Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This may simply be an issue with my particular motherboard (Gigabyte Z77-UD5), but would be interested if others could give it a try.

When XHCI is enabled I notice a large increase in mouse lag. The mouse becomes floaty as if vsync has been enabled. Simply disabling it in bios (you lose USB3) has greatly increased mouse responsiveness.

XHCI enabled - floaty mouse, in-game sensitivity 3 to compensate

XHCI disabled - responsive mouse, in-game sensitivity 4 where it used to be on an old USB2 machine

·
Registered
453 Posts
Don't use your mouse on an USB 3.0 port.
I don't remember where did I read that but they said it wouldn't improve performance, just add issues like the one you are reporting.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the exact same motherboard and I think that I can notice a little less lag when disabling XHCI. So thanks for suggesting that!

I have also been using both the Usb2 and usb3 port. While they feel a little different I can not tell which one is "better".
Is there a way that you can test your mouselag?

·
Registered
573 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My mouse is connected to USB2. I suspect the motherboard is using a single timing chip for both hubs. With USB3 effectively disabled my mouse movements are much more precise.

The lag is so small most people wouldn't even notice it, so I doubt it can be tested effectively.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a little flash game to test it out. Decided that I noticed it enough to just leave XHCI off. If I ever get something that requires usb 3.0 I can just enable it.

I was thinking that the Usb2 ports were on a separate controller considering you can turn it of in the bios.
It's kind of funny how there are a lot of factors that can introduce lag but not a good way to test it.
So I guess it's the same as V-sync, flip-queue, scaling and what have you. If you think that it lags just turn it off.

·
Premium Member
3,437 Posts
My mouse acts funny on USB3, I stick to USB2 for everything that is not specifically a USB3 device, like my external HDD enclosure.
Maybe it's different for other mobos, but on mine the USB3 ports are on a separate controller from the other USB ports, so I can still utilize USB3 w/o negatively effecting the stuff plugged into the USB2 ports.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I was under the impression that it would be fully backward compatible. Just like how I didn't notice anything when usb 2.0 was new.
But now I got an external soundcard that pops on the 3.0 ports and I have to worry about input lag.
It's kind of weird how this mobo has only 2 regular 2.0 ports and no ps/2 port. So you have no slots left by just hooking up your keyboard and mouse.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Some very commonly used usb 3.0 host controllers cause some issues with (some) usb 2.0 devices.

Good pointer to XHCI, will check it out.

·
Registered
564 Posts
SAME FREAKING PROBLEM !!

I was litterally pulling out the hair out of my head last night !

everytime i moved the mouse i had HUGE framedrops in-game no matter the game ( csgo - insurgency - contagion - RO2 )

Uninstalled the xhci driver and everything went back to normal

Polling was weird on my cm storm alcor too !!

with xchi usb 3-> 1020hz avg

wiithout xchi usb 3 -> 999-1000hz

Plugged a good old intellimouse explorer before uninstalling the driver, i had no frame drops but i could not overlock my port !!

Any ideas on keeping the 3.0 driver AND my sanity ?
tongue.gif

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoFGR View Post

Polling was weird on my cm storm alcor too !!

with xchi usb 3-> 1020hz avg

wiithout xchi usb 3 -> 999-1000hz
which program did you use to measure the polling?

·
Registered
350 Posts
So what do i have to look in my BIOS? xchi? or USB3 Controller? because XCHI i don't have this option but i do have USB 3 Controller is that enough?

·
Premium Member
5,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post

So what do i have to look in my BIOS? xchi? or USB3 Controller? because XCHI i don't have this option but i do have USB 3 Controller is that enough?
The names work like this:

EHCI = USB 2.0 and 1.1
XHCI = USB 3.0

·
Facepalm
9,888 Posts
I think these bugs ONLY apply to asmedia USB 3.0 chips/motherboards.
The P67 boards with the Renesas (NEC) USB ports are not affected by this at all.
No difference between a USB3 and USB2 port...mouserate and dx_mouse_poll both show 1000 MHz and dx_mouse_timer_dialog shows 1020mhz on all ports and mice even on USB2 (and its even done that on core 2 motherboards).

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
0 problems and difference for me with xhci enabled in bios and drivers installed on a Asus Maximus Gene V Z77.

I don't have my mice in USB3 either.

Same average and peak refreshrate on 2 different mice with it enabled and disabled.

See no reason to disable it since I need the usb3 for drives.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts