Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I lost my product key for XP home. Is there a way i van get another one without buying one?? I need this fixed for school. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
nope....u lose it, thats it...at least legally..

u have to buy a new copy for a new key

·
Banned
550 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by adas123

nope....u lose it, thats it...at least legally..

u have to buy a new copy for a new key

yup u cant do nething bout it LEGALY but u can get a new key........(but not legally lol)

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
ohhhh, i know!!!!! if XP is already installed.....then then then...u can see it through windows!

download everest home from www.lavalys.com
then install and go to operating system, and your product key should be right there!!!:shades2:

·
Registered
712 Posts
You can also call the manufacturer of your PC if it's an HP or Sony or whatever. (of course if it is the key should be on a sticker somewhere on your case.) If not you can call microsoft and they will require you to read them the serial number on the CD itself most likely. If that is a no go.... google is always useful.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
shoulda thought bout finding the key be4 u reformatted (IF u reformatted)

·
Registered
712 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tt_shark

shoulda thought bout finding the key be4 u reformatted (IF u reformatted)

he can always use a program like GetDataBack NTFS to recover the reg file and get it out of there... it's stored in there somewhere.

·
Premium Member
3,990 Posts
Quote:

ohhhh, i know!!!!! if XP is already installed.....then then then...u can see it through windows!

download everest home from www.lavalys.com
then install and go to operating system, and your product key should be right there!!!:shades2:

Man, that sounded like a response on Crack! lol

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See, the problem is that i installed a new motherboard and it wouldn't load windows. I read its a good idea to do a re-install anyways. I bought the copy of windows from my university for like $20, so it was only in a little cheap plastic sleeve (easy to loose). The product code was on the back. I now have a xp pro cd with no sleeve or product code. I have turned my house and my dorm upside down looking for it. There is a part number on the disc if that will help if i call them. I just don't want to call them and sound like a ******* trying to get a code for a product i didn't buy.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
like i said, if windows is already installed, and u can get to it, DL everset and see if its there.

and SHawn, dont worry, i wasnt on crack just exicted

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Quote:

like i said, if windows is already installed, and u can get to it, DL everset and see if its there.

and SHawn, dont worry, i wasnt on crack just exicted

Oh yea, i left that part out. I can't get windows installed. I used a fake key to install and now it won't let me log into windows without activating. It also doesn't give me a activation key to call them and give them the number to activate it.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
ohh, well then i think your screwed...time to get another copy of XP

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

ohh, well then i think your screwed...time to get another copy of XP

Damn it! and sorry. its windows XP Pro.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Keep looking around... there are plenty of VL discs out there that don;t require activation.

·
Premium Member
4,730 Posts
be careful about how far you take this conversation... the pm system is right there...

·
Registered
712 Posts
It's apparent he actually OWNS a copy of the program... as HE has said. What disc he uses to install is irrellivant if he actually has the paper liscence. The key itself is usually sseparate from the liscence.

·
Registered
712 Posts
What people don;t understand about Microsoft is that it's the paper liscences that matter and make you legal. Companies worldwide simply purchase a VL CD (Volume Liscence) and up to 1000 paper liscences. They get one key and it works on ALL of the installs they do with that one list. Rather than bog up the client's network with activation they just disabled activation in the install program and set it to automatically activated. VL CD's have VL key types, MSDN CD's have MSDN key types, same for OEM and Retail. The keys don;t matter as much as the piece of paper........ kind of like college degrees.

--edit--

I have an MSDN universal so I can make 10 machiens with EVERY SINGLE MS APP IN EXISTANCE.... legally.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.