Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need everyone's input on this. please.

I needa find out which is better, a thermaltake tower 112 or an xp-90. both will have Tornados on it, 2 in the case of teh tower 112, but i need to figure out which one is indeed better. this order goes out this week, so please help out with this. it's in a hurry, but i'll give out reps to anyone who provides decent feedback.

XP-90: http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...109-119&depa=0

Tower 112: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...altakeTower112

Thanks everyone so much,
ATVkid1090

·
Registered
840 Posts
I dunno, imagine a tower with 2 tornados on each side... I wonder how much heat it could dissipate, it does have a wider area than the XP-90 and it IS all copper and it CAN have 2 tornados instead of just 1... I dunno, I would research a bit about it before getting it

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yeah, i'd do tornados on both sides if i got the tower 112. just using common sense. found a review of the tower on ntcompatible.com and it said it wasnt half bad, but it was heavy as hell!...idk if it'll fit/bend the mobo...

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
actually i already did my presHott is running nice temps at full loads
Temps are at 108°f and case temps are 98.6... this is with my Two
84cfm fans blowing through the tower towards the back exhaust...
these fans arent even running at full these fans are 5700rpm
and running at 3700rpm with those temps... my case fans not even running at full....

Reasons i would take this over the xp90 is the all copper construction...
Face it copper is better than alluminum...
If you can find a thermalright SP-94 i would think this is pretty close to the towers heat dissapation...
Also i think having the fans blowing through it and not directly on the core is a better option for heatpipe cooling due to less turbulence....

oh yeah 108°f is load temps on a 3.2e ghz OCd to 3.5ghz
I have the VT7 abit board which i saw online that it was lockable but its not so i cant push further than this...
the prescott is happy at temps well into the 130°f temp ranges....
so you should get a descent overclock with the right MOBO

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
the 112 is what i am going to get probly for my cpu....i like it because u can put 2 fans on it, and its 1 hecka lot of copper to cool with. but then the xp-90 has a smaller profile...but i dont know the cooling power between the 2, so both are decent...but 2 fans are better then 1

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
it has to fit, its a thermaltake! they probly test their products with thier own cases...wouldnt u think?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think it's a good product. I would go for the tower112. I keep my prescott at stock speed @ 92.3ºF with open case and my spark7 at 2000RPM + an 80mm fan blowing from one of the 5" 1/4 bays (I super glued it there lolz) but the truth is my RAM is wayyy cooler and it helps the air flow of the whole case and affects the CPU temp too.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
very high because of multiple computers... i would say 80° or higher in my room
Folding machines...
also if your case has a side panel fan dont expect it to fit unless its a standard 80mm... i have a tornado on the side and I had to mount it on the outside of the case... but other than that everything fit fine... ive seen some mobos with the CPU closer towards the back of the case you will not be able to mount it with dual fans.. i had to remove my rear case fans to make it fit....

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
OK, so should i go with the tower 112? cuz everyone seems to say it's better. but it'a a whopping like 4 lbs...do i needa fab up a support to hold this thing in place? and plus, it's 20 bucks more on newegg...is it really worth the extra 4 pounds and 20 bucks? or should i go for the xp-90? because i'm only gonna oc a lil, cuz i dnt wanna kill my processor. but back to my original question, is it worth it?

·
Registered
840 Posts
I think so. If you just want to OC a lil then it's good cause you can slap in some silent fans and get a good OC without much noise and so-so temps. If you want to get bolder, then just slap a couple of tornados and you'll be cool.
And spooked, I've seen the silent tower (same size as the 112 I think) working on a case with both fans and a rear case fan. Worked like a charm
so I guess it depends on your case too. The case I saw it on was a midtower, wasn't big, just regular midtower size.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
the main difference is the alluminum fins....
tey i know i could fit regular 80mm fans with no problem....
but i have tornadoes mounted on the 112 and i have a tornado mounted on the side above the 112 and i had to mount it outside...
i couldnt mount any fans on the back because the tornadoes were taking up that space... now that im looking at it again i think standard 80mm would fit fine
but i think that could hinder the flow of air around my heatsink

·
Registered
398 Posts
ok now if you get the tower that would be alot of weight on the cpu socket you will have to wire it up some how to releave the stress of the cpu socket i seen that thing at compusa or was it microcenter, anyways just be carefull it does look like a good cooling with two fans hooked on ....gl

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
its installed on mine and im not worried a bit the bracket thats with it spreads the load out far enough to keep it from breaking the pcb and its not directly atached to the socket... its pressing down on it just like the original heatsink..

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
Get the 112, becuase its a crap load of copper that has a crap load of cooling power
U probly might want to make a support from maybe a large ziptie, and hang it to the power supply. Also the 112 and silent tower are way diferent. They share kinda same design, but the silent tower has aluminum fins, and the 112 is all copper, waking it way better. The amount of copper is huge, but this cooler will probly be a great hsf for your next system as long as it uses the same socket
Get the 112!

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

Get the 112, becuase its a crap load of copper that has a crap load of cooling power
U probly might want to make a support from maybe a large ziptie, and hang it to the power supply. Also the 112 and silent tower are way diferent. They share kinda same design, but the silent tower has aluminum fins, and the 112 is all copper, waking it way better. The amount of copper is huge, but this cooler will probly be a great hsf for your next system as long as it uses the same socket
Get the 112!

ok, went ahead and ordered it from zipzoomfly.com. they sell it for 44.95 USD, with free 2nd day air shipping. thanks everyone for the input on this thread, reps to come for all of you.

thanks again,
ATVkid1090

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by atvkid1090

ok, went ahead and ordered it from zipzoomfly.com. they sell it for 44.95 USD, with free 2nd day air shipping. thanks everyone for the input on this thread, reps to come for all of you.

thanks again,
ATVkid1090

hey kid,

as a proud owner, i would suggest you take a look at my comp picture, located in the intel general category under "the remodel is done" -- this sucker is heavy!
the load is well spread, but after you install it, you will notice that the mobo is definitely not as straight as before - therefore i built some stilts to hold the beast up.

look into it!!!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts