Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had this unit for just over a year, no real complaints. It's only semi-modular, but I use all but 1 of the cables that are hard wired (a 4-pin CPU, because I needed an 8 pin).
However, recently I've noticed a rattling coming from my system. Initially I thought it was an old case fan I had and just ignored it because I was getting a new case and new fans. But after upgrading to my new case, and replacing every single fan except for the one on my North Bridge and PSU, the rattling was still there. So I pulled the one off my north bridge since it's this tiny little thing and I'm convinced that it is actually moving the air the wrong way.

This leaves the 140mm fan in my PSU. Anyone have any experience on replacing the fan in a XIGMATEK PSU or any other PSU? It looks simple enough, it's just behind this grill and seems like it would be fairly easy to access - but I'm just curious if there are any potential surprises I should be aware of.

Even if it isn't this fan, the one in the PSU is a blue LED now, and I just changed the scheme to red, so I might as well make it match the rest of the case.

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Make sure you pick a similar fan in terms of power draw. Also you might have an issue with the connector, some PSUs use a 2-pin connector and most fans I've seen use a 3-pin connector.
Other than that I can't really think of anything. As far as I know It's not complicated so long as you're aware that you're voiding your warranty.

·
Premium Member
16,520 Posts
Also some PSU fans are actually soldered to the main PCB.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both good things to be aware of.
It has "Smart and Silent Fan control. Smart thermal control to balance noise and cooling" - could mean either 3 pin or PWM connection.

Honestly, I don't even think I still have a warranty at this point - I can't remember if I even registered/sent in the card, and if I did, i expect that the warranty is about to expire anyway. (warranty was 1 year if memory serves)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
Yeah it's not a difficult procedure.

1.) Current draw
2.) Form factor (Is it a slim fan? What is the diameter? (rhetorical))
3.) How is it connected?

I've done it with a 40mm 1U PSU fan before. Just make sure you do black to black. Red to red. Yellow to yellow. Blue to Blue. (If applicable)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts