Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To start off, what is the benefit of getting Win. XP 64 bit edtion. And second, about how much does it cost?

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
Still very glitchy on drivers .Oem price is about £90.00 . I had thought about givin it a go as i have a copy here but i was warned off .

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, I am building a new system with an AMD 3500+ Venice core. I DEFINATLY want to overclock, do I want XP 64 bit edition?

·
Banned
658 Posts
Right now it is ~$150 on newegg including shipping. You get the ability to use 64-bit programs and some games are now coded for 64 bit. The biggest step up is you will see more from your CPU (not in your case). The downfalls right now are lack of state-of-the-art video drivers. But as it still has issues I would recommend it only as a second boot OS.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So yes or no?

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
It has also been knowen to be a bit buggy with drivers (you may not be able to find them if you have old devices or obscure ones)

Personally I'd go no, because I don't feel it is fully developed yet.

·
Banned
4,563 Posts
It's more snappy but other then that there's no difference. Don't spend more money on it if you already have XP Pro. Otherwise, get quality parts and it should work fine.

·
Banned
1,159 Posts
well i suggest dual booting, but i'd like to have it because my games are 32 bit that can be 64 but but i need win64 to play it!!!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the thing is, I can get it from a good buddy for only $50.00 so that is why I asked.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
How good of a buddy? I run XP64 on my rig, and it "feels" faster than 32 bit. Driver support (as everyone knows and has stated) is literally CRAP. I dont know why MS even released it, honestly. Its nice to have to test with and run the very basics on. Oh yeah, and Farcry 64 ROCKS on it. Other than that, for testing purposes only.

For 50 bucks, I'd be VERY tempted.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Yeah, sorry to ask, but why did MS come out with the 64 bit windows if they weren't goign to support it? Will the new operating system be 64 bit, because couldn't we get a little more performance by using it, or is there no noticeable difference?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by prostate05

Yeah, sorry to ask, but why did MS come out with the 64 bit windows if they weren't goign to support it? Will the new operating system be 64 bit, because couldn't we get a little more performance by using it, or is there no noticeable difference?

Vista will be 64 bit, and there is a noticeable difference, it feels like its faster all around...but not worth the hassle in its current state. When Vista hits, support will be in full swing, and it will be like finding drivers for XP32.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Meh, i use it, but i wouldn;t reccommend it for the average user. It is very glitchy, and alot of things arent supported by it.....so, no....don;t do it....i only use it cause i have access to free XP and x64, so i use both.....

·
Banned
658 Posts
LIke everyone is saying itss about drivers but the more important this is what build version you have, I have one of the first 1218 but the better one is 1433 which I believe is also the retail version.

: Xavier have you, or anyone for that matter have you tried the new Catalyat 6.1 x64 drivers yet?

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
No I have not, the 32bit 6.1's really sucked IMO, so I'm sticking with the 5.13's and may even revert to 5.10 or 5.12's.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OK thanks guys. I guess now, the only reason that I would buy it is to resell it on ebay...by the way, my good buddy is a guy who is rich, and doesn't need the os.

·
Banned
4,795 Posts
There is no benefit, no programs are really written in 64 bit, so theres no reason to switch to it yet, stick with 32 bit until probably next year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts