Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran the stock Xigmatek 1283 and a e8600 (oc'd to 4.4 @ 1.37V so far) for a few weeks. I even used the pushpins becasue I didnt want to take the board back out. Running the stock fan on it maxed, I hit and ave of 36C idle & 64C max @ 21c ambient while running OCCT for 10 mins.

So my Ultra Kaze's came in and figured now I will put the back plate in, lap the cpu and cooler and swap the fan.

I lapped the cpu and cooler and they came out awesome. Applied as5 via finger and plastic bag, like i normally do. then forced the as5 inbetween the heat pipes and the cracks on the cooler. I then applied as5 the with a bag the same way as I normally do. Bolted it in and ran it still with the stock fan.

It same 10 min OCCT test and same exact room temp, 22C. I went form 36C idle, to 32C idle and max from 64C to 62C.

Next I switched the fan out and put the monster Ultra Kaze on, which just about blew the pc off the desk! wow, this thing moves alot of air! Again same exact tests, same ambient temps. Somehow my idle jumped back to 36C, but the max dropped to 58C.

I expected alot more from this. And the more I read on other peoples setups, they are running low 50's with the stock fan and no lap?

I am willing to bet I used too much TIM. I just noticed the 2 line application people seem to do. But the thing it doesnt mention is, are they still putting the tim on the CPU as well? Or just the 2 lines (after forcing it in the cracks between the pipes and the cooler base) and slap it on the mobo?

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Well, this is what i did. I did not lap mine but i just used a rice sized dot of AS5 on my cpu, placed the heatsink+bolt-through onto the mobo, and made sure to tighten the screws down all the way. My temps are superb with a 1.51 vcore going through it. I idle at 32ish and Load in the 50's. This is with the stock fan.

·
PC Evangelist
47,787 Posts
Those temps seem right.

·
Freeflushots
3,460 Posts
What kinda airflow are u seeing in that case? Is it just a front intake and a rear exhaust?

@rtop2: What ambients are you getting with those temps? Gotta be low if you're pushing 1.51v through a S1283...........

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Everyone's CPU is different, but for that clock and voltage, that seems to be a normal temperature. The Xig isn't the best cooler out there, and you can't expect miracles from a simple Ultra Kaze. Low 50's would be pretty hard to do at that clock with air cooling, short of a TRUE and a really good 120x38mm fan.

You really have to remember that every CPU is different. I have 2 Q6600's...they run about 15C apart at the same clocks and voltage, all else being equal.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Yeah it seems like you applied too much tim because after lapping you usually apply less tim. But I think your temps seem fine, mine didn't drop that much either after I lapped my AC7, but I still think it was worth it lol.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My case is a Lian li pc7fw, stock 140mm pos fan in the front and Ultra Kaze in the top rear for exhaust. this is with the side off the case too. forgot to mention that. case window on, temps rise 4-6c at same ambient temp. I need to change that intake fan soon.

Motherboard temp is 31C btw. inside the case temp by the exhaust fan is 28C.

I am going to go home later and pull it off and see how the spread was. And try the 2 line idea without any on the cpu. we will see.

I know my temps are OK, but I see alot of other people running 10+C lower both idle/max than I am, and I am competitive! lol

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by krazykid View Post
My case is a Lian li pc7fw, stock 140mm pos fan in the front and Ultra Kaze in the top rear for exhaust. this is with the side off the case too. forgot to mention that. case window on, temps rise 4-6c at same ambient temp. I need to change that intake fan soon.

Motherboard temp is 31C btw. inside the case temp by the exhaust fan is 28C.

I am going to go home later and pull it off and see how the spread was. And try the 2 line idea without any on the cpu. we will see.

I know my temps are OK, but I see alot of other people running 10+C lower both idle/max than I am, and I am competitive! lol
Most likely cause their chip just runs cooler. Nothing you can do about that. I'd be fighting a losing war trying to get my Q6600 temps to match what others can get, it runs really hot for some reason.

You could help a bit by getting better case airflow..and yeah, you'll wonder why...but a better fan than that ultra kaze would help too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah i hear you on "to each chip, their own". It is crazy to think, with the high tol. build specs for computer parts, you would think the temps and what not would be alot closer.

Ohh an very nice review, I just read through it after I posted this up.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts