Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quote:
How Much Faster Is SLI On The X58? NVIDIA gave us a preview of the kind of performance boost we can expect from SLI on the Intel X58 Express platform. Here, they tested the GeForce GTX 280 and the GeForce GTX 260+ in a 3-way SLI configuration and compared them against the Radeon HD 4870 in CrossFireX mode.

source

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
I have seen quite a few tests that show triple SLI and even SLI scaling like mad, un-caged beasts using an x58 board.

Then again...so does CF! You can really use ANY high end setup now with I7 and it will scale PHENOMENALLY!!!!!

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by ryanrenolds08 View Post
I have seen quite a few tests that show triple SLI and even SLI scaling like mad, un-caged beasts using an x58 board.

Then again...so does CF! You can really use ANY high end setup now with I7 and it will scale PHENOMENALLY!!!!!
AGREED

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
"NVIDIA gave us a preview" with low-res incorrectly scaled graphs...

I vote it worst news post I've ever read...

·
Registered
668 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_hax View Post

lol its ok ill take the hit

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by i_hax
View Post

Yep, much better than AMD when they post...THE EXACT SAME GRAPH

I see what you are saying.

Both CF AND SLI scale very well using I7. The CPU is our bottleneck after all.

·
Banned
10,584 Posts
I call BS. They copypasta'd the scores for the ATI cards, and I can barely make out the tests, but I did see nCrysis in there...:\\

·
Banned
10,327 Posts
could this all just be because the processor isn't holding back the videocards and there isn't really any improvement, just that the processor is doing the work? I dunno, but impressive either way

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I can't say if sli or cf is better than the other cause I have not seen the tests...nor have I seen any reviews proving otherwise.

What I can say is that Nvidia does have rather more properly prepared drivers in terms of specifically opening up vista side gadgets of bbc for video playback...something I have not been able to watch since switching to ati cf.

Much more importantly is the cad usage...solidworks 2007 and 2009 both do not work properly in 64bit vista systems due to ATI cf " poor " drivers.

I have done some testing and upon uninstalling ccc both the 2007 & 2009 versions of solidworks then work fine for 64 vista with the display driver of vista itself.

Funny thing is that the 2008 solidworks 64 vista does work with sp3 or higher. While you could say this is a vista thing...it's true...it is...still nvidia does not have this problem.

I know this because I have tested all of the exact same sw versions on a friends pc and he has an 8800gtx.

So, there it is.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Quote:

Yes, these graph's looks terrible. It's so out of focus. These grapsh are super BS also. Notice how the CF is exactly the same score in each game tested..lol. I've never seen such bogus charts.... and I love nVidia cards.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

What is wrong with the scale?

·
Banned
12,758 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pauldovi View Post
What is wrong with the scale?
The graphs uses ATi as the base score. What happens is if nVidia is 120% the speed of ATi, it shows their bar as 3 times the size of ATi. 3 times the size, only 1/5th faster, scale sucks.

However ATi Fanboys, ATi posted a graph in the exact same way only a few weeks ago. Both companies have been doing this, so this argument sucks.

As far as whether nVidia skewed the results wildly.....well, we'll know soon as I predict a good portion of OCN owning the i7 and either a couple of 4870x2s or GTX280s.

·
Premium Member
13,422 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordikon
View Post

The graphs uses ATi as the base score. What happens is if nVidia is 120% the speed of ATi, it shows their bar as 3 times the size of ATi. 3 times the size, only 1/5th faster, scale sucks.

There is nothing wrong with this scale. It is mathematically correct. I would hope Nvidia creates the scale to make their product seem superior at a quick glance. That is the purpose of PR and marketing.

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
again, am I the only one who's noticed that all these benches use two 4870's rather than two 4870X2's? Talk about skewing results =X

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
then atleast pit the SLI rig against a single 4870 X2, which performs better than a 4870 Xfire rig. they just dont want to be seen comparing two cards to one.

and if quadfire fails, then why not bench against it? it'll make your card setup look better, as your pitting it against the best your competitor has to offer.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts