1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Time for another information thread and this time i want to talk about XFX

Phaedrus did talk about XFX 3 years ago but alot has happend since

His old thread can be found here http://www.overclock.net/t/699203/on-xfx

Anyway before i move on i will say something and that is XFX naming scheme is messed up!

Some models has had name changes so no one can really figure out what is what

Enough talk lets start and first of is the non modular 80 plus bronze XFX units which are modified Seasonic S12II units

These are know best as the Core Edition but also as the Pro series as well as the TS series

Reviews

Next up is the semi modular XFX units these are semi modular 80 plus bronze and silver units based on the Seasonic M12II

These are know best as the XXX Edition but also as the Black Edition and the Pro Series

Reviews

Next ones are the fully modular 80 plus gold and platinum units these are based on the Seasonic KM3 platform

These are know as the Black Edition Full Modular and Black Edition Limited but also as the Pro series

Reviews

Next is the XFX TS (gold rated) series this is a rebranded Seasonic S12G which again is a non modular version of the good old Seasonic G

Wattage is 430 / 550 / 650 and 750 watts

Next is the XFX XTR

The 550 / 650 and 750 watts are a modified and improved Seasonic G, by modified and improved i mean its been made fully modular and have an on/off bottom for a hybrid fan mode added

The 850 and 1050 watts XFX XTR units are Seasonic KM3 based units like the older Black Edition series was.

Next is the XFX XTS series which is a fully modular 80 plus platinum rated series made by Seasonic

The 460 and 520 watts are based on the Seasonic FL2 platform and the 1000 watts is based in the Seasonic XP3 platform

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v62), quality = 90

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejahboi View Post

Nice thread! I actually own the XFX Pro Series 1000W Black Edition (exact original one reviewed on Jonnyguru's site lol). Anyways its great PSU, and Oklahoma's review on the PSU is spot on.
Same KM3 platform as Seasonic use for the X and Platinum

The Cooler Master V also uses the KM3

I got many more threads like these you can find a link under my sig if you want to look at the others

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,996 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: shilka

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Old C-130 Guy
4,996 Posts
The XFX 850 above made a world of difference in my system.. I can now OC my crossfired 7950's without the system shutting down as with my old PSU. The flat modular cables make for a nice clean install and comes with more of them than I will ever need.

Thanks to Shilka and others for all the help with this and other questions I had leading up to this purchase..

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
shiika you are a legend. Not only do you already help out OCNers with PSU questions left right and centre, you also start up guides for us. +Rep.

I'm getting the XFX 650w Semi-Modular in about a month. From what I've read in the last few months or so it's seems the way to go for me as I want semi modular, and the 650w semi is only a few GBP more here in the UK than the non-modular 650w.

This PSU hasn't got many reported failures, right? Seasonic based, of course, and I haven't seen much complain on it. Shiika you will be my green light to go
biggrin.gif

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0031 View Post

shiika you are a legend. Not only do you already help out OCNers with PSU questions left right and centre, you also start up guides for us. +Rep.

I'm getting the XFX 650w Semi-Modular in about a month. From what I've read in the last few months or so it's seems the way to go for me as I want semi modular, and the 650w semi is only a few GBP more here in the UK than the non-modular 650w.

This PSU hasn't got many reported failures, right? Seasonic based, of course, and I haven't seen much complain on it. Shiika you will be my green light to go
biggrin.gif
I belive the semi modular XFX are Seasonic M12II´s

Not 100% sure on that but the non modular are S12II and the fully modular are KM3´s so logic would say the semi modular are M12II´s

Got many guides done already

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431929/psu-index-thread

Thinking of doing Antec next

·
Pigeon Poop Enthusiast
4,288 Posts
I have a friend who has a ModXstream Pro who had recently purchased a GPU. I go to install the gpu for him and come to find out he tossed all the modular cables when he threw out the PSU box,
doh.gif
Do you guys think XFX will replace them for a small fee or is there any other place I can get replacements for him? My Corsair modular cables actually plug into it but I don't want to risk plugging them into anything.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeeo View Post

I have a friend who has a ModXstream Pro who had recently purchased a GPU. I go to install the gpu for him and come to find out he tossed all the modular cables when he threw out the PSU box,
doh.gif
Do you guys think XFX will replace them for a small fee or is there any other place I can get replacements for him? My Corsair modular cables actually plug into it but I don't want to risk plugging them into anything.
If he has lost the cables there is nothing he can do other then try and talk to OCZ

But the ModXstream Pro is not worth all that trouble he should just ditch it

Its not the worst OCZ PSU but its not very good either and i am very tried of it as i see it a lot and its not very good

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by shilka View Post

I belive the semi modular XFX are Seasonic M12II´s

Not 100% sure on that but the non modular are S12II and the fully modular are KM3´s so logic would say the semi modular are M12II´s

Got many guides done already

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431929/psu-index-thread

Thinking of doing Antec next
Thanks for the quick reply.

On your other thread, you stated the M12 IIs are relatively new? Whereas the semi modular XFX has been around quite some time? I have read the jonny guru reviews quite a few times (actually they were the ones for the non-modular. Internals obviously different).

In case we were on different pages, I am talking about the P1-650X-XXB9. It'd also help if it did come with flat cables (not the 24 pin and 8 pin) as shown in their pictures.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Thanks for the quick reply.

On your other thread, you stated the M12 IIs are relatively new? Whereas the semi modular XFX has been around quite some time? I have read the jonny guru reviews quite a few times (actually they were the ones for the non-modular. Internals obviously different).

In case we were on different pages, I am talking about the P1-650X-XXB9. It'd also help if it did come with flat cables (not the 24 pin and 8 pin) as shown in their pictures.
No the semi modular M12II are a bit old now but there is a brand new version of it that is fully modular

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431930/seasonic-m12-ii-bronze-evo-edition-gm2-and-am2
http://www.overclock.net/t/1437539/seasonic-power-supplies-information-thread/10#post_21083459

Maybe XFX and others will pick this platform up later

·
Pigeon Poop Enthusiast
4,288 Posts
Quote:

If he has lost the cables there is nothing he can do other then try and talk to OCZ

But the ModXstream Pro is not worth all that trouble he should just ditch it

Its not the worst OCZ PSU but its not very good either and i am very tried of it as i see it a lot and its not very good
Ugh, sorry about that. Could have sworn it was XFX branded. It was just a budget PSU he purchased on a whim. I'd have directed him to something of better quality if he had asked me since I'd have asked you guys for a recommendation.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wholeeo View Post

Ugh, sorry about that. Could have sworn it was XFX branded. It was just a budget PSU he purchased on a whim. I'd have directed him to something of better quality if he had asked me since I'd have asked you guys for a recommendation.
The OCZ ZT is a pretty good fully modular PSU that wont break the bank

The new Seasonic M12 II Bronze Evo Edition will be in the same price range (i think?)

The NZXT HALE 82 V2 is a huge disappointment i had high hopes for it but now i wont tell anyone to buy it

Have high hopes for the new OCZ Fatal1ty models (better not disappoint me there OCZ!)

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
XFX TS and XTR has been added

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Installed my Pro650w 3 days ago...
thumb.gif

Thanks for posting

How do you like it so far?

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Quote:

Thanks for posting

How do you like it so far?
It feels solid, and most likely because when compared to my old PSU. Looks and feels different. Heavier (?)

I haven't had time to monitor it much but it would seem the fan does spin up when under load in my current set up. But it is in no way annoying, and it is just fan sound. I would have mistaken it for my GPU fan if I didn't turn everything else down to test. Even then, it is NOT loud.

The semi-modularity is great too. Now I can't imagine if I got a non-modular one. The flat cables that are black and NOT rainbow colours are also a great addition.
thumb.gif

·
Registered
274 Posts
Quote:

Installed my Pro650w 3 days ago...
thumb.gif

How quiet is the unit and easy to cable. Looking for modular psu for this build that I want to run silent if possible:

i5-4440
Be Quiet SHADOW ROCK 2
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
Kingston Black Series 8GB
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Western Digital Green 4TB 3.5"
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7
(Will likely add another hdd and maybe a graphics card, 7850/7870 or equiv)

Was considering the rm 550 until I came across shilka's posts, amongst others, advising against.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstrmind5 View Post

How quiet is the unit and easy to cable. Looking for modular psu for this build that I want to run silent if possible:

i5-4440
Be Quiet SHADOW ROCK 2
Gigabyte GA-H87-HD3
Kingston Black Series 8GB
Samsung 840 EVO 120GB
Western Digital Green 4TB 3.5"
Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl)
Lite-On iHAS124-04 DVD/CD Writer
Microsoft Windows 7
(Will likely add another hdd and maybe a graphics card, 7850/7870 or equiv)

Was considering the rm 550 until I came across shilka's posts, amongst others, advising against.
Be Quiet Dark Power Pro is probably the most quiet you can find

Cooler Master V550S is also pretty quiet

All you need for a 7850/70 is a 450 watts PSU so the V450S

1 - 20 of 115 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.