Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When playing BFBC2, with AMD Overdrive off, my card is hitting nearly 80 degrees C and the fan never seems to go above 33% speed. Is this normal? I seem to be having some random artifacts and a couple game crashes, and I am thinking it may be temperature related. I can bring the temps down by turning on Overdrive and running the fan at a manual 50%, just wasn't sure if others were seeing these kinds of temps.

·
Registered
351 Posts
I'd say the card isn't working right if it tops off at 33% fan speed. Try making sure you've got updated drivers. See if you can find anyone else on the interwebs with the same problem - if not, just bring up the fan speed whenever you're gaming.

Good luck

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by frizkie;14175721
I'd say the card isn't working right if it tops off at 33% fan speed. Try making sure you've got updated drivers. See if you can find anyone else on the interwebs with the same problem - if not, just bring up the fan speed whenever you're gaming.

Good luck
No, it's normal. 6870 fan ramp is like that.

it's a touch high, but still in safe threshold.

run Msi afterburner and make a fan ramp if you don't like it.

·
Registered
743 Posts
My 5870 is the same. The stock fan profiles are garbage, probably to reduce noise. What you need is a custom fan profile. I think MSI Afterburner can do this.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It crashed once last night, but looking at some stuff online there was an older version of Punkbuster that caused issues with apps like Afterburner that were reading hardware-level stuff off the cards. I only had one crash last night, but after I quit out of Afterburner it didn't seem to do it any more. I installed a PB update, as well (mine was out of date somehow).

I haven't had any issues with any other games (most demanding probably being Resident Evil 5, Bulletstorm, Dirt 2), just Bad Company 2. I think it may not be heat related (though I did setup a profile in Afterburner because 83 C just seems a bit high to me, with the new profile of fan running around 45-50% at 60 C keeps it around 60-65 C).

·
Registered
30 Posts
My card tops out at around 80-84 C while playing Crysis 2. According to MSI AB the fan tops out at around 34% with an increase of 6% I see a drop of 3-5 C. However, there may be slight increase or decrease depending on room temperature.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts