Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the main factor/factors that affect the windows startup time. i would imagine ram but would buying more really make that much of a difference.
not that my startup time really bothers me that much because at the moment windows boots faster than my monitor can warm up lol!!

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stevo3

What is the main factor/factors that affect the windows startup time. i would imagine ram but would buying more really make that much of a difference.
not that my startup time really bothers me that much because at the moment windows boots faster than my monitor can warm up lol!!

Outside of the physical components in your system, the majority of boot time directly coincides with how much free hd space you have, and all of the drivers needed to be loaded before windows can actually start... The more updates and service packs that keep coming out for windows adds an extra couple of seconds to the boot time unfortunately.

Ever noticed that right after a format windows loads before the first blue bar even finishes getting across? And then after installing nothing but windows updates and service packs it gradually continues to increase with each update.

Other than that, ram is pretty big factor, and the speed / data transfer rate of your hard drive. Raw cpu power is a factor as well but everything needs to be cooperating well to get decent boot times, doesn't sound like you're having a problem with that

·
Registered
930 Posts
yes, i agree the more peripherals that are connected to your system, the longer it takes, because [email protected]$$ windows just needs to load all of those "plug-and-play" drivers.

if you want to shorten your boot time, you should get microsoft bootvis, not sure of the link, but it optimizes yoru system a little

also, run disk cleanup regularly, and also defragment

i use raxco perfectdisk to defrag, it has this neat feature that puts the boot sector and system files to the head of the drive where it is more organizes, which also shaves off a few seconds.

·
Banned
789 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob
I also heard that the more fonts you have, the longer it takes

This is veeeeeeerrrrrrrry true, so true it makes me want to kill all microsoft employees.

I have about 2500 fonts, know how long it takes for me to boot to win? A LONG ASS TIME. lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts