would require buying a new motherboard... let say that will cost ~120$, the the pci-e card for say $250... thats $370 but if would just buy the agp card it would be $300... why spend the extra money for no performance increase?

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Namrac

What is your set-up? If you have a newer Athlon 64 or P4, all you'd need was a new mobo and video card. And if you don't, your money would be better spent upgrading your CPU, as it would bottleneck your GPU anyway.
The final decsion is up to you, but if you want future upgrade-ability, going PCIe would be the way to go.

I have a P4 478 chipset at 3.4mhz. Is that something to keep and still upgrade to PCI express?

With this MOB? I hear this is the top dog right now.

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...er+Motherboard

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
That one doesn't support your CPU and infact I don't see any on newegg that are s478 and PCIe X16 so I would personally wait until you could get a new CPU/MOBO and a PCIe GPU but if you must get a new AGP card get the XFX 7800 GS.

·
Premium Member
891 Posts
where can you get one? i google searched it and checked newegg and couldn't find it

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Quote:

I have a P4 478 chipset at 3.4mhz. Is that something to keep and still upgrade to PCI express?

With this MOB? I hear this is the top dog right now.

http://www.newegg.com/product/Produc...er+Motherboard

if you have the money to upgrade the mobo,cpu,gpu,and memory, then yes thats a sweet upgrade, but i think the socked 478 cpu will still last a year or two and you can just upgrade you gpu, then save up some money for a yr or 2 down the road and bust out a top of the line system...

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
This is the only socket 478 mobo that supports PCI-e that i have ever seen... but i have no clue if it is still for sale... personally i dont think its worth it though, stick with you cpu and just upgrade the gpu....

·
Banned
1,131 Posts
Quote:

Im a layman when it comes to some of this stuff, but how would it be cheaper to switch to Pcie? I would need a new MOB, Video card and processor right?

depends on ur socket and so on... you probably dont have to switch a cpu if u just buy a mobo with the same socket and a pci-e card.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts