Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
which is betterb xp pro or corporate. to be specific which has the more advanced features. i lost my cd key to pro but i found a copy of corp.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrbsti
which is betterb xp pro or corporate. to be specific which has the more advanced features. i lost my cd key to pro but i found a copy of corp.
Corporate is going to give you more finctions for security purposes. XP is weird when it comes to runing some programs on it. For example I cant run the program poser on my home edition because it just doesnt work. I would go with corporte personally. I can only assume that it has added benfits such as security and what not. It may also help in getting programs on your comp....although XP pro is used in the company I work for. In addition I would google Corps addition and see what exactly it has in comparison to XP it may be the samr thing just something you can run on multiple comps.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I haven't tried out Corp yet but I can say that I don't have any complaints about Pro. IMO, it's the best route you can take if you're going for a Windows OS.

Just out of curiosity, have you tried out any other operating systems? might be something to consider if you're going to reformat anyway.. could go for a dual boot setup :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i like to keep things simple i like pro but i lost the cd key im pissed because i payed for it and i cant finish the installation on my other system till i get a code i was thinking of using the corp edition my friend dropped off .

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
dude just get XP pro. i've used both pro and home ed. and hands down pro is that much more secure and better overall. corperate is kinda overkill IMO... but if you wanna send me a copy then let me know

·
Registered
290 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wrbsti

i got 2 copies of pro and no key codes.

I would run what you have key codes for.....the corporate edition should run fine after i am sure they charge more for corporate than pro sot hat means they have added fetures, which in your case is free....free is good very very good.

·
Registered
956 Posts
no the reason it costs more is copartions got lots of money that they can waist on crap like that, yeah there may be one or two diffrent things, but the thing is there is no real diffrence between home and pro, other than that dynamic parition crap (for raid 0), but its cheeper to just get a basic raid card...wait,
if i remember correctly, with corp. ed. you can put a copy on more than one pc @ a time.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I use a mixture of Pro and Pro x64 edition between home and work... the x64 is pretty sweet and you can actually bench a little higher with it too on super pi... have no idea how 3d stuff would go though since my 64 bit tester only has a 5200.

grrr. why does it cut my posts in half....

what is corporate anyways? I have an MSDN Universal and it's not in my set... nor is it on my downloads from Microsoft... is it a UK thing or something?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nayo_450
...wait,
if i remember correctly, with corp. ed. you can put a copy on more than one pc @ a time.
can't you do that with pro too?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i want to use my pro cd with sp2 but because i lost the key i cant and i tried using the key from other other pro cd that has no sp2 but that key doesnt want to be accepted so now im not sure what to do i could say screw it and use corp edition or i could rip apart my whole house till i found i tiny paper. if not ill use corp edition i actually have come across ways to change your cds key im trying to read and understand these guides supposedly you could like hack the cd and change the key to your liking sounds like fun ill check it out when i got the chance..

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
XP corporate got released to businesses to allow them to put XP on their computers without having to enter 1000's of product keys. corporate does not need to be activated, which is what makes it the pirated version of XP. if you have your licenses to XP pro then you are legally allowed to install using xp corp. large businesses did just this, bought 1000 product keys but never used them, they just used corp.
after xp was released microsoft realised that they had made a huge mistake because xp corp was circulating as pirated copies of windows. because of this they did not allow you to install sp1 on xp corp when they released it. the same goes for sp2.
if you want to run xp with sp2 but are forced to use a corp cd then you must slipstream xp corp with sp2. google for a guide on how to do it, i will prob write one soon anyway. by slipstreaming, xp corp and sp2 can run together without needing to activate it and you are still using xp legally.
hope this helps.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alpinesix
can't you do that with pro too?
i have never used pro, the exta $100 was never realy justified 2 me

·
Banned
2,316 Posts
Corp and Pro are EXACTLY the same OS, apart from Corp does not require you to license your copy of XP over the net after installing it - thats the only difference.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by slow'puter
You need to back up your wpa.dbl and wpa.bak files. They are in the Windows/System32 folder. Those 2 files hold your activation key. That way you do not need ot call MS again.

As for the cd key, it is embedded in the registry, but in an unrecognizable format. You can view your product key by Visit the Keyfinder Homepage by Aleks Ozolins. Click this link and select "Open" and your Windows XP Product Key will be displayed.
yes but if you replace them then xp thinks that you are doing something not legal and automatically un activates xp.

xms that was one point i forgot to mention, corporate is just xp pro without needing to activate.

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3
yes but if you replace them then xp thinks that you are doing something not legal and automatically un activates xp.

xms that was one point i forgot to mention, corporate is just xp pro without needing to activate.
Backing those files up is the solution offered by MS tech support, do I do not regard it as illegal. Installing that copy of XP Corp is illegal. He is not the owner and we do not know for how many licenses it is authorized.

I forgot to mention, to replace those files it is better if Windows starts in Safe mode.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts