Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing about 80% of my hardware including the HD so a new install of XP is obviously in order. The machine I am coming from is a Dell and the disk I have for XP is a Dell labeled disk (not Microsoft's stock iridescent disk). The mini manual that was packed with the disk says that the OS may be customized by the manufacturer so the desktop and Start menu may look different than in the manual.

Any idea if this will be a problem given all the new hardware (HD, mobo, opticals) or should it be ok...is it basically just graphical with things like "Dell Support" quick link buttons added? Needless to say it would really suck to gut everything to find out the hard way that I also need ot get a new OS. As always, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

I am replacing about 80% of my hardware including the HD so a new install of XP is obviously in order. The machine I am coming from is a Dell and the disk I have for XP is a Dell labeled disk (not Microsoft's stock iridescent disk). The mini manual that was packed with the disk says that the OS may be customized by the manufacturer so the desktop and Start menu may look different than in the manual.

Any idea if this will be a problem given all the new hardware (HD, mobo, opticals) or should it be ok...is it basically just graphical with things like "Dell Support" quick link buttons added? Needless to say it would really suck to gut everything to find out the hard way that I also need ot get a new OS. As always, any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

You will not have problems with the new hardware, the only difference you will find on install is that because it is not being installed on a Dell mobo it will ask for activation and for you to enter the product code.

The Dell cust menus will not be installable on the new machine, it will only install the true Win XP features.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bindusar

Thanks mfill...cool. That is what I was hoping for. Well, I'll know by tonight how it all goes. Thanks again, you guys are great.

I've experimented with HP and Gateway OEM OSs that responded liek I stated below, most likely it will work just like the other manufacturers' disks. If it gives you a lot of problems you can just install from someone elses OS disk and just use your product key for the installation.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
yeah, i'm doing the exact same thing as you are. ive had trouble with booting from my CD such that it recognizes the CD in the drive...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ATVkid*AFZ*

yeah, i'm doing the exact same thing as you are. ive had trouble with booting from my CD such that it recognizes the CD in the drive...

Just borrow a friend's OS disk to run the install and use your own product key.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
is the product key 5 sets of digits? i have a sticker on my dell that goes something like this: (x-es stand for numbers) xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx...is that it? i'm not home right now, im just tryin to get an idea of what i needa do... also, i don't know anyone that has an os disk.. i'l try and find someone who does, but is the aforementioned code the key?
Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Just borrow a friend's OS disk to run the install and use your own product key.

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

is the product key 5 sets of digits? i have a sticker on my dell that goes something like this: (x-es stand for numbers) xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxx...is that it? i'm not home right now, im just tryin to get an idea of what i needa do... also, i don't know anyone that has an os disk.. i'l try and find someone who does, but is the aforementioned code the key?

Yes, it is 5 ssequences of 5 letters or numbers, to place the sticker on your new case, you just have to run a lighter or below it on the other side of the case, the heat will soften the adhesive, then just pull the sticker off and put it on your new case.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

Yes, it is 5 ssequences of 5 letters or numbers, to place the sticker on your new case, you just have to run a lighter or below it on the other side of the case, the heat will soften the adhesive, then just pull the sticker off and put it on your new case.

ok...cuz microsoft makes me activate it, and it comes up with 9 boxes...what's up with that?

EDIT: for clarification, xp makes me activate it, and when i go to activate it, it comes up with 9 boxes... this is when i go to "call microsoft" option... the screen says that a rep will give you an activation number...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

ok...cuz microsoft makes me activate it, and it comes up with 9 boxes...what's up with that?

The 9 boxes is a complete numeric key which you will get from the microsoft activation center, just call them at the number listed and explain that you are reinstalling your OS and they will give you the complete numeric activation code.

·
Premium Member
13,844 Posts
Quote:

The 9 boxes is a complete numeric key which you will get from the microsoft activation center, just call them at the number listed and explain that you are reinstalling your OS and they will give you the complete numeric activation code.

i get some automated thing that asks me for the installation code, and then it said that they can't find it... what do i need to do?

·
Banned
1,085 Posts
Well, if you want to install XP on one of your new computers or an old computer, just call microsoft and they'll give you a key. Because once you've purchased XP, you should never have to purchase it again (unless going to 64 bit)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts