Overclock.net banner

XP/7 Network Share Help

485 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  compuman145
I moved media from one drive to another to make room on my win7 pc, then went about setting up sharing for the new drive. This is where things go awry. Before, sharing worked fine, both on xp and win7 now it's somewhat off.

Win7 can access the shared drive on XP
XP can access the Public User files on win7
XP can't access the shared drive on win7 (Access Denied error).

Both PC's have the same workgroup name, and I've set the advanced network sharing in win7 to allow it. I've allowed read/write permission for everyone on the drive. I've even setup a new win7 account with the same name as the xp account.

So, any ideas?

EDIT: Fixed - I shared the sub-folders and those work fine, I guess setting permissions for the whole drive doesn't carry over to them.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Go into computer management and check the permissions on the share in there. Thats probably where the issue is.

Regards,

Comps
Windows 7 won't allow you to share the root of a drive. You just have to share all the subfolders as you have done so.
Quote:

Originally Posted by jdub01984 View Post
Windows 7 won't allow you to share the root of a drive. You just have to share all the subfolders as you have done so.
I was sharing two whole drives a couple days ago, perhaps it has something to do with the new one being formatted by 7 instead of XP like the old ones. I'm too lazy to test and the subfolder route works fine. Plus, my obsession with organizing files into large folder groups proved useful in this case.
See less See more
On that note, have you tried \\\\machinename\\c$

Thats a default admin share.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.