·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As title says good choice or not?

·
Registered
314 Posts
it most definately isnt that 5870 gets better performance and takes a hell of a lot less power

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
Why would you do what when HD 5870 is faster,cooler and uses less power then GTX470. I moved form HD 5850 to GTX470 and in games i play, Crysis,JC2,SC2 HD 5850 as just as good if not faster.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well im wanting to try out the 470 GTX as i have heard good things about it how smooth as stuff it is! Also between the two 5870 and gtx 470 they would be like 10-15 fps in it at the most id say!

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
I did this exact same thing for my second rig and gaming wise I cant tell a diff and now that rig can fold well. I don't regret it at all

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
They're basically exactly the same, performance-wise. If you sell you're hd 5870, they run for about $300 used anyway. You won't make any profit, at all. You'll just move from AMD to nVidia.
Unless you really want an nVidia card for physX or what have you, or you're trying to prepare for the winter by getting a decently hot card, it's really not worth it

·
Registered
156 Posts
side-grade. if you're gonna get a new gpu, might as well either get another 5870 for crossfire or sell the 5870 and step up to a gtx 480.

·
OpenBSD fanatic
3,327 Posts
Unless your intending on folding theres no real difference, near equal performance I would believe but no physx and cuda but if you xfire your 5870 and than get a 8800gt or something for a dedicated physx card it would work great

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will have a sleep on it and decide in the morning = )

Im from uk so i may either find someone to trade with or may sell the card on ebay

·
MEGABYTE ME
2,765 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rchads89
View Post

I will have a sleep on it and decide in the morning = )

Im from uk so i may either find someone to trade with or may sell the card on ebay

I swapped my XFX 5870 XXX strait up on Craigs List for my GTX 470

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
Everyone seems to forget GTX470 runs much hotter which is a big deal. Also eats more power. PhysX is unless because you will need more then just GTX470 to get high fps. Also there is no real use for CUDA but its there.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Captain318
View Post

I swapped my XFX 5870 XXX strait up on Craigs List for my GTX 470

I have a few places in mind. I can't do it here as you need **** loads of rep to sell or trade something. Even though i have hundreds of positive feedback elsewere lol

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er
View Post

Everyone seems to forget GTX470 runs much hotter which is a big deal. Also eats more power. PhysX is unless because you will need more then just GTX470 to get high fps. Also there is no real use for CUDA but its there.

Thanks for your concern about the heat. It's not a problem for me. My cm690II is set out to provide really good cooling around the GPU area.

I have heard gaming with a gtx 470 can be smoother and to be honest ive looked at benchmarks and the 470 sometimes gets one over the 5870 or the 470 drops short by about 10-15fps.

·
PC Evangelist
47,371 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by rchads89
View Post

Thanks for your concern about the heat. It's not a problem for me. My cm690II is set out to provide really good cooling around the GPU area.

I have heard gaming with a gtx 470 can be smoother and to be honest ive looked at benchmarks and the 470 sometimes gets one over the 5870 or the 470 drops short by about 10-15fps.

I am telling you because i had a HD 5850. I have a HAF X which is better then your case for air cooling and at stock the card hit 80C+. HD 5850 hit 60C. Also i did not notice games running any smoother with the GTX470.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I tried this upgrade also. You wont notice a diff and the heat is not a good trade-off. I returned the 470 and got another 5870. Wait and see what the future brings. Newer cards are coming.

·
Registered
915 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I am really tempted to to this trade. I have been offered a good 470 gigabyte model its like new...

Hmmmmm so many people telling me one way or another lol :s

1 - 19 of 19 Posts