Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I continue to have some weirdness with my Athlon 35w XP-M 2400+ .
  1. I can't get the multiplier to go above 12.5. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (the older version). Is it a problem with the chip or the MB?
  2. I can't get the VCore on the MB lower than 1.525 Does anyone know how to do this?
  3. Right now I'm at 12.5 x 161 @ 1.525 VCore, Prime95 stable for 6 hours. Not bad...temps are nice and low...I want to push higher, but I need to lap my HSF or something to get better temps. Right now, 41C idle, 45C Prime Load.
  4. Has anyone noticed that certain multipliers seem to perform better than others? I tried out 11.5x200 and things were pretty fast (I used a 5:4 divider for the RAM timing) but it ran just so HOT and kind of unstable. Like...certain things would run quick, but there were some odd cases where there were "hiccups" in processing power. I had to pump the Vcore up to 1.625, and I was running 46C Idle, 53C Prime Load. Things were a bit warm for me, so I scaled back.
  5. Does using the 5:4 divider for RAM timing require extra Voltage to the processor? Does it make the CPU run hotter? If I were to buy DDR400 RAM (if I can convince the old ball and chain to let me) and run 1:1 again, does this make things more stable/cooler?
Once again, thanks in advance...you guys have been really cool with what are probably newbie questions...even though I think I have a thorough understanding about how everything works. Basically, find the perfect balance between Multiplier, FSB, RAM timing, Vcore, performance and temperature. Damn. That's 6 variables! Fun!

Cheers
Bri

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by XDecker

So I continue to have some weirdness with my Athlon 35w XP-M 2400+ .
  1. I can't get the multiplier to go above 12.5. Has anyone else experienced this? I have an ASUS A7N8X Deluxe (the older version). Is it a problem with the chip or the MB?
  2. I can't get the VCore on the MB lower than 1.525 Does anyone know how to do this?
  3. Right now I'm at 12.5 x 161 @ 1.525 VCore, Prime95 stable for 6 hours. Not bad...temps are nice and low...I want to push higher, but I need to lap my HSF or something to get better temps. Right now, 41C idle, 45C Prime Load.
  4. Has anyone noticed that certain multipliers seem to perform better than others? I tried out 11.5x200 and things were pretty fast (I used a 5:4 divider for the RAM timing) but it ran just so HOT and kind of unstable. Like...certain things would run quick, but there were some odd cases where there were "hiccups" in processing power. I had to pump the Vcore up to 1.625, and I was running 46C Idle, 53C Prime Load. Things were a bit warm for me, so I scaled back.
  5. Does using the 5:4 divider for RAM timing require extra Voltage to the processor? Does it make the CPU run hotter? If I were to buy DDR400 RAM (if I can convince the old ball and chain to let me) and run 1:1 again, does this make things more stable/cooler?
Once again, thanks in advance...you guys have been really cool with what are probably newbie questions...even though I think I have a thorough understanding about how everything works. Basically, find the perfect balance between Multiplier, FSB, RAM timing, Vcore, performance and temperature. Damn. That's 6 variables! Fun!

Cheers
Bri

Well at least with the first part... you don't want your multi so high.... you want to get the FSB as high as you can. This will be your real speed boost because your bus is actually running faster not just the chip. Also I would set the ram to a 1:1 and see what you can do... Also why do you want to lower the voltage? up the voltage to get a higher fsb...temps get to high improve the cooling before you go any higher.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i believe the board needs a bios update to get multi's higher than 12.5. if not a bios update than a pin mod. But i think the bios update would unlock more multi's. but even with the xp-m i can't see you getting much more than 2.5 without watercooling or phase change cooling. even 2.5ghz would be 12.5x200fsb.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
for the vcore, no it wont go lower that that because almost every motherboard doesnt have that option. bios update should fix the multi problem. what kind of cooling do you have?

·
Registered
66 Posts
I notice you only have pc2700 ram, wont get to far past 180 fsb with it most likely, And yes you dont want to go really higher than 12.5, its the fsb you want to work on getting up there, i would suggest some good pc3200 ram, willing the mobo will go 200 fsb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have the latest mb bios update for the asus a7n8x deluxe. Oddly enough, higher multipliers are available in the bios, but when I select anything higher than 12.5, the change doesn't "take". For example, when I select 14x in the bios, the CPU posts at 800Mhz.

I would like to set the RAM at 1:1, but I have cheap 2700 RAM...the stuff doesn't even run at 166Mhz stably. It passes memtest and prime at 161, but as soon as I push it any higher, it poops out. Right now I have the box at 11.5x200 @ 1.625V with 80% RAM timing, for an effective RAM clock of 160Mhz. This runs stable in Prime95 as well, but kind of warm.

I would love to get some of that OCZ PC3500 Newegg has for $200.00, but my fiancee would kick my butt. After all, I just upgraded my CPU and video card. Have to wait until christmas time.

I have a pretty decent air cooler...a Coolermaster Aero 7+ with that horizontally aligned fan. It's not as good as a thermalright or whatever, but it's not exactly a cheapy either. Maybe I'll spend the time to lap the heatsink and get some better temps. (I've already used AS5)

Maybe I'll just make the goal of christmas to get an entry-level water cooler (I've been looking at the Kingwin kit...seems very nice for about $100) and that OCZ RAM.

Thanks for your help, guys. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Bri

1 - 6 of 6 Posts