Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I just tried inserting an XFX R9 390 GPU into my PC (previously using a GTX 980) but when trying to insert it, it just wont go into the PCI-E slot. Specifically it seems the left side just wont go in. You can see the rest of my specs in my signature. But what I have tried is, re-installing motherboard, trying different PCI-E slots.

What else could I try? I just do not understand why it wont fit.. My GTX 980 fits fine without issue, so why wont this GPU fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

·
Turtle Rig Fan
2,474 Posts
Hard for us to tell you without any pictures. Maybe you have something jammed between the rear io and the motherboard?

·
Banned
4,627 Posts
Stupid idea but hopefully you didn't leave the plastic cover on the pcie of the card haha. Maybe the pcie tabs of the card that sit between the mobo and the case, check those out maybe youre not getting em in properly.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nevermind, it seems it finally went in, it justed needrd a bit more force than the 980 for some reason :/

·
Registered
21 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizuka View Post

Nevermind, it seems it finally went in, it justed needrd a bit more force than the 980 for some reason :/
Did you upgrade from the 980 to the r9 390? Is it a notable upgrade from what you've seen so far?

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHU View Post

Quote:

Did you upgrade from the 980 to the r9 390? Is it a notable upgrade from what you've seen so far?
You mean downgrade right? The 390 is ~970 perf.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamHU View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jedi Mind Trick View Post

You mean downgrade right? The 390 is ~970 perf.
Lol yea force of habit.
All good! I'm not the OP, but I assume that it shouldn't have been too big of a hit. I can't imagine anything going from playable to unplayable outside of maybe FO4/TW3 (well for me W3 played like garbage on my 390 @ 1440p).

On a side note: I downgraded from a 390 to a 6870, and holy jesus, this card is TERRIBLE.

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Quote:

Just cut the card man
Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy on techpowerup

• Rep+
Reactions: Jedi Mind Trick

·
Programmer
28,680 Posts
Quote:

Hi I just tried inserting an XFX R9 390 GPU into my PC (previously using a GTX 980) but when trying to insert it, it just wont go into the PCI-E slot. Specifically it seems the left side just wont go in. You can see the rest of my specs in my signature. But what I have tried is, re-installing motherboard, trying different PCI-E slots.

What else could I try? I just do not understand why it wont fit.. My GTX 980 fits fine without issue, so why wont this GPU fit?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Sounded like you had a warped IO. The presure will have sorted it to an extend, allowing you to fit the card without any sort of clearence issue.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts