Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Ln4xQhILs" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K-Ln4xQhILs</a><br />
<br />
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTR-Zm9zQMA&mode=related&search=" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTR-Z...elated&search=</a>

·
Registered
2,264 Posts
I saw those, Amazing

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
Holy Cow!

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
What is Compiz and what OS is that? (variant)

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
Gentoo on the second one and probably SuSE or Ubuntu on the first.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
The first one is the best. Looked like Beryl and not compiz though, unless Compiz was some sweet new features.<br />
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0ZtcxHUSDQ&mode=related&search=" target="_blank"><br />
sweet video</a>

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
Yea XGL's pretty great.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
winblows can only dream

·
Premium Member
5,573 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>biatchi</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">winblows can only dream</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>If only all games came in Linux flavors....If only...

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>FrankenPC</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">If only all games came in Linux flavors....If only...</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div><br />
tell me about it. as soon as that happens windows will seriously lose its market share and open source goodness will rule the world

·
Premium Member
4,976 Posts
<tr>

<div>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">tell me about it. as soon as that happens windows will seriously lose its market share and open source goodness will rule the world</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Not if it's not publicized.<br />
<br />
But if they made Linux drivers that performed like windows drivers it'd be great.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
<tr>

<div>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">tell me about it. as soon as that happens windows will seriously lose its market share and open source goodness will rule the world</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Yea. Thats some thing i wish would happen.

·
Banned
2,177 Posts
damnit why does cedega have to be pay (can't convince my parents to buy anything online even if it is only 5$) I tooted around with ubuntu XGL and compiz (no beryl unfortunately) and loved it so much just stopped using it cuz vista nocked off my grub bootmenu which then just lead to me reformating that partition for OSX but I'm thinking of trying a new Distro of linux with beryl, anyones that work particularly well with beryl(or come stock with it installed? hopes..) because it was a pain in the ass installing XGL and compiz (i do suck at linux but still....) so anybody up to suggestions of Linux that works well with Beryl and maybe isn't ubuntu (although it could be, Ubuntu was pretty awesome, just looking for a new experience)

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>dex100</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">damnit why does cedega have to be pay (can't convince my parents to buy anything online even if it is only 5$) I tooted around with ubuntu XGL and compiz (no beryl unfortunately) and loved it so much just stopped using it cuz vista nocked off my grub bootmenu which then just lead to me reformating that partition for OSX but I'm thinking of trying a new Distro of linux with beryl, anyones that work particularly well with beryl(or come stock with it installed? hopes..) because it was a pain in the ass installing XGL and compiz (i do suck at linux but still....) so anybody up to suggestions of Linux that works well with Beryl and maybe isn't ubuntu (although it could be, Ubuntu was pretty awesome, just looking for a new experience)</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>I would say Gentoo, but you might struggle with it since you said you sucked at Linux.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>dex100</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">damnit why does cedega have to be pay (can't convince my parents to buy anything online even if it is only 5$) I tooted around with ubuntu XGL and compiz (no beryl unfortunately) and loved it so much just stopped using it cuz vista nocked off my grub bootmenu which then just lead to me reformating that partition for OSX but I'm thinking of trying a new Distro of linux with beryl, anyones that work particularly well with beryl(or come stock with it installed? hopes..) because it was a pain in the ass installing XGL and compiz (i do suck at linux but still....) so anybody up to suggestions of Linux that works well with Beryl and maybe isn't ubuntu (although it could be, Ubuntu was pretty awesome, just looking for a new experience)</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>You can try all of them, it its for the experience. FC, Suse, Mandriva, are all good. Just keep at it and you will eventually learn how to at least "use" Linux, which is what most users of any OS want to do anyways.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>dangerousHobo</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">I would say Gentoo, but you might struggle with it since you said you sucked at Linux.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Gentoo? Why on earth would you recommend Gentoo to some one new to linux?<br />
Interesting wording "might" struggle. "Will struggle and most likely give up" would of been closer to the mark.

·
Premium Member
4,847 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>lightsource</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Not if it's not publicized.<br />
<br />
But if they made Linux drivers that performed like windows drivers it'd be great.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>The problem with that is all in the kernel design. The NT kernel is a microkernel, meaning that all the drivers are kept away from the main kernel its self. Linux on the other hand is a monolith kernel. This means that all of the drivers etc are all loaded on boot. Making it slow and sometimes hard to make things compatible.<br />
<br />
Another major problem is the OpenSource System. Because of the way the OpenSource system works, there just too many different system designs and packaging systems to account for, so the drivers have to be included in the only true universal part of the system, the kernel. This brings us back to problem 1.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>The_Jester</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">The problem with that is all in the kernel design. The NT kernel is a microkernel, meaning that all the drivers are kept away from the main kernel its self. Linux on the other hand is a monolith kernel. This means that all of the drivers etc are all loaded on boot. Making it slow and sometimes hard to make things compatible.<br />
<br />
Another major problem is the OpenSource System. Because of the way the OpenSource system works, there just too many different system designs and packaging systems to account for, so the drivers have to be included in the only true universal part of the system, the kernel. This brings us back to problem 1.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Driver problems with Linux are not that bad now. Getting programs working on the other hand... Big problem. There doesnt seem to really be any easy to use uniform installation method also Binarys dont seem to work on different distros so people have to compile a tonne of different binarys one for every distro. And there is such a insain ammount of distros that it becomes too much effort. Alot of programs dont even work between different versions of the same distro. Like Fedora 4 to fedora 5.

·
Premium Member
3,590 Posts
<tr>

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>MindOfChaos</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Gentoo? Why on earth would you recommend Gentoo to some one new to linux?<br />
Interesting wording "might" struggle. "Will struggle and most likely give up" would of been closer to the mark.</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>Because apparently some people here used it as their first dirsto and had no problems with it, however; I know that wasn't the case for me.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts